Ruger #1 Frames

Help Support Ruger Forum:

smd189

Bearcat
I apologize if this has already been answered or if it is a stupid question. I tried to find the information on Ruger's website, Google, and searched the forum without finding an answer. The question is are all Ruger #1 Frames the same? I realize from 1A to 1B, 1S, Tropical, etc. the barrel length, contour, sight config, etc. changes. I have the opportunity to purchase two 1A's in 280 Remington. If I do, I would like to have one rebarreled in something larger such as 338 WM or 375 H&H. Would this be possible? Thank you.

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
So far in pulling No.1 hornets to 458's apart for my own needs, I have not found any real differences in the No.1 bare actions. I have heard about some extensions for the forearm being slightly different(barrel taper), but not run into that so far. Also have heard conversations about the early/late wood forend/receiver face fit to the receiver. Over the years the breechblock in some will be blued on top, some are white, etc; but the basic function is the same.

The ejector is a common part, other than the shape and reach of the hook for the specific caliber. So one could purchase a donor 458 Winchester No.1, tear it down, and put a hornet ejector in it.

Sometimes fitting is required for positive function with a new ejector, not to the hook, but to the sides of the base of ejector that goes over the major stud thru the action, ie left/right movements. Not a big deal at all.

One of the beauties of the no.1 action is its flexiblity, can become whatever you want, the only different part of the action is the ejector, which is a 10 buck thing and still sold to the users relatively easily.

The simple removal of the standard ejector and replacing with a magnum ejector will do what you want from the receiver's point of view, ie 473 to 532. The rest of it is up to you and your gunsmith. There is a fair amount of machine work to put an aftermarket barrel blank onto the action and function, the threading, chambering, ejector slot relief, the holes for the bases or quarterrib, and the sights if required...........but you already knew all of that........... :) ..........a bit more work than the basic bolt gun in general..................but to some........tis worth it............even in rimfire.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
A point that should be made is that both the calibers you mention were common factory chamberings over many years of production, so it might make a lot more sense to just sell or trade one of the 280's for a factory No. 1 in 338 or 375 H&H.
At least, that would be my thinking rather than going through the hassle and expense of having one rebarreled, unless your heart is set on an aftermarket barrel of some sort (or a cartridge that Ruger never chambered for!).

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

wunbe

Buckeye
The 280 1B is too good a rifle to mess with IMO and while not rare it is hard enough to find in good shape that someone would prize it. There are skads more 30-06s and 270s out there that would make a better platform but a 375 HH would require rebarrelling as the standard profile would not support a 375 mag rebore. The 338 WM would be an easy alteration.

wunbe

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Wunbe - I suspect he's talking about two of the recent 1A 280's, not the earlier red pad 1B. There are a still plenty of the 1A 280's for sale right now on the auction sites, albeit at prices that have kept them there for quite a while without any takers. Strange really, as I thought it would be a real seller given all the talk (wishful babble) about such a rifle over the years on the various forums.

(and your user name gives your obvious prejudice away. . . ;-))

wunbe

Buckeye
geweherfreund,

A you undoubtedly know, I have been cussing the 1A for its AH fore arm for years, my usename on many sites is a variant of 1B and its on my vanity license plate to boot. The 1B is hands down my favorite.

But I also have a strong strain of hypocrisy going for me. (Ask my wife.)

I actually have a 280 AI in a 1A! I bought it long ago from the gun writer John Barssness who had it had it made out of a 1A 7x57 for an article he did on the caliber in RIFLE magazine. He kindly threw in an autographed copy of the article. It kills deer too but first I have to get it out of the brown paper bag.

wunbe

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Yep, there are two kinds of people in the world - those who don't like the AH forearm, and those who rightly recognize them as the only proper front wood for a classic rifle like the No. 1 :)

picketpin

Buckeye
Splitz, I'll arm wrestle you for the first two that show up. :) I have two perfectly new "A" barrel channel Semi Beaver tails forearms of "AB"s I'd swapp for the appropriate Alex Henry and Heck I might even throw in a bit of boot.

Why would there be a huge or even reasonable demand for an "A" in 280? With the barrel that short a guy might just as well stick with the 7x57. Had a person been so inclined he/she could have punched one of those to 280 or 280AI any time in the last 40 years or so. Some time their cartridge selections dismay me.

Kind of like the 7-08s. A good idea. I on the other hand built mine years back with a take off barrel from one of the original KBs in 7-08. No I an NOT the guy that pulled the "B" apart. I did however gaffel up the barrel, cut it to 20 inches and make myself a slightly heavy #2 in 7-08.

I haven't bother to call Ruger AGAIN to see if they have any AH forearms now that they are finally shipping the Lipsey guns. Guess I should do that.

Ross

smd189

Bearcat
Thanks all. I think I will just purchase a 338/375 rather then second 280. I would still like to rebarrel the 22" 280 with a 24-26" 280 AI octogon. Any suggestions on a good smith? Thanks again.

RSIno1

Hunter
gewehrfreund said:
Yep, there are two kinds of people in the world - those who don't like the AH forearm, and those who rightly recognize them as the only proper front wood for a classic rifle like the No. 1 :)
There are 2 correct forearms. The AH and the one that reaches all the way to the muzzle - I'm not so suttle/clever with my user name.

43north

Bearcat
1A or RSI in:
7x64 Brenneke, 35 Rem is good, 358 Win might be better.
300 Savage. 25-35 Winchester.
Evidently I missed-out on the run of 6.5x55, and never heard of a 1A in 256 Win Mag.
Though to be honest, I'd like that in the 77/ bolt carbine instead.

gewehrfreund said:
I can't argue with that! I just wish the RSI came in a few more interesting calibers. 30-30, 308, or even, gasp!, 35 Rem.

Latest posts