Ruger #1 - .303 British

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Being a Ruger fan, and being from the far north, I frequent a website called http://www.canadiangunnutz.com. I stumbled across a thread the other day that asked about Ruger producing a Canadian #1 in 303 British. One of the site sponsors, Prophet River Firearms contacted Ruger and was told that with an order of 250 they could make it happen, and that Lipsey's would take 50. The thread is evolving, there's discussion on stock style RSI or A-H. Just thought I would pass this info along. If this did happen, and Lispey's were to get 50, I would think that would end up being a pretty collectible piece.

96/44

Blackhawk
I have never owned a #1, but would buy one in .303 in a heartbeat. Definitely one of the all time classic calibers, just seems like a perfect fit in a #1.

RJ556

Buckeye
OK. I told myself that I don't possibly need another gun. But, if they were made in a 1A, I would buy one of those 303's in a heartbeat. I might even sell a few other guns to finance getting Turnbulls to engrave and color case harden the receiver. :D

They are kicking it around. From looking over the post it seems that the 1A is being mentioned quite a bit. Ongoing discussion on wood, many like the idea of an RSI, some really don't care as long as its in 303. Clay at Prophet River posted that he had received 27 or so $200 deposits within a few hours of posting his conversation with the Ruger people. Promising, but a long way to go. Also, they are talking about a special serial number CAN1867-00001, or something to that effect.

If Prophet River is running an "exclusive" and is located in Canada, I guess the go-to contact in the US would be Lispey's since it was stated that they would take 50.

Hobie

Single-Sixer
Based on Lipsey's handling of their own .44 Spec FT it would be a near miracle to get one of the .303s out of them even if you walked into their offices with a check and an FFL tomorrow morning.

A

Anonymous

First choice would be a 1-S configuration followed by the 1-A. either of these and I would be interested and I would imagine that 3-5 of my acquaintances would also be willing. To me it would really need sights as the idea would be to replicate a turn of the century british light sporter. Just let me know where to place a deposit.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
:shock: Hellfire, we cannot seem to see daylight on the Lipsey #1A SS/walnut in 250 Savage, which is part of a "set" of SS/walnut stocked guns :roll: .........I heard of this brainstorm a couple of years ago, when it was reported that the subject came up at a Ruger Distributor-\Ruger Marketing Mtg. At that time, there was a quiet suspect that it was brought up because of the then current "new" run of 303 Ammo.........

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I can't say that I would be in line to buy a new one, but I would certainly be interested in one on the used market in the future. However, for me to be reeled in, it would have to be in the 1S configuration. Everything else has too short a barrel for such a classic rifle/cartridge combination.
You guys who are only interested in hunting with these things and want short barrels (for what reason, I don't know) might better be pushing for a 308 or 358 Win. JMO.
LC

Kanook

Buckeye
I would get one in a heartbeat. Just makes you wonder how much Lipsey's is gonna ask.

RJ556

Buckeye
If it is 1A, then I am in. It is not just the shortness of the barrel on 1A's that I like. It is also the lighter weight that you get from that smaller 1A barrel profile. Come on, 22 inches is plenty of barrel length to get good ballistic efficency from the 303 and most do not consider it a long range cartridge anyway.

585 Nyati

Bearcat
Glad to see someone beat me to alerting everyone on this forum about this project. I have already placed my order with ProphetRiver here in Canada for one of these. I would suggest that anyone on this site who is interested, contact both Lipseys and prophetriverrifles, as it appears it will be a joint venture between them

This wouldn't preclude any other business who currently sells, exports, imports ruger rifles currently from getting in on the ground floor. 250 units are called for to make the project worth while to Ruger, but I am sure there is no upper limit on numbers that could be produced.

It appears that either the 1- A or 1-S are the models to decide on at this point. Again to keep things simple attempts are being made to keep the rifle as close to a current production model as possible. Many changes or variations become the realm of a 'custom shop' operation and get very pricey. Get a stock one, then get it customized to your own taste if you so desire.

Hopefully this project will take flight soon and become a reality..

It looks like this project is really moving along. Pretty amazing that all of this has occurred in a weeks time. Here are a few of the most recent post from Clay the owner of Prophet River.

"OK, talked to the rep again. Looks like a RSI may be more difficult and, although there has been a lot of interest in the RSI, the majority , so far, has been a 1-A or S. I'm not sure why the RSI may be more difficult but my rep is not a technical guy either so he's got to get somebody at Ruger to answer these questions (and things are winding down for the hollidays).
Now, I've got to thinking, maybe this shouldn't be a 'Canadian' edidtion, so to speak, but a 'commonwealth' one? The email from the dealer in Australia made me remember there are a lot more than Canadians that hold the 303 near and dear.
Maybe the serial could start C303-0001?"

"Lots of good news, firstly, as far as I can tell, we are up to 87 rifles now. Sales rep was very excited too(of course, its $$$ for him) They are in contact with Ruger and they've been following the forums too. Seems this is going right around the world, literally, with lots of interest in the US, Australia, GB, and here in Canada, of course.
He did warn that Ruger can be hard to deal with this time of year as they are winding down for holidays.
Ideally, I'll love to give the go ahead early in January with enough orders to get this going."

www.prophetriver.com
Prophet River Firearms
2309-54 th Ave, Lloydminster, AB T9V 2T6

picketpin

Buckeye
If all you guys have coveted a #1 in 303 for so long why in the world didn't you just build one in the last 42 years???

I wish you luck and hope the "project turns out just like you want> Us dunnies down here are still waiting for the Lipskey run of promised 250 Savages that have been on "Hold" for going on 2 year.

Can't say I have any desire for a 303 and probably wouldn't spend the money on one. As memtioned it's more of a "commonwealth" thing.

RWT

BlkHawk73

Hunter
picketpin":1m68akpc said:
If all you guys have coveted a #1 in 303 for so long why in the world didn't you just build one in the last 42 years???

I wish you luck and hope the "project turns out just like you want> Us dunnies down here are still waiting for the Lipskey run of promised 250 Savages that have been on "Hold" for going on 2 year.

If you've been waiting so long for a .250 Sav, why not just build one? :D

Not a make or break for me, but I'd love to have one to tuck away. I'd have jumped on the .250 Sav list were it not stainless.

picketpin

Buckeye
Good respone. I haven't built a 250 Savage #1 because I would like it to be "factory" not a shooter/hunter as it would be a present for my son who already owns several Ruger 77s in 250 Savage.

Me I own 4 factory #1"B" rifles in 257 Roberts plus three, including a custon "A" in 257 Ackley Improved so the 250 would simply be another duplicate for ME, so I did build something awfully close.

The very best

Ross W Thomas
Owyhee County, ID

A

Anonymous

Why a 303 British? Simple answer is history. Since the design is reminiscent of a British Farquharson then on of the natural chamberings would be the quintessential small bore english calibers of that time a 303. Actually I am surprised that Bill Ruger being the historian he was didn't chamber it earlier.

picketpin

Buckeye
Well I don't claim to be English or even British.

I have exactly one Farquarharson and it's a 7x57R!!! It would be interesting how many were made under license in something other than "British" cartridges. The one I own was built by one of the big name "English" makers but was chambered in a very Germanic cartridge.

I have actually only seen 2 others up close and personal and niether was a 303.

RWT

I do however think nostalgia is as perfectly good a reason as any other for aa rifle and wish you all well and hope they do in fact get the project done.

Latest posts