Kanook

Buckeye
Click Photo to Enlarge
Category - Ruger Rifles Single Shot Rifles - American Sporting
Guns International #: 100105266

Lister Inventory #:
Ruger No.1 .303 British
Description:

Ruger No. 1 .303 British in pristine condition. Metal and wood is in 95% condition. Checkering is sharp and clean and the finish looks new. Barrel band front sight and barrel band sling swivel. Scope rings are present. Rare caliber in a desirable rifle in superb condition. Bore is clean and has been little used. Weight 8 Lbs.,2 oz. 12153308 $1,700.00
This is probably the coolest No.1 there is. A natural style for this round- Patrick

Price: $1700.00

HH

Bearcat
Take a look at the Number 3 in .30-40 Krag. The rifles already exist, the case is similar in size, the long neck is great for cast bullets, and there are no issues with barrel dimensions. I have a Liberty model that is very accurate.
HH

BlkHawk73

Hunter
HH":3q74zn4f said:
Take a look at the Number 3 in .30-40 Krag. The rifles already exist, the case is similar in size, the long neck is great for cast bullets, and there are no issues with barrel dimensions.
HH

1) not exactly a common model nor easily found.

2) "similar" isn't what's desired. It's more of a desire for a different chambering - a specific chambering. Why not just have a .30-06 and be done with anything else?

A

Anonymous

For me the most desirable of all of the #1's is the original 1-S configuration with the 26" barrel, sights and AH forend and blued of course. The problem with it was it was only available in magnum calibers. which I don't especially care for. So the prospect of getting one in a reasonable small bore caliber is attractive. The 303 would be cool, as would a 30-40 or a 30-06 even a 30-30 would be neat

Looks like this project is gaining speed. Clay of Prophet River says he has commitments for 139 #1's and Lipsey's will be taking another 50. A few dealers in Australia, New Zealand and S. Africa also will be taking a few.

Here is the poll on CGN to determine which configuration to approach Ruger with & to determine firm costing.

Woops, the poll won's paste on here.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/sh ... p?t=417196

The leading configuration at this point with 44% is:

1S Medium Sporter (alex henry fore end 24" or 26" barrel )

Looks like we have a go on the 303 # 1 -

" Ruger #1 303 British will be made!
We just received word today that Ruger will make the 1-A in 303 British. They are comitted to it. That's very good news and should be well received here in Canada!!

Now there is a bit of bad news
They haven't given us a timeline yet. Also, if you wanted a different configuration, I guess we are out of luck.
Lastly, these are not an exclusive, they will be 'on the line' which means regulatr pricing but no special serials, etc.

We' are currently very busy with a large shipment and aren't really up for 200+ phone calls right now about the 303's.
To make things as fair as possible and to give everbody time to find out about this, I'll stat taking $400 deposits on Wednesday March 17. First deposits in, will get the first rifles. Please let me know if this is fair? As its a line item, they will be $1199 ($1279.95 with taxes in and shipped anywhere in Canada)

Thanks to all who have called in and made this 'push' possible. Please let as many know as possible as I'm swamped right now and am lacking time to make a bunch of calls"

When the idea of a #1 in .303 originally came up on the CGN site everyone figured it would need to be a special run, sorta a Canadian Special exclusive. Prophet River Firearms pitched the idea to Lipsey's, and I believe it was discussed at the SHOT show. Ruger has decided to add it to regular production, instead of a special run. My understanding is that over the next week or so that a release date should be announced. Clay will start taking $400 deposits on March 17th for the Canadian buyers, my take is that anyone that purchases direct from Ruger would be able to order them.
All of this is my take on several threads on the CGN forum, nonetheless this combination should be a classic.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
8) Like I said, ala, different strokes for different folks. While one of you can have my copy of this rifle, I would still like to know where the hell the 250-3000 number One A Light Sporter is...........? RUGER: A Domestic Company-W/Domestic buyers(could sell 500, I'd bet)Now, we are off to the British Isles and their estranged cousins. This is a British world class cartridge, period. We have been told of the 250 Savage for nearly three years.........So, what the hell is rocket science about building it? Suggest the end of build on African cartridges and the re-entry into the world of U.S. driven and shot/used cartridges..........NOW. BTW, build them on the #1 S platform: AH forend, sights and rings, 26" barrel, historic red pad, figured wood with consistency and acknowledged higher price.........Think about it, PLEASE. :wink: MIKE.......... BTW, I have flown the flag for this great business for 40 years. You never sent me a check and I never asked for one. Stop and listen to the purchasing world and ignore the round table of staff who never ask us what we can use, will purchase and shoot, maybe even collect............ "Ever done a survey of BUYERS??" That is "Customer" at the end of the buy/sell chain if you have never heard the question............. Call me if you want to discuss.............I am easy, and also, opinionated(If you did not know by now.....)
All the Best,
Mike

Splitz been thinking about that myself. Lets also throw in some first variation checkering to make it really special. Roll mark it 250-3000 with no warning on top of barrel.

picketpin

Buckeye
I delighted for those of you that want one. I personally think it should be made in the "S" rather than the "A" but that's a personal thing.

Frankly I just don't see it as a standard production item and while "popular" in the British Commonwealth other than buying one with the hope it ends up rare see zero reason for USA shooters to buy one over the 30-06.

With ALL the issues going on in Commonwealth countries and the cost associated and the difficulties with ownership, inportation etc. I can't see them selling a truck load but hey, that's me.

Is our friend in England that already owns 4 centerfire rifles going to sell one off so he can get this and still be within the law???

#1s seem to have one heck of a time getting to Australia is this one going to be any easier to get.

Gee if it's standard production why does ANYBODY need to pay a deposit? I've bought one Hell of a lot of #1s over the last 40+ years and as best I can remember have NEVER had to pony up money up front.

While I own, shoot and collect #1s I have to admit this one won't be on my list. I buy #1s to shoot, some turn out to be collectable or rare but unless it meets a need/niche it just doesn't get bought in the first place. Own #1s in 280 and 30-06 and 300 Win Mag and .................. no idea what this does other than provide cheap surplus ammo if I happened to live in a Commonwealth country. As I don't shoot ammo I don't make this isn't even an issue with me.

Me, I just want my 250-3000 and yes I could make one but I'd like this one to be factory roll marked.

Ross W Thomas

I agree with what Picketpin & Hawkeye have said and think that Ruger is missing the boat if they produce the 303 before producing the 250 Savage. I for one would have been more excited if they were going to roll out some in 300 Savage...yes I know, to each his own.

The only way this project would light my fire is if I was certain that I could get one with exceptional wood, then maybe if I could afford it.

I think the reason that Prophet River is taking deposits is to make sure that he has money up front when he places his order, just my guess, I don't have a dog in this race.

chet15

Hawkeye
Pressonregardless":3tdmf6h9 said:
I think the reason that Prophet River is taking deposits is to make sure that he has money up front when he places his order, just my guess, I don't have a dog in this race.

Did that for the NM Lightweight Single-Six Ruger was thinking of buiding at one time :shock:
....but they never made that one either. :cry:
Chet15

Con

Bearcat
picketpin":3d2lvlib said:
With ALL the issues going on in Commonwealth countries and the cost associated and the difficulties with ownership, inportation etc. I can't see them selling a truck load but hey, that's me.

#1s seem to have one heck of a time getting to Australia is this one going to be any easier to get.
Ross W Thomas

Hey Ross,
Respectfully, from an Australian perspective ... half our problems are YOUR SIDE of the pond.

Ruger No1s in 303British will sell well to a small specialty market if only Ruger would supply the amount ordered and in a timely manner.

But realistically ... our entire national gun sales would not match WalMarts so we're seen as a low priority. Probably about 800,000 licensed shooters in all of Australia.
Cheers...
Con
PS: No cheap surplus 303 military ammunition left even on our market. But we have 6 species of deer, 2 species of bovines, wild cattle, pigs, goats etc that can be freely and easily hunted that will still drop to the 303British. Mind you ... I'd prefer to launch a 215gr Woodleigh from a Lee Speed sporter ... and damn it I missed a $650 one last week that I'm still steaming about. :)

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Respectfully, We love you Aussies and know you have stuck by us, thru thick and thin. May we always do the same. I am old enuf to remember the Nip's march across the Pacific. They still trouble me and the fact that they killed hundreds of thousands and never acknowledged or apologized. The late Stephen Vogel, My Friend, loved you folks and there is a real Ruger patch/brassard for Australia, the orange, silver, and black, I call it.
Hope you can obtain some of these 303's. All the Best, 8) :wink:
Splitz