RSSM with only 5 digits in serial number!!!????!!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SATCOM

Blackhawk
I am trying to help a guy over on the RCA site with an impossible combination of model and serial number. He has Single Six with

Ruger Single-Six
Win..22 RF MAG. CAL.
on left side

AND

302xx on the right side.

Pictures provided on RCA site are worthless but he sent me a couple of the serial number showing distinctly stamped numbers 302xx with no sign of a removed digit.
It is chromed and I thought that might have something to do with the problem but, no.

http://www.rugercollectorsassociation.com/forums/posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=7457

Any ideas? I explained to him what/when/serial #s and such for RSSM. Then I all but told the guy he needs glasses but no RSSM with 5 digits.

Please help.

SATCOM

I went over there and tried to "splain" things to him, the one picture definitely shows a "magnum" marked receiver on his RSSM, but the numbers I could NOT make out and he is wrong someplace,I told him maybe the person who plated the gun, did something to the serial number but he seems to want that gun to be one from 1955 and the frame is NOT,sorry..........
the 22 magnum was NOT developed until sometime in 1959 and the guns were to follow.........

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Dan,

Thanks for your detailed responses to captainbo over on the RCA. First one confirmed why things were wrong and second one explained possibilities of how.

SATCOM

yes, and as they often say "never say never" but to me it always seems to be happening to a gun that was "customized" redone, plated, etc, and on and on,,,,wish someone would have this "noted" when the gun was NEW and still in the original box,BUT then obviously any decent gun shop, sales person, shipping, whomever should have caught on the numbers did NOT match the 'package" and we would know just what is what , and why.....not that hard to spot 6 digit, versus 5 digits.......
this being said I question the work, what was done at the time of the plating, gee wonder how those numbers were entered in any books, invoices, inventory...........
I would really like to look/see/handle the gun and do some measurements,as most of us would notice some difference in the numbering ,font size, thickness of the frame, etc..........
good try on your part to help the poor guy out who only wants a gun made in his birth year ,1955
gosh, I have one sitting here in the 12,xxx range .....................never know 8) :roll: :wink:

alas the original owner sent it back to the factory at the start of the "safety conversions", and before that had a Premiere loading gate installed ( should be a flatgate) and broke the original 'hard rubber' ( plastic) grips so fitted an anniversary style ,"new" XR-3 set of grips......all this over time since 1955.............

chet15

Hawkeye
...and the first true prototypes were in the 110xxx range, before Ruger decided to give them their own 3xxxxx six-digit serial number sequence.
Chet15