Round top 7mm rem mag accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

indybleck

Bearcat
When I shoot I use a weighted rest, so there is no recoil to me. That's the way I shoot on initial sight in to take that factor out of the equation, been down that road with my boys. Going to the range Sunday we'll see what happens. Might be on the market by next week.

indybleck

Bearcat
Well, no better thinking about having pillars put in and bedding the action. Don't know if it's worth it or not. Also thinking about getting a Boyd's thumbhole stock......any advice

indybleck

Bearcat
Decided to look closer into what's going on with the 7mm. Checked the barrel clearance and decided free float the barrel. When I took the barrel off I noticed the front stud for the sling looked a little tall, plus I could see where the barrel was sitting in the stock. Found some dowel rod and sand paper and got to work. I now have clearance to about an 1.5 inches in front of the action. Plan on getting that cleaned up also. Put the front stud in and sure enough watched it move the barrel before it bottomed out. Took it out and cut about an eighth of an inch off, put it back in tighten up and didn't move the barrel. Now off to the range, one more thing I'm going to try is glass bed the recoil lug.

indybleck

Bearcat
No kidding, couldn't believe it once I started really looking close. That sling stud was really what surprised me. Man that thing was standing proud.

indybleck

Bearcat
Got it down to little over 1 inch group. Still a little work to do on the stock, took it apart when I got home and found a spot in front of the action that didn't have enough clearance. So I'm cleaning that up and still thinking about glassing the lug. I don't think it's difficult the smith I go to wants $85 to do it. I'm just a little shy about getting compound in the threads on the lug and not being able to get the bolt out. Any pointers on the right way to do that.

Thanks
Tom

Littlebluetruck

Bearcat
Hello,
Here is a link to a pretty good thread about bedding a 77. I followed it when bedding a gunsight scout rifle and had good results. I think I coated the stock bolt with a release agent and after that dried, axle grease.
I have found modeling clay helpful with bedding jobs. There are often minor pockets or low spots that could cause mechanical locking when the bedding dries. A small amount of clay will level them off and it goes better.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3003214/DIY_bedding_M77_pic_heavy#Post3003214

Rich

indybleck

Bearcat
Littlebluetruck that thread is great. Took me two days to get through it. Lot of great info. Bell and Carlson doesn't make stocks for the older M 77 tang safety and don't have any. Just going to keep going with what I got.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Antique or no, still a fine rifle, of which I own several.

I have an early 77 round top 7mm mag, took it to Colorado this year and it did the job on a good 5x5 bull. Mine shot well with 160 gr Nosler Partition handloads, but that's the only bullet I shot in it because that's what I wanted to shoot. I used Reloder 25 powder in Federal cases with Federal magnum primers, got 1.25" groups, a few a little better than that. My groups opened up if I shot very rapidly. As has been suggested, let your rifle cool between shots when sighting in and developing loads. When you have your load like you want it, see what kind of 3-shot groups you can produce waiting one minute between successive shots. As has also been stated, some 77s are finicky about forend pressure, others not so much. Mine shoots well with a little pressure so I have not floated it.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Hey, I think the tang safety is one fine rifle. I would not want any other. My Tang is very accurate. I've taken many deer with it. Coyotes I found 130 Core Loks are too much! There is a Tang safety in my LGS, 25.06, for 500.00 plus. I look at it often. I did not disrespect the Tang. It just happens that half of my Rugers are antiques.

indybleck

Bearcat
Got the group down to a half inch. So far seems to like 59 gr of IMR 4350 pushing a Nosler partition 150 gr bullet. Concentrating on load development now. Looking at seating depth and amount of powder and maybe different glass. Going to leave the recoil lug alone, I didn't glass bed it. Thanks for all the help. All I can say for this rifle it liked free floating the barrel and hand loads is going on the right direction now.