Rotating the barrel on a Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I recently picked up a used 4" Redhawk .44 that has an ever so slightly over-indexed barrel. I haven't stripped and measured it yet, and it isn't terrible visually, but it's enough to make it shoot to the right even with the rear sight cranked pretty much all the way to the left.

If I attempt to rotate the barrel counterclockwise (after properly clamping and bracing everything, of course), aren't I going to open up the cylinder gap somewhat? How would I compensate for this?

A Redhawk (non-Super) uses a standard right hand thread, correct?

-- Sam

flatgate

Hawkeye
I've zero experience with the Redhawk but the miniscule amount you will turn that barrel will NOT have an adverse effect on the B/C gap unless the barrel's thread pitch is very coarse.

JMHO,

flatgate

J Miller

Blackhawk
Ooooo Oooooo a hammer mechanic :D. I can relate to that. I'd suggest starting with a 18" Crescent Wrench and a 3 # hammer.

If that don't work, get a bigger hammer. ;)

Just kidding of course :)

To be honest this is exactly what I need to do to my OM BH. The front sight tilts to left just enough for my eyes to see it, and for me to have to move the rear sight off center.
Both those things bug me.

Sam, please do tell us how this comes out. If it works good I'll drive up and we can do mine :D :roll:

Joe

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I also got a hint from this article.

I've dug into a few firearms and haven't messed anything up yet. This would be my first barrel adjustment, though I did build my AR-15 from scratch, including the use of all the proper wrenches and vices (mostly loaned, thankfully). With smaller parts I usually buy a second part, and modify that, that way if I mess it up I can always put the original back in. I also try not to get involved in anything I know to be beyond my ability...

-- Sam

most of the times, that "slight nudge" is all that is need, and things won't "loosen" ...its if you go TOO far 'back' and it becomes loose, then it starts to "snowball"......I'd give it a tweek,but as said and you well know,gotta have the proper "wrench/vise" combination, so as to NOT mar, bend or crack anything..........it is usually that "first, initial, impact..." that makes things happen...............( that is where the 'practice comes in but in these cases, being a gun by gun "experience", seldom happens the same way twice......it may take years, or you may get 'lucky' the first time.......)
as for it being a Redhawk, you should be alright, if it was a 'Super Redhawk',I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.....they ( Ruger) put some together that were cross threaded, stripped out, and "epoxied" on with Lord knows what ................ :shock: (been there, done that........)

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Rugerguy has the right idea! Ultimately you can't be sure how the barrel went on to begin with! For many years I went with the method of a good first initial impact. Because of "mixed" results, I put together a receiver wrench with a long heavy metal handle to give myself a much better "leverage" on initial barrel turning. The "only" problem I encountered with this method was on a few 93/95 Mausers that were extremely "rusted" in place. On these, the receivers "twisted"! On modern revolvers, you normally will not encounter this problem........................Dick :wink:

The nice thing about the LONG handle on the wrench, you have much better "control" and that initial "tap" or "nudge" can often be done with just the palm of your hand, you have MORE leverage, so "less" force needed. :wink:

wonder how much I applied for this job?????

pairSRHbarrels.jpg

and if you want to know "why"?? look at the threads on the one , on the right...............(yes, put on by the factory that way.....)

srhbarsscrap.jpg

Just so you don't get all excited as to "what happened"...these were guns that we're "destroyed by one of the local 'PD", and we removed parts that could be 'salvaged'...your tax dollars at work.... :evil: