Rossi Lever Actions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just curious on any feedback on the Rossi Lever action rifles. My Son likes the 480 in the Redhawk and we have seen that they have it in a lever action. Most seem to be in the $450 t0 $500 range new.
Thanks in advance.

gunman42782

Hunter
I owned one in .45 Colt a few years back. Pretty decent little gun, but I hated the ugly safety they put on the bolt! As for them being collecteable, I know of no one that collects Rossis.

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
I know a few SASS folks that collect the pre-safety Rossi, and frankly if I saw one for sale, I'd have to be $maxed out$ before I'd pass it up.

The Rossi clones of the 1892 Winchester are the kitty's whiskers: reliable, very accurate (with a rear sight replacement), and inexpensive to boot.

Yes, the Safety on the new ones is a bit of an eyesore and an affront to the intelligence of most shooters, but it "can" be lived with. I have a Trapper length 44 magnum with this abberation on it and
1) it's not too obtrusive
2) there has to be a round chambered to activate it and
3) it can be removed and replaced with a flat topped pin

My 44 Mag Trapper still wears the safety - it simply isn't all that bad.

YMMV

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I just picked up a .357 lever Rossi that is in great shape. I have only shot it a few times; but really like it. I do not collect them and have minimal knowledge about it; in fact, I had to look it up on the internet to learn something about them after I bought it. A friend of mine had it (inherited) and had no use for it, so we struck a deal. I plan to shoot it.

Ethang

Blackhawk
I have one in 24" in 45 Colt. The factory sights did not have enough adjustment but Brownells fixed that. I really like the rifle and plan to buy either a 20 or 16" to go with it.

BTW Steve's gunz is the guy for slicking them up. I got his DVD and did an action job myself.

bob308

Bearcat
i have a pre safety in .357. it is a very handy carbine goes nice with my 3 screw blackhawk in .357. it will roll a groundhog or a deer.

I had a 92 Win replica Rossi in 44 Mag. It was solid, reliable, and had acceptable accuracy. One other thing, it kicked like a mule with 44 Mag huntingloads, especially off the bench. The rifle is long gone, but curiously, I still have the box. Anybody want one??

Dave

Johnnu2

Hunter
i have an old model Rossi in 45 COLT and love it...i did nothing to it but shoot it for a few years in CAS....everything always worked and still does...the wood was a bit lousy so i refinished it and now it's fine....i love mine as much or more than if it were a real Winchester (albeit from Bra zil I think).......John N

XLIV

Single-Sixer
Picked up a 357 '92 Rossi 6 or 7 years ago off the sasswire for dirtcheap..it shoots strong. Always intended on sending it off to Nate Kiowa Jones (aka Steve) for a tune-up but it's never failed and shoots faster than I can already. he's raised his price a couple times since then..perhaps I'll just leave it as is. The case color is still vividly strong. Beautiful blue. Don't know how they sold them so inexpensively.

Everytime I get to admiring it I think how cool it would be to shoot a deer with it.

pete44ru

Hunter
I've had a .357 and a .45 Rossi, both 16" barreled later models with the bolt-top safety.

The safeties on both went bye-bye ASAP, both with replacement filler plugs I handmade - one of which I D/T'd for a Skinner Lo-Pro peep sight (which worked very well).

DSCN0053.JPG

The other, I D/T'd the top rails for a Williams 5D-94AE peep:

th_DSCN0385.jpg

Both rifles shot & operated excellently right out of the box - and had very decent wood/fit/finish to boot.

AFAIK, the .480 Model 92, like the .454's, have a screwed-in magazine tube to attenuate damage from recoil, and have a dual loading setup.
They can be loaded either via the normal receiver side loading gate, or through the front of the magazine tube, similar to a .22 rimfire.

patrick_ford

Bearcat
I have a blued short rifle from EMF in .45 colt. It has a 20" octagonal barrel and a crescent butt plate. I love this rifle; it can handle everything from mild target loads to my Ruger-only hunting loads.

It has decent stocks and is especially nice since mine does not have a safety. It was about $400 a couple years ago.

They are definitely a good deal if you can one that suits you.

Enjoy!

Patrick

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Even though I don't seem to shoot it a lot, I really like my older Rossi (Interarms) M92 357 Mag. It has been reliable, accurate and a nice cheap alternative to a Win. 92. It seems like the perfect home defense rifle too.

XLIV

Single-Sixer
..that 357/44 Bain and Davis is way cool..I just gave a B&D cylinder and crane to a friend who's gonna dress up a model 27 with it. I see T/C has a barrel out for it as well..

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
Old Judge Creek":3p9wyirw said:
I know a few SASS folks that collect the pre-safety Rossi, and frankly if I saw one for sale, I'd have to be $maxed out$ before I'd pass it up.

The Rossi clones of the 1892 Winchester are the kitty's whiskers: reliable, very accurate (with a rear sight replacement), and inexpensive to boot.

Yes, the Safety on the new ones is a bit of an eyesore and an affront to the intelligence of most shooters, but it "can" be lived with. I have a Trapper length 44 magnum with this abberation on it and
1) it's not too obtrusive
2) there has to be a round chambered to activate it and
3) it can be removed and replaced with a flat topped pin

My 44 Mag Trapper still wears the safety - it simply isn't all that bad.

YMMV

Just got a puma pre safety form a friend.When did they start w/ the safety on top? Trying to figure on the age.Its a 20in. blue, round barrel.Maybe 50 rds. shot in it.Interarms on the box.Got for $300.Hope it was a good deal.Ex owner is a SASS active member.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Several years ago, I bought an old Interarms Puma .357 from an individual who advertised it in the local weekly shopper. I paid $175 for it and have been very happy with it's accuracy and functioning, though I don't shoot it as much as I'd like (too many guns, not enough time).

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
gewehrfreund":1qpu9or9 said:
Several years ago, I bought an old Interarms Puma .357 from an individual who advertised it in the local weekly shopper. I paid $175 for it and have been very happy with it's accuracy and functioning, though I don't shoot it as much as I'd like (too many guns, not enough time).
You really got a good deal!Glad you like yours.I preferred to get a 357 but the lowest now used is $450.Couldn't pass this one up since I was waitng almost a year till the party was back in AZ.The 45 ammo is tough to find.My neighbor reloads, so after I buy some I get him to teach me reloading.

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
I just ordered a new one in .45 Colt with the 20" round barrel. Been looking for one for a while and this was a deal I couldn't pass up. Can't wait till it gets here!

Latest posts