Roll or taper crimp die for 45 colt & 45 ACP??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Arnold Stuart

Bearcat
Just received My Lipsey convertible 45 Colt/ACP, and ready to reload. I have the RCBS 3-die Carb set 19112. What crimp Die do you folks recommend , a roll crimp or taper crimp? OR DOES IT MATTER? Brian Pearce's article > hand loader magazine recommends roll crimp. I would NOT LIKE to buy another crimp die and I really don't know what the crimp die is in the RCBS dies that I now have,
SO IF I HAVE NOT CONFUSED YOU ALL ENOUGH ALREADY PLEASE HELP.

Arnold

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I do not have a 45 colt; but I do like to taper crimp the 45 ACP.

I use the Hornady taper crimp die.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Conventional practice is a roll crimp on "revolver" ammo (rimmed cases), and a taper crimp on "auto" ammo (rimless cases.)

However, there are those who successfully taper crimp what we'd think of as standard revolver cartridges. Only one way to find out if it works for you: taper crimp some of the .45 Colts, and watch for bullet movement in the cases as you shoot. Normally you'll expect recoil to cause the bullet to "back out" of the case, lengthening the overall length of the round. In extreme cases, the bullet can move enough to jam up the cylinder against the frame.

If you have no problems, carry on! If you DO have problems, the Lee Factory Crimp Die works well.

Rick C

anachronism

Single-Sixer
Taper crimps prevent the bullet being driven back into the case during the feeding cycle of a semi-auto. Roll crimps prevent a bullet from creeping forward from a cartridge case under inertia from recoil. They perform almost opposite mechanical functions to perform a similar task. Try crimping with your current die set to see what you have, however, don't try to seat the bullet & crimp at the same time until you know. Taper crimps should always be applied in a separate stage. If you have RCBS 45 ACP/45 Colt dies, I'm guessing you have a roll crimp die. If it is a roll crimp die, you can roll crimp either cartridge with it, as long as you don't try to feed a semi-auto a roll crimped cartridge. Most of them don't like that.- Yup, I phrased that wrong. You'll need a taper crimp for a 45 ACP in a single action. You could roll crimp a 45 ACP only if you have a revolver with moon clips, which you don't.

Steve Myers

Single-Sixer
Roll crimp the 45 Colt. Taper crimp the 45 ACP.

The RCBS carbide Colt dies are made to taper crimp. The RCBS carbide ACP dies are made to taper crimp.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I agree with Wireman134. I have a Ruger SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible. I roll crimp the .45 Colt and taper crimp the .45 ACP. The .45 ACP headspaces on the mouth of the case. It is NOT a good idea to roll crimp the .45 ACP as you will no longer have anything to control the headspace.

I use the Lee Factory Crimp die in both. The .45 Colt Lee die roll crimps, the .45 ACP die taper crimps.

Dale53

Rugerbilly

Bearcat
I reload .30 Carbine, .38 Special, and .45 Colt, and I possess only taper crimp dies for each of these calibers. Once upon a time I read somewhere that brass lasts longer if you taper crimp as opposed to roll crimping. Does any of you RugerForum brothers and sisters know whether there is truth to this?
In any case, I have never experienced bullet slippage in the case, even when firing full power .45 Colt handloads (300 gr. jacketed SP bullet, CCI 350 magnum primer, 20.5 grains H110). A firm taper crimp seems to hold the bullet in place quite securely. Occasionally, if I crimp really firmly, a very, very slight halo of brass is trimmed from the casemouth.
My handloads are accurate, and I have reloaded some of my brass 8 times.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I don't know about that... I'd say you should be getting about 50+ reloads from a standard pressure .45 Colt/.38 Special/.44 Special, a bit less in hot rod loadings and at least 20 from the various semi auto cases. Semi autos are harder on cases anyway.

Rugerbilly

Bearcat
mattsbox99 said:
I don't know about that... I'd say you should be getting about 50+ reloads from a standard pressure .45 Colt/.38 Special/.44 Special, a bit less in hot rod loadings and at least 20 from the various semi auto cases. Semi autos are harder on cases anyway.

The brass that has been reloaded 8 times still looks fine, too!

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
I have had bullets jump crimp in 45 Colt. cast 325 gr RFN, some Ruger only load. I Did roll crimp, just not firmly enough. This was in a 5.5 in BH. Expanded wioth a Lyman M-Die.

The 45 ACP cylinder is to 45 ACP spec. Mine and a lot of folks can not load cast bullets sized to .452 with any bearing surface forward of the case mouth.

I fiond revolver case life is most affected by the amount of expanding done. Using the M-Die, I don't need to bell the mouth. Belling followed by roll crimping seemed to me to drastically reduce case life. I have case with over 30 loadings of full house 44 Mag. When a case does fail (R-P only so far), they do not fail at the mouth. I get a split in the side of the case that does not extend to the base nor the mouth.

A tapewr crimp on a 45 ACP round does not prevent setback. If you look at military ball ammo, you will see a cannelure in the case just below the base of the bullet. That will prevent setback. You use a taper crimp on auto rounds for:

1. To remove any expansion at the mouth so the round fully chambers
2. To make sue you ahve the full thickness of the case mouth engaging ther end of the chamber, ensuring proper headspacing. If it's crimped too tight, the OD of the case mouth can approach the ID of the forward end of the chamber. The slide slamming forward could drive the case past that, throwing off headspace and causing problems.

Dale53

Blackhawk
Iron Mike Golf said:
The 45 ACP cylinder is to 45 ACP spec. Mine and a lot of folks can not load cast bullets sized to .452 with any bearing surface forward of the case mouth.

After I reamed both cylinders' throats, I was THEN able to load .45 ACP's with the full diameter (.452") ahead of the case mouth. It now works perfectly with .452" bullets (in a .4525" cylinder throat).

Dale53

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Use a Redding Profile Crimp Die for a roll crimp on 45 Colt cases; use the LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die for the 45 ACP.

Yeah.
No arguing about my advice please, because you know I'm absolutely correct.