Rock music and feeling OLD

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
So I was poking around You Tube watching old Midnight Special shows. My mom didn’t care for that “long hair hippy” music so, I only watched the Midnight Special when I thought she was asleep and with the volume REAL low. LOL.

Montrose was on in 1973 playing Bad Motor Scooter and I had forgot Sammy Hagar was their singer.

Looking up info on Hagar shocked me to find out Sammy Hagar ~ the Red Rocker ~ is 75 years old!

Good grief …. I got old quick! :ROFLMAO:

DGW1949

Hunter
I hear what ya'll are saying. Myself, I'm 73 years old and have always been more of a Do-Wap and (early) Rock type of guy. Plenty of that on YouTube also....Back then, musicians and singers had talent. Today, it seems that all they have is attitude...not the same thing at all....As far as getting old, I didn't realize how old I was untill Ronnie Specter died and I got to thinking about how long ago the 50's-60's really were.

Danjet500

Buckeye
I still have that album. Four good songs on it, "Rock Candy", " Space Station #5", "Bad Motor Scooter" and "Rock the Nation". Both Ronnie and Sammy at their best. Ronnie passed about ten years ago.

KIR

Blackhawk
I am a fan of Art Laboe's Oldies But Goodies albums and the music played on them. I have several obscure R&B albums as well which showcases famous singers before they became big stars. I am 79.... and still slow dancin' to the music...

Ride1949

Buckeye
16627543798133058657584595720454.jpg

You Young Whippersnappers.
Hell I was there when Rock and Roll started. My first record was Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley and The Comets after seeing the movie Blackboard Jungle. I also saw Elvis's first movie "Love Me Tender" a Western. We all got an 8x10 of Elvis. Wish I would have kept it.

gunman42782

Hunter
What is kinda funny, I work at an elementary school, and a lot of the kids wear T-shirts of bands that I grew up with, like AC/DC, Led Zepplin, and the like. I often wonder if they really like those bands or their parents (or more likely, grandparents) just bought them the shirts!

GasGuzzler

Hunter
What is kinda funny, I work at an elementary school, and a lot of the kids wear T-shirts of bands that I grew up with, like AC/DC, Led Zepplin, and the like. I often wonder if they really like those bands or their parents (or more likely, grandparents) just bought them the shirts!
My youngest of four is a 12YO 7th grader and she spends most of her free time listening to '80's music. She wears the t-shirts but pays the dues. My three youngest are musicians but one of them (middle son) only listens to symphonic and marching band music (at home anyway). He's the future composer (9th grade). My oldest daughter (20 YO) is the Classic Rock fan.

I am not yet 50 and have a vinyl collection (and a vintage console stereo) of about 50-60 records. We also have about 400 CDs and 250 cassettes.

eveled

Hunter
I go down a you tube music rabbit hole sometimes. I enjoy the music ( classic rock and old country). But I inevitably find out someone I like has passed on and I end up sad. Dan Seals, Chris Ledoux, Nancy Griffith, etc they didn’t make headlines when they died and I found out from the comments on the videos. They all died too young. Now I’m afraid to read the comments.

Somehow I missed learning about John Prine until he was sick then he passed. What a loss to the music world.

Its also hard to watch them in one video in their prime then see a video where they are older. Melissa Etheridge comes to mind, she was so cute when she was young, I was shocked by a current video of hers. I guess I forgot she was getting older too?

Then I’m reminded how old I am, how short life is, how young my dad died, his dad died even younger. Friends I’ve lost or I’m loosing. I end up in a dark sad place.

Its ironic the music makes me happy then I end up dark and sad. It was worse when I was drinking. Thank God I quit!

It’s also ironic that the ones who died before I was around don’t make me sad when I enjoy their music.

Last edited:

So I was poking around You Tube watching old Midnight Special shows. My mom didn’t care for that “long hair hippy” music so, I only watched the Midnight Special when I thought she was asleep and with the volume REAL low. LOL.

Montrose was on in 1973 playing Bad Motor Scooter and I had forgot Sammy Hagar was their singer.

Looking up info on Hagar shocked me to find out Sammy Hagar ~ the Red Rocker ~ is 75 years old!

Good grief …. I got old quick! :ROFLMAO:
the red rocker said he's never gunna announce a retirement tour! you got love that mentality!

contender

Ruger Guru
Ahh, music. A timeless thing for all generations.
My Dad,, in his youth was a professional dancer. He even had a dance & charm school. Then WWII happened, and after the war,, he was too old to compete. And while he was gone to war,, of course his school went away as well.
So, he came to this little town of Lake Lure, and started building a building & business.
A 2-story building,, which was a restaurant downstairs, and a once a week nightclub upstairs.
He called it; "The El Tango!"
Then Dad got into being a talent booking agent, to go along with his love of music & dancing.
By the time I was born, it was a hot spot on Saturday nights here in Lake Lure to go to the El Tango for many, many people. While my mom ran the restaurant downstairs,, dad ran the club upstairs.
I was born, and on saturday nights, I'd be in a baby crib, behind the counter, while bands played, people danced & all to music of the era.
I enjoy a diverse array of music,, and recall so many bands, songs, & such. I remember stuff from the early 60's on. And yes,, I do feel old when I hear something from that era, and realize how long ago it was.
But as mentioned above,, it used to be you really had to have TALENT to make it in the business. Unless you had talent,, you were quickly forgotten. And my dad would have bands & singers from all over come to the El Tango to try & get him to be their agent. He had a solid business booking bands all up & down the eastern seaboard. Back them a simple recording was not the way he'd do business. If a band was serious,, they had to come here, set up, and play,, just for dad. (Not on a Saturday night.) He'd listen, he'd make requests, and go from there.

I find myself nowadays reflecting upon that time, the music & many performers. I too prefer mostly the older stuff. Beach, Shag, early R&R, Country, Motown, & in general, stuff from the late 50's until the early 80's. Give me the Righteous Brothers, Beach Boys, Drifters, Temptations, Conway, Jan & Dean, Tommy James & the Shondells, BB King, Ray Charles, Elvis, Neil Diamond, & so many others from that era, and I just relax & smile.
I still have a big stack of records,, and a fairly good selection of CD's.
Throw in a few of the older dance movies,, especially with Gene Kelly & it can erase away a bad mood quickly.

Sadly,, too few people are real artists nowadays. Well, at least what the music industry feeds us.

Jack Ryan

Single-Sixer
Coincidence? Last night I was wandering around utube and ran across a "Ten Years After" video. WOW, I hadn't even THOUGHT about that band in 30 years and now I'm amazed they weren't a "bigger deal" over the years. Went through their whole utube catalogue. Very cool.

Ride1949

Buckeye
I saw Ten Years After in Denver. (in '73 if I remember correctly) The warm up band was Manfred Mann's Earth Band. Great concert. I'd never heard of Manfred Mann until then. They stole the show.

Last edited: