Rock Island Armory M1911-A2

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I mentioned picking this up a couple of weeks ago, and figured I should post some pictures. It's the RIA/Armscor "M1911-A2", which is a high capacity (14 round) 1911.

Given the simple, functional nature of this gun I didn't try for glamour shots. Wrong time of the year for that, anyway. No sun.

Nope, this is a no-frills, "GI" type gun that just happens to hold 14 rounds.

IMG_1410Small.jpg

IMG_1412Small.jpg

As you can see, the finish is nothing to write home about. Thin Parkerization, but enough to keep it from rusting.

The back view shows everything is nice and aligned, tight fit, nice feel:

IMG_1401Small.jpg

Bushing is similar: Amazingly tight, no barrel play at all. Just look at that muzzle crown!:

IMG_1409Small.jpg

And the crisp machining on the lugs and recesses in the frame!

IMG_1396Small.jpg

IMG_1390Small.jpg

The gun feels amazingly good in my hand. I have long fingers (I like Bisleys on my revolvers) and a regular single-stack 1911 seems too skinny to me. I wanted a hi-cap .45 for my nightstand gun, and was completely non-plussed by the current crop of poly guns out there. This double stack 1911 may be the grip size I've been looking for. OTOH, my shooting buddy handled it the other day and was very surprised it was a double stack. He said it felt a little different, but not as thick as he was thinking it would be.

I have not shot it yet, so can't comment on accuracy or reliability.

Other contenders were Springfield and Para Ordnance, but given the price/benefit differences, as well as availability, the RIA won that race.

Retail price on the RIA was $465, NIB with one mag. That's about $100 less than the Springfield (if you could find one), and $400 less than a Para I was looking at, which felt cheaper than the Rock. The worst was a decked-out $1100 Para that just felt like crap, right down to the crummy plastic trigger shoe.

I realize the RIA has a bunch of MIM in it, but then, so does every other commercial grade 1911 these days, some more than others. What I really like about this gun is that it didn't cost an arm and a leg. As long as it proves itself a reliable weapon I'll be happy.

BTW, I already found aftermarket mags for it, made by the same company that makes the OEM one, for $23/ea plus reasonable shipping. Considering some of the guns I've run into recently have mags that cost $40 or $50 each, this was nice.

-- Sam

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
In case anyone's interested:

The frame is investment cast in-house by Armscor in the Philippines. The slide is "extruded"; I'm still reading up on exactly what that means in the production process. MIM parts and Filipino labor are what keep the costs down.

Customer Support is provided out of Arizona and is said to be some of the best in the industry. I have not had to avail myself of their services, so can't say first hand.

Even the hi-cap is a 1911 to the core. Except for lower frame parts, everything is standard. Those lower end parts (trigger, mag release, etc) are interchangeable with Para parts. Due to the design of the grip it takes a standard size MSH. Grips from the Para P-14 will fit with minor modification.

-- Sam

welder

Buckeye
Good looking gun there Sam. I haven't seen one in person yet so thanks for the pics. Here's hoping she shoots as good as she looks. Prices seemed very reasonable too, especially the mag issue.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I've always liked the RIA offerings .... they're good, solid, guns ... good luck with it !

REV

pisgah

Buckeye
I've had nothing but good experiences with RIA guns. This one looks neat. I remember firing one of the early Para Ordnance hi-cap pistols, and was startled by how much they felt like very, very slightly thicker standard-framed guns. Very comfortable and controllable.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I had a Springfield Armory version that jammed a lot! I sold it for more than I paid, I have a Charles Daly 'Field Grade' that is made in the same factory and its a good reliable accurate gun. I do still have a couple of double stack 1911/2011s including an STI Grandmaster in 38 Super and a Para Ordnance LDA in .40 S&W. I shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge with them.

bub

Single-Sixer
If I ever get the $$$, I want a decent, shooter-grade 1911 that is worth upgrading as I have time and money. The choice right now is between one of the Rock Island GI-type 1911s and the Springfield stainless MilSpec GI. If Rock Island came out with a stainless GI 1911, the choice would be made for sure. All I ever hear about the RIA 1911s is outstanding, including the customer service (if it's ever needed). Good choice and I hope it serves you well for a long time.

Bub

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
Nice pics Sam, and thanks. The simple, yet eye pleasing design, is among other things, the reason that the 1911 continues to sell so well, regardless of who manufactures the darn thing. Whether Ruger decides to make a 1911 or not remains to be seen. From purely a sales stand point, I would view Ruger's decision to build a 1911 as a very low risk venture. And I say this despite the existing competitors. As long as Americans can buy guns there will always remain a market for the 1911. Why not be a part of it?

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
Sam. I think you're gonna be right happy with that pistol.
A couple of years ago wanting a 1911 that didn't cost an arm or leg I bought this RIA "Tactical" model since a regular 1911 chaws the web of my hand pretty good. As you can see, other than the beaver tail safety it's a bit plain but it works and works well and it live lives quite happily with my Ruger pistols.
Maybe some fancier grips one of these days. :)

CopyofPicture516-1.jpg

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
Reasonable pricing and dependability was what brought me to Ruger. When I can accumulate some "gun money" down the road, I think that I will look into one of these.

Grapony, Btrumanj,

If you don't mind my asking for a ball park figure, what does one like your RIA's sell for?

Thanks.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
ncvikingfan":1ydaxzry said:
Reasonable pricing and dependability was what brought me to Ruger. When I can accumulate some "gun money" down the road, I think that I will look into one of these.

Grapony, Btrumanj,

If you don't mind my asking for a ball park figure, what does one like your RIA's sell for?

Thanks.
I'm not Grapony or Btrumanj, but I can take a stab at this:

I paid $465 for the double stack at my local gun shop.

There's a guy on GunBroker who regularly has them (at least a dozen on there today), and he sells the single stack GI version for $365 shipped. The single stack "Tactical" (beavertail grip safety and Novak-type sights) is $430 shipped. They don't have a hi-cap "Tactical" model, at least yet. The parent company, Armscor, makes all sorts of different models, so who knows what'll hit these shores, or when.

If you want to check it out go to GB and search for "Rock Island".

-- Sam

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
ncvikingfan. the RIA pistols seem to be priced higher in my area right outside of Louisville than what I see quoted on most gun forums. When I bought mine, if I remember correctly, the plain GI single stack models were around $400 and the Tactical models a bit over $ 450 + Ky's 6% sales tax. I've been told some shops in Ky have them much cheaper even now but I aint driving 60 or more miles to save $ 20 or $ 30. Also as for me personally, I will not buy a gun I can't pick up, inspect and fondle before it goes home with me, even if I have to pay more. YMMV :)

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
Could anyone show side by side comparison pictures of one of the double stack models vs. a 7, 8 round as far as grip width? Just wondering how much difference there was. I have not seen any of these Rock Island Armory models in the gun shops within driving distance.

I don't like to go to gun shows withought money to buy, but I may visit one before long anyway.

Thanks for your time.

Spikess

Bearcat
BADBUBBA":1tus1ic6 said:
DSCN0102.jpg

Just bought this Springfield myself

Thompsons are nothing but evil. Better let me hold on to it for ya so you don't get into any trouble. :wink: