Rock Chucker Advice

Help Support Ruger Forum:

slowrider

Single-Sixer
I'm looking at several single stage presses to get started reloading. I'll be doing pistol and most likely buy used. I see Rock Chucker RC II and RC IV models. The current model is just called the Rock Chucker Supreme. Any differences worth worrying about for my purposes? The only disadvantage I've really heard to the RC is maybe a longer throw on pistol because it can handle the longer rifle cartridges as well.

I'm also looking at the Hornady Lock N Load Classic.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Most highly recommend the RCBS whatever.

Add a $20 LEE Reloader press and mount it 8" to the left of your (new) RCBS, and mount a Lyman flare/powder-through die on top; mount a powder measure (Hornady / RCBS / Redding) on top the Lyman die.

You'll thank me when you figure out why.......

contender

Ruger Guru
Any Rockchucker is an excellent press. You won't wear one out ever,,, in your lifetime. I have a couple of old ones,, that are still cranking out excellent ammo even after the tens of thousands of rounds they have made. Pistol, rifle it doesn't matter. The ram stroke will not be an issue.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

The Rock Chucker Supreme can be switched from right to left handed, which might be an advantage to some (I'm left handed, but do many things right handed so I can't say.)

Other changes seem minimal w/ respect to operations as far as I can see.

Except for one: RCBS went to China for some of their recent products, including, I believe, the newer RC presses. Much as I like RCBS, that alone opens the market to other brands for me...

Rick C

J Miller

Blackhawk
slowrider,

Yes, you can wear out a Rock Chucker press, I've done it.
Had to send it back to the factory for an overhaul.

Here's what I was going to comment on. The primer decapping system on the RC dumps the fired primers down a slot in the ram and they "should" end up in the tray. The problem is the residue that accumulates around the base of the ram and the press body.
It is VERY abrasive. If you add oil you create a very good lapping compound. Not knowing or realizing this I kept my press well oiled and cleaned the mess off occasionally. After about 15 years of continual use the ram would wobble side to side.
This caused an out of alignment condition and crooked seated bullets was the result.
RCBS rebuilt it grudgingly. And since it's been back it's never been out of the box.
I switched to an older Bonanza Co-Ax press that has a fired primer drop tube that keeps the crud away from the rams.

So when you get your new or new to you RCBS press, pick up a cheep Lee to decap your cases in. Or, clean the residue off like a fanatic.

Joe

slowrider

Single-Sixer
Thanks to all for the advice and comments. It just reinforces my belief that I can't go wrong with the Rock Crusher.

My solution to the depriming situation was to buy another of those $20 LEE Reloader presses and mount a "universal decapping die" in it. I deprime before tumble-cleaning the cases.

;)

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
Besides being able to switch the handle from right to left handed as Rick C. said, my Rock Chucker Supreme is almost 3/4" taller than my old Rock Chucker, which allows for more clearance for loading really tall cases. I bought the Rock Chucker Supreme 4 or 5 years ago right after I got my .45-110 Sharps with its 2 7/8" tall cases. There wasn't anything at all wrong with the plain old Rock Chucker I'd been using for 30 years. I just wanted more clearance for loading those tall black-powder cases.
However, the flip side of more clearance is a longer stroke every time you raise or lower the ram. It's no big deal - it just took some getting used to. But a little 9mm Luger case still looks kinda funny sitting in that great big Rock Chucker Supreme press. :D

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
I got a Rockchucker in the early 1970's and it is still great. I also have a RCBS Jr press(From the 1960's) and it has less leverage than the RC press BUT it has less stroke and more feel(to me) so I use it to seat bullets in most all my cartridges and even use it to size many of the pistol rounds.
Get the RC but also get a used smaller RCBS press. You will be happy. "I" prefer the RCBS to a lee as the RCBS will warr it forever at no cost even if you get it used. and lee will not.
My 2 Cents

AKGrouch

Bearcat
And then there is also the forerunner of the RockChucker....the A2. Full length size a .375 H&H down to a phonograph needle in one pull....lol. I love mine for sure. Don't see em anymore....wonder what it's worth now in tip top shape

marlin1881

Single-Sixer
I don't use oil anymore for my presses, but have gone entirely to Hornady One-shot Dry Lube, which you spray on and it dries within 30 seconds. Residue doesn't stick to it like it does to oil/grease. I use this dry-lube on all my presses, and it's the only thing I use on my semi-auto handguns. No oil or grease at all, and the guns work slick as can be. When I get done shooting a bullseye match (180 rounds) with my 1911, I disassemble and wipe it down with a paper towl, and then spray with the Hornady one-shot Gun Cleaner. It just has a bit more solvent then the Dry Lube. Same slick stuff in both products.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
marlin1881":zd7l8c5j said:
I don't use oil anymore for my presses, but have gone entirely to Hornady One-shot Dry Lube, which you spray on and it dries within 30 seconds. Residue doesn't stick to it like it does to oil/grease. I use this dry-lube on all my presses, and it's the only thing I use on my semi-auto handguns. No oil or grease at all, and the guns work slick as can be. When I get done shooting a bullseye match (180 rounds) with my 1911, I disassemble and wipe it down with a paper towl, and then spray with the Hornady one-shot Gun Cleaner. It just has a bit more solvent then the Dry Lube. Same slick stuff in both products.
Similarly, I find Gunzilla CLP, which also dries, works really well as a lube for my press.

-- Sam

marlin1881

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam":3ur8xx9u said:
marlin1881":3ur8xx9u said:
I don't use oil anymore for my presses, but have gone entirely to Hornady One-shot Dry Lube, ...
Similarly, I find Gunzilla CLP, which also dries, works really well as a lube for my press.

-- Sam

A shooting buddy of mine uses Gunzilla, and really likes it. You know, there are too many good dry-lubes out there to be using your typical oil and grease any more.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Buy the RCBS, even if you wear it out (extremely unlikely), RCBS will fix it or replace it for free, even if you aren't the original owner.

I use a silicone spray from Honda, its the only lubricant safe from -40 - 600F, on any surface, and flame proof.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
If I were buying a single stage press today it would be the Lee Classic Cast without question. That said I am still using my RCBS Reloder Special I bought 33 years ago.

slowrider

Single-Sixer
Again, thanks for all the good advice. I bought a lightly used Rock Chucker deluxe starter set off of Gunbroker for a really nice price. I was surprised it didn't bid up a little more. I plan on starting with 38 spc and then some 32 H&R mag. Can't wait to get started.

Rainman

Blackhawk
I wanted to follow up on what JMiller recommended. I use an old RC that was made when "New York was a flag stop". It's as good today as it was then but I never de-cap with it. Primer residue combined with lubricant is very abrasive. I have a little RCBS Reloader Special set up with a universal de-cap die that never gets changed out. I de-cap everything with that press before cleaning and tumbling.

RCBS has some of the top customer service in any industry. With the exception of a few Lee Factory Crimp dies, everything on my bench is RCBS green.

Dan