Rock and Roll Deerfield

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I just picked-up a like new Deerfield Carbine and I just got to say that it is one KOOL RIFLE. I tried it out with Winchester and Federal standard 240gr loads and no problems. It was a little fussy with my handloads, I think because of the slow powder I used.

The reference to Rock and Roll is what I think is going on after I pull the trigger. Usually my guns just go bang. It is going to take a little getting used to for me to feel comfortable with that auto-loading stuff going on after the bang. :D

...Jimbo

mattsbox99

Hunter
I love mine, you can't beat that bang and clang of an all steel autoloader! My Garand, M1A1, Mini 14, and Deerfield look pretty good lined up.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I noticed the Deerfield and the Mini-14/Mini-30 have the same type of action, rotating /locking bolt, fixed piston/sliding cylinder and push-rods. It is nice to know that I got such a dependable mechanism with the gun.

Is there anything I should know to look out for besides keeping it clean and lightly oiled? I do know not to use lead bullets because they might plug-up the gas port.

...Jimbo

Snake45

Hawkeye
Jimbo357mag":1uszokqo said:
It is going to take a little getting used to for me to feel comfortable with that auto-loading stuff going on after the bang. :D

...Jimbo
You ought to shoot my Stoeger Luger if you want to see some REAL monkey-motion! :lol:

pete44ru

Hunter
[Is there anything I should know to look out for besides keeping it clean and lightly oiled?]

Yep: NEVER get the notion to do away with the upper handguard ('cause it's plastic) and shoot it like that - at the risk of forever after being known as "Three Finger Jimbo". :mrgreen:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
pete44ru":391mh0bp said:
[Is there anything I should know to look out for besides keeping it clean and lightly oiled?]

Yep: NEVER get the notion to do away with the upper handguard ('cause it's plastic) and shoot it like that - at the risk of forever after being known as "Three Finger Jimbo". :mrgreen:

I hear ya. :shock: :D

...Jimbo

Limitby9

Bearcat
My Deerfield is one of the first 2000 made. If you have problems with the mag release sticking, Ruger has re-designed the pieces to work a lot better. I ordered a whole new set of mag release parts from Midway and mine works perfect now. The Williams Peep Sight works great on the Deerfield as well. My Deerfield loves Magtech 240 gr HPs.

I also have an M1A SOCOM 16 and Mini-14. Love em all..

airedaleman

Bearcat
If you want to experience a whole lotta shakin' goin' on, find a Model 8 or Model 81 Remington. The entire cycle of that long recoil action (especially with the mild-kicking .25 Remington) is very apparent. Great rifles...

mattsbox99

Hunter
Its a heck of a lot drier out here than south florida, and mine had slight speckling of rust one day when I was cleaning it. It cleaned up with light steel wool, but pay close attention to the interior gas parts so they don't rust.