ROAs and R&D Conversions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
Finally took my Ruger Old Armys to the range with the R&D Conversion cylinders fitted.

First things first. As a drop in part, they are almost drop ins. I got two, stainless, one for each revolver and had one that was tight in one gun and the other was fine. Swapped them around and both were good. The one was just the tiniest bit tight but the other was still good. The one cylinder is a gnats hair longer than the smoother running one and is tighter to the forcing cone by .002.

These things loaded with black or Pyrodex and over powder wad and round ball and lube over the ball are crazy accurate so I was hoping for good accuracy using the conversions.

Nope.

Not disappointed at all. :D Off hand, one handed, they put every shot I fired into an 8 inch Shoot and See target at 30 feet. Even my 12 year old son could hit with them. He's turning into a .45C nut like his dad.

Yes, they are cowboy load only but 850 fps with a 250 grain lead RNFP is more than enough horsepower.

All in all, I'd say a very good deal and a very good day. Two new revolvers basically for $500.

Well be VAER GLAD you got the R&Ds rather than the other brand. Can't remember
A Pard at a CAS shoot this weekend had new brand Xs. First time he tried to shoot them and they didn't do the bang thing at all.
I have seen several CAS shooters with the R&Ds and they go bang every time.
Jim

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
I guess it would be Kirst. I believe there is one other but can't recall who at the moment.

I ordered mine from Buffalo Arms. Good people to deal with.

Nite Ryder

Bearcat
I bought two stainless steel cylinders and one blued one for my Old Armies. I've just shot the stainless steel ones so far and wasn't disapointed. I've loaded some blackpower rounds, using round balls for bullets to use at our locas Blackpowder CAS shoot in October. These things are just easier and faster to load than messin' with BP, balls, and caps. Altho I haven't had mary misfires using those components, either. I like the convenience of just loading cartridges into these things. I don't care about velocity for cowboy shootin'.

Coop

Blackhawk
I used to shoot a pair of SS 5-1/2" barrel ROA's for many years with R&D Cylinders in Frontier Cartridge at CAS matches. They are very reliable, and were very accurate. I still have and shoot one with my .44 Caliber 1858 New Model Army Remington Pietta reproduction revolver.

Never had a problem with the ROA/R&D's until I loaned one of them to a NRA WOT gathering in western PA. The ladies were told to dry fire the ROA/R&D before shooting real loads. DO NOT DRY FIRE R&D Conversion Cylinders. It will peen the heck out of the firing pins, and render the R&D Cylinder inoperative. Fortunately, it was only a $36.00 fix for six new firing pins.

Coop

Single-Sixer
Well I'll stand up (actually sitting) for the Kirst Konvertor in my Old Army. It's gone bang every time and has been a pleasure to shoot. I shoot my Old Army a lot more now that I can shoot at t he indoor range with it.