ROA with Brass Grip Frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wapiti22

Blackhawk
Picked up an unfired ROA, ser # 140-09xxx, with a brass grip frame. Frame looks factory installed but previous owner wasn't sure. See # puts it at a 1972 production well after brass grips were introduced. I'm going to call Ruger tomorrow to see what they can tell me.

Why thoughts as too what the market value of this might be?

contender

Ruger Guru
According to Dougan's book & list,, no factory fitted & shipped brass framed OA's have the serial number 140-09xxx. The highest, with a "0" as the first number is 140-07797. then there are 3 after that, with 140-12229, 140-13831, and 140-24870.

I'd say "not likely" that it was shipped with it.

As for value, a normal grip framed one in like new condition, w/o a box, in the $500-$550 range. Then take away the blued g/f, and figure around $400-$450. Add the brass g/f and it's value of around $300, and you have a gun in the $700-$750 range. A good condition box in the $75-$100 ballpark.

wapiti22

Blackhawk
Thanks. Not what I was hoping to here. I don't have a box, just the revolver. Whoever fit the grip did a fine job!

lots of emphasis on the fact ( value) of it being a "factory" release...I have always wondered how many went back, "after the fact" to have the customer get a brass frame put on their gun??? as works orders are NOT a matter of record back then...as well as how many frames where sold 'after the fact" and put on by the customers or in a shop...I know back when we had our first shop we had put on dozens of these frames on various Rugers.....we got them wholesale for below the $7.50 retail price for a boxed frame, grips and trigger.........wish I had them ALL now 8) :roll:

this is also how we learned to NEVER mix up polishing any brass frame , or even aluminum frames on the SAME polishing ( buffing) wheels used for the bluing operation....BIG TIME contamination, and would get spots, specks, freckling; on the blued parts surfaces...... :shock:

Ruger also found this out, as well as the problems of craters and casting fissures in the,brass parts, polish it out to "fit" and voila, you get a casting crater ( hole) where you least expect or wanted it.......they scrapped MANY, MANY "bad frames".......... :wink:

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Hondo44 said:
Call Ruger or get the letter just to be sure! New things are learned every day.

Jim is spot on about new finds and information coming to light by those who care to share both.
I have a Brass Frame ROA #140-11458 that letters but is not in Johns book.

Terry

wapiti22

Blackhawk
Got my letter from Ruger today. Serial # 140-09000 shipped in June, 1973 as a model BP-7B which I understand to mean it is a factory brass frame.

chet15

Hawkeye
There are bunches of BP7B that are missing from John's book after that 140-07xxx range. I think he went to a certain date and left the rest off of there except for the few noted.
Chet15