ROA.......Finally found one.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dantforth

Blackhawk
I have been looking for one for years now. They seldom come for sale and, when they do, they are more money than I am willing to invest. So, I visit a friend to pick up three Ruger factory boxes I purchased. Before I leave he tells me he has this for sale. I told him to give me his lowest price. The next day he e-mails to say he has to have $500.00 in Canadian funds. Now, in US funds for comparison, that is $380.00. I told him I would take it. Serial number is 145-66382. It comes with the original nipple wrench, a complete set of extra nipples, a box of bullets and a can of black powder. He said he might have the original box but will have to look.
My question is this....is there one dedicated mould for bullets for this? Is there a thread here somewhere regarding projectiles, loading etc.?
Revolver seems to be in 90% plus condition with a few minor rubs in the finish. Being stainless, are these minor blemishes easy to polish out?

Kanook

Buckeye
ROA (Ruger Old Army) uses the .457 ball mould from Lee. It will say on the box "Ruger Old Army". I'm not sure if Lee ships to Canada or if it's ITAR

They are a bunch of fun and very addictive. They are very strong and accurate. I use mine for deer.

Kanook

Buckeye
Dantforth said:
Thanks Kanook. Are you a transplanted Canuck? I can hardly wait to get it home. I can buy Lee here and I do believe they will ship here as well. David
It's a long story, but yes. We sold our land and my mother passed a week later from ALS 2 years ago. Haven't been back since.

I will return to visit family and friends.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Dave, that is what I wanted. I had read that someplace but my old memory misplaced it. Now, for those who have experience, which shoots better? I intend to use triple F Swiss black powder. I will mostly be shooting for fun at targets as I cannot use it for hunting here. David

stanprophet

Bearcat
I was just given my Grandfathers ROA stainless. I took it out this weekend and used 30 grains of Pyrodex and a Hornady.457 round ball on top of the powder. Crisco for grease and Remington NO 11 caps. At 25 yards shot a 2 inch group. Very accurate.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Welcome Stan. I see you are new. This forum is a very good source for any info required on a Ruger firearm.
I played around for years with my Snider Enfield military rifle and conical bullets. When I switched to round ball it shot better than I could, so I know how well round balls will shoot. I intend to buy one of Lee's moulds which are designed with the ROA in mind. One is a 457" round ball and the other a conical.

stanprophet

Bearcat
Thank you for the welcome.

I have been casting for a long time. Have had to take a break from it for a while, but will have to start up again.

The ROA got me on a black powder binge. That and the 12 unbuilt CVA kits sitting in the garage.

I was really Impressed with the round ball accuracy. I have heard great things about the Lee mold for the ROA.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Kanook said:
ROA (Ruger Old Army) uses the .457 ball mould from Lee. It will say on the box "Ruger Old Army". I'm not sure if Lee ships to Canada or if it's ITAR

They are a bunch of fun and very addictive. They are very strong and accurate. I use mine for deer.

Thanks Kanook, was wondering what a ROM was.

Bob Wright

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Well, I knew it was a waste of everyones time as these are not at all uncommon. But, I had been asked to post a photo. Now all I need is a set of action screws to replace those messed by a prior owner and instructions on how to buff out a few minor scuffs. I also went back to my original posting and changed the ROM to ROA.

Kanook

Buckeye
Dantforth said:
Well, I knew it was a waste of everyones time as these are not at all uncommon. But, I had been asked to post a photo. Now all I need is a set of action screws to replace those messed by a prior owner and instructions on how to buff out a few minor scuffs. I also went back to my original posting and changed the ROM to ROA.
It is never a waste of time. I have yet been to the range where someone will say "I didn't know Ruger made a black powder pistol", or " I've never seen one in person".

I've heard Green Scotchbright pads will aid in scratch removal. Pleases double check on that.

Here's mine in a "custom ankle holster"

G2

Hunter
You did well!!!

When it comes to which powder, I really don't think your going to notice a difference in the OA, Me I shoot what ever I can get my hands on... :roll:

I must ask how are the action screws messed up? PM sent

Latest posts