ROA Case Hardening Experiment

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Riot Earp

Bearcat
I had Turnbull case harden my rammer, but it didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. There are some blues, but overall there is too much white. The other side is mostly white. I may dip the rammer in vinegar and take it to all white, to match the hammer. I suspect an alloy in the steel interfered with the process.

ROA004.jpg

bluestraw

Bearcat
Looks really nice to me!! :D I think I might have also done the part that the rammer attaches to and possibly the hammer. May I ask how they charge? Is it per piece or weight.

Riot Earp

Bearcat
I wanted to do the entire loading lever, but it is integral with the cylinder pin (not sure if they can be separated) and I don't think Turnbull will case harden a cylinder pin (there is a risk that it will bend slightly during the process, I have been told). I thought about doing the hammer also but wanted to try the rammer as an experiment first. My Uberti Remington's hammer "took" their case hardening beautifully, but the Ruger rammer didn't. Turnbull charged me $50. Their minimum is usually $100, but Peter gave me a break on such a small part. Multiple small parts would probably cost closer to $100.