Rimfire & Centerfire ammo....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
If this is in the wrong place, please move...

I have both a rimfire .22 LR revolver & a P95 (centerfire, of course :)).... My issue is, I keep both loaded, locked in my safe. Before I hit the range, I empty both pistols & set the rounds in the safe to reload after I get home & clean the guns & put them up. The .22LR rounds are CCI mini-mags and the 9mm rounds are Remington Gold Sabre HP's.

Last time I went to the range I took the .22 loaded (I was in a hurry to meet a friend) and when I went to shoot, the first 3 rounds didn't fire. They couldnt be much more than 1-2 years old. I just threw out the whole cylinders' worth(9 rounds). I reloaded with ammo from the same case & it fired fine but it got me worried about the Gold Sabres. I live in Iowa, pretty humid in the summer but I have air conditioning in the house and the humidity level is very low in the house. The only thing I can think of is the .22 rounds got some CLP in them? Is that possible? I am pretty generous with the stuff, and I may not have mopped out the cylinders last time properly.

Any way, my question in this: Can an overly lubed pistol cause ammo malfunctions? I'm mainly concerned about the P95 centerfire ammo. Any thoughts would be appreciated. And again, if this belongs over in the rimfire section, sorry, I won't be offended if moved :)

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
Ammo should be stored in a good dry ventilated area. I would imagine that if you are storing your well lubed (maybe excessively?) weapon with ammo in the cylinders it could be leaching or absorbing some of the CLP in the casing. The house might be dry or humidity controlled, but do you have a golden rod in the safe as well?

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
PAVTXER":3997olbe said:
Ammo should be stored in a good dry ventilated area. I would imagine that if you are storing your well lubed (maybe excessively?) weapon with ammo in the cylinders it could be leaching or absorbing some of the CLP in the casing. The house might be dry or humidity controlled, but do you have a golden rod in the safe as well?

I don't have a golden rod? What is that?

A

Anonymous

Like you I have the 22's in my 22/45 etc. guns and the P-95 ready for use at all times.

I have never, never had any problems with the center fire 9mm cartridges no matter what the age. In fact a friend gave me a canvas bag full of old 9mm stuff that was starting to tarnish, turning green. I used them at the range with no problems at all. I also shoot lots of Blazer alum cases with no problem with age... Specal Storage?! Na.. not really.. Just kept in a plastic amo box on the top shelf of my closet..

As far as the 22 rim fires... well that's a different story... Seems to me old 22's don't want to fire as well as fresh stuff... Especially certain brands like Fed Lightning and bulk boxes. CCI Mini-Mags have not been a problem. Remington's bulk boxes have also come up short from time to time.

I believe that mass produced 22's regardless of the brand are quality issues and sold mainly for target rounds with little or no concern for accurate primer mixes while making them... and/or are more prone to loose fitting projectiles allowing some moisture/oil leaching.

My thoughts and recommendations are... Clean your guns and clips well and Don't use excessive oil. Wipe then near dry as you can.. Just my opnion as I'm no expert..

Snake45

Hawkeye
Doug45601":28xmza1f said:
Seems to me old 22's don't want to fire as well as fresh stuff...
I still have a couple bricks of Remington Golden Bullets from the mid-'70s. They still fire just fine, and are more accurate and consistent than the stuff being made today.

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
sicboy13":2lu92x5i said:
PAVTXER":2lu92x5i said:

I don't have a golden rod? What is that?

A Goldenron is a dehumidifier for your gun safe (or other small enclosed space). It would help with moisture control if that is an issue.... but I believe you should go on a diet with the CLP and that might cure the issue.

Here is info on GoldenRod http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com/