Rifle Stock on a Ruger Super BlackHawk Has it been done?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
Has anyone done this or is it possible?

I have seen the old Blackpowder Revolvers done this way.

Single-Sixer
It kind of makes a modern gun illegal. Turns it into a short barreled rifle unless your barrel length is 16" or 16.5", can't remember which the legal limit is.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yep, illegal unless you have a manufacturers liscense that covers things like that. THe barrel of rifles has to be at least 16".

piratedude

Single-Sixer
contender":er48q5ew said:
Yep, illegal unless you have a manufacturers liscense that covers things like that. THe barrel of rifles has to be at least 16".
I take it you have researched this....

That's sarcasm by the way, and I have a license.

You don't need a license to make an SBR and you don't need to be a special "manufacturer," and you don't need to be an FFL or SOT. But you do need to pay the tax stamp in advance and get it approved by the ATF. Tax stamp approved and in hand... and you can start adding a stock.

Its not that hard to get the tax stamp approved. You need to form a trust and place the gun into it, then apply for the permit through the trust. You have to submit $200 dollars for payment.

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
piratedude":r3xhi2yb said:
contender":r3xhi2yb said:
I take it you have researched this....

That's sarcasm by the way, and I have a license.

You don't need a license to make an SBR and you don't need to be a special "manufacturer," and you don't need to be an FFL or SOT. But you do need to pay the tax stamp in advance and get it approved by the ATF. Tax stamp approved and in hand... and you can start adding a stock.

Its not that hard to get the tax stamp approved. You need to form a trust and place the gun into it, then apply for the permit through the trust. You have to submit $200 dollars for payment.

Thank You but how is it done ? I am trying to do a bit of research before going the full route.

piratedude

Single-Sixer
JesterGrin_1":11ric6rt said:
Thank You but how is it done ? I am trying to do a bit of research before going the full route.

You should consult a lawyer about creating a trust in your state if you want to do that. While some people tell you to go it alone, the $200 bucks you will pay will be worth it.

Or you can get an ATF Form 4 (check the ATF website), then fill it out and go down to your local sheriff. The sheriff or police chief will need to sign off on your application. Then they fingerprint you. Mail the fingerprints, the LEO signature and the ATF Form 4 off to the ATF and wait for approval.

You don't need LEO approval if you go with a trust or corporation or LLC.

Oh I forgot to add, SBR's are not legal in all states. Check your state law before you begin the project.

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
I understand the trust thing as that is the rout I would take. But what I meant was has anyone mounted a stock to a Ruger? I need to research that some.

piratedude":2d1vfczx said:
JesterGrin_1":2d1vfczx said:

You should consult a lawyer about creating a trust in your state if you want to do that. While some people tell you to go it alone, the $200 bucks you will pay will be worth it.

Or you can get an ATF Form 4 (check the ATF website), then fill it out and go down to your local sheriff. The sheriff or police chief will need to sign off on your application. Then they fingerprint you. Mail the fingerprints, the LEO signature and the ATF Form 4 off to the ATF and wait for approval.

You don't need LEO approval if you go with a trust or corporation or LLC.

Oh I forgot to add, SBR's are not legal in all states. Check your state law before you begin the project.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
You can buy black powder revolvers with shoulder stocks.
http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/da ... ail?no=424
1860-army-with-stock.jpg

...And a shoulder stock Buntline was used in Clint Eastwood's
"For a Few Dollars More"

Buntline01.jpg

Buntline02.jpg

sholderstock.jpg

...Jimbo

captainkirk

Blackhawk
The other obvious problem not addressed, should you go this route, is the B/C blast. From full-house 44s you will be picking bits of lead out of your forearm, that is, out of the burns...

While this was a novelty at some time in the past, I don't think the headaches (legal and practical) would be worthwhile.

Your mileage and or inclination to do something out of the ordinary may indeed differ.

captainkirk

BlkHawk73

Hunter
captainkirk":3gewpm30 said:
The other obvious problem not addressed, should you go this route, is the B/C blast. From full-house 44s you will be picking bits of lead out of your forearm, that is, out of the burns...

While this was a novelty at some time in the past, I don't think the headaches (legal and practical) would be worthwhile.

Your mileage and or inclination to do something out of the ordinary may indeed differ.

captainkirk

Not if you hold it correctly. No fore end on this type for a reason - it doesn't give a place to put your leading hand. That hand instead cradles the strong hand and supports it. I have one of these:

BERJEH1801.gif

Haven't gotten powder burned yet. Just shoot smart.