Rifle/handgun common calibers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I don't know how good the 30 Carbine is on 4 legged Critters. But it has killed the crap out of 2 legged ones. :) It is a fun round to shoot in both guns. I found it a little finicky to reload for the Blackhawk but I still have a couple of GI Cans full of surplus.
I also have quite a few pistol caliber combinations.

1662095616981.png

Last edited:

Snake Pleskin

Banned
The only combos I have are Scorpion & Ruger PC with any number of 9mm's and .38/.357 Ruger SA's with Rossi 92 carbines and Henry 22's and a host of other .22lr rifles, Ruger, Savage, Mossberg, CZ, TC, with Ruger SA .22's and many other auto's in .22lr. Works for me

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I have that aspect covered. A pair of Win 94 Trappers in 357 and 44 mag with numerous revolver companions. Marlin Camp 9 shares magazines with a S&W 915 as does the Ruger PC9 with a 'flock' of 89/95 variants. Don't forget the 22's.

I have always liked or enjoyed the combination of handgun and rifle shooting the same ammo.. and then as I gradually got deeper into the gun enthusiasts culture I discovered the same could be done in semi-auto.... First time I delved into this was with the Ruger p95 and their 9mm carbine. Not just the same ammo but the same magazines!

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I have always liked or enjoyed the combination of handgun and rifle shooting the same ammo.. and then as I gradually got deeper into the gun enthusiasts culture I discovered the same could be done in semi-auto.... First time I delved into this was with the Ruger p95 and their 9mm carbine. Not just the same ammo but the same magazines!
Yes, my Ruger PC 9mm takes Glock mags, which I share with m G 19's!

G2

Hunter
I have actually put this combo together for a deer hunt that is in a thick THICK pine forest. I know there are a few big bucks that go in and stay there till the boom-booms settle down,, SMART.
It will be a lot of sitting very still, very slow. I have seen the results.
The plan is use the Super Blackhawk 480 Ruger for the shot, but want the No. 1 475L that will use the same 480R ammo, just because.
52329428953_731dc690aa_c.jpg

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
Combo sets, I have SW 29 and 4 Ruger Vaqueros (convertable 44-40 and 44 magnum) with a marlin 1894 44 magnum and a uberti 1866 in 44-40 and also a winchester 92 takedown in 44-40.

I think the matched caliber set to be very realistic for those that are out in nature now, and possibly a necessity back before smokeless powder was prevalent.
Unfortunately I let my 44m and 45c rifles get away from me in moments of insanity so only have handguns and rifles in 22LR now. It's a situation I wish to rectify someday even though I have no reason to do so. :unsure:

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I think the matched caliber set to be very realistic for those that are out in nature now, and possibly a necessity back before smokeless powder was prevalent.
Unfortunately I let my 44m and 45c rifles get away from me in moments of insanity so only have handguns and rifles in 22LR now. It's a situation I wish to rectify someday even though I have no reason to do so. :unsure:
We all had ones that got away that in hind sight we wish we had not lost.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
My Ruger PC 9mm only takes Ruger P series magazines.... old school.... Why they could not make the new ones take the P series magazines of which folks bought millions of is beyond me.... let alone a Sig adapter....
That is why I did the Glock thing. between my G 19's, My Keltec Sub 2000 and my Ruger PC, all magazine are interchangeable. Glock was smart, I have mags 20 yrs old that fit in new Glocks and vice versa!

6GUNSONLY

Hunter
Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I have a pistol-caliber carbine (Marlin 1894 in . 44 mag), but I tend to agree with Bob. If I'm going to carry BOTH rifle and sixgun, the rifle is going to have some reach and a scope. If I carry the . 44 mag carbine, as I will occasionally when hunting in thick stuff, I won't bother carrying a sixgun of the same chambering. I'll probably carry a . 22 LR or . 22 mag revolver. My . 44 carbine has a Williams receiver sight on it rather than a scope, and I don't find it adds appreciably to the range at which I'm comfortable with one of my . 44 sixguns. People imagine shooting at deer or other game in the woods at ranges greater than 50-60 yards with open sights, but in my experience (50 years worth) the factor at those longer ranges in the woods becomes being able to actually SEE your intended target well enough to positively identify it (especially if you're trying to be selective, not shoot button bucks during either sex seasons, etc..) and make a killing shot. This is where a low or variable power scope shines. I've found it's one thing to shoot a decent group at 75-100 yards in the open air at the range with an open or aperture sighted rifle or revolver, it's quite another thing to do that in shadowy woods with intervening brush and trees.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I have a pistol-caliber carbine (Marlin 1894 in . 44 mag), but I tend to agree with Bob. If I'm going to carry BOTH rifle and sixgun, the rifle is going to have some reach and a scope. If I carry the . 44 mag carbine, as I will occasionally when hunting in thick stuff, I won't bother carrying a sixgun of the same chambering. I'll probably carry a . 22 LR or . 22 mag revolver. My . 44 carbine has a Williams receiver sight on it rather than a scope, and I don't find it adds appreciably to the range at which I'm comfortable with one of my . 44 sixguns. People imagine shooting at deer or other game in the woods at ranges greater than 50-60 yards with open sights, but in my experience (50 years worth) the factor at those longer ranges in the woods becomes being able to actually SEE your intended target well enough to positively identify it (especially if you're trying to be selective, not shoot button bucks during either sex seasons, etc..) and make a killing shot. This is where a low or variable power scope shines. I've found it's one thing to shoot a decent group at 75-100 yards in the open air at the range with an open or aperture sighted rifle or revolver, it's quite another thing to do that in shadowy woods with intervening brush and trees.
I agree 100% I hunted in Pa woods, lots of trees, some areas with blow downs and undergrowth to boot. You could get a few long shots100-200 yds through clearings from logging and right of ways and off the point of a ridge etc, but generally you were looking at 75 yds or less. All my deer were 60 yds or less. I used a 2.5 Lyman and never needed anything more. identification is "key" to get a legal buck and for safety!! The lower power scope gives a solid aiming point but also a wide field of view so you can see if anything is walking into your firing zone too!

Last edited:

aciera

Bearcat
Ruger made the BH,RH,77,96 and semi auto carbine in 44
Working on doing the same set in 45 colt.

The A Team

Bearcat
I just got a Ruger PCC. I put in a mag adapter to run p365 mags in it. I think it’s a good idea. It is fun to shoot both the PCC and my xl from the same mags.

I have limited practical use for a long range rifle.

RC44Mag

Bearcat
I live in upstate NY, am in my 70's, and a few months ago I purchased my first ever firearm - a Ruger Takedown 10/22.
I applied for my pistol permit a few months ago, and it could take up to 16 months in my county in New York State before I get it.
I was going to buy an AR, but long story short, I decided on the 10/22 to get started due to the cost of the AR and ammo, and where I could shoot the rifle.
I joined an indoor rifle club that is 5 minutes from my house and only allows rifles that shoot .22lr, and as for pistols, they allow other calibers but no Magnum bullets.
If I bought the AR, I would have no where to shoot it unless I did some travelling out of my county.
When I get my pistol permit (assuming I will get in a year or so) my choice of pistol will be a Ruger that shoots .22lr – same caliber as my rifle.
As for ammo, every time I go to Walmart I check and see what they have. Sometimes the locked shelves are empty, and when they do have stock by far the most ammo available is .22lr.
I'm limited (I think by Walmart, but it also might be a NY State limitation) to buy no more than 3 boxes of ammo at a time.
When I buy, I purchase 3 boxes that sell for $21.16 per box with a 325 count per box. The total price with tax for the 3 boxes is $68.56 which comes out to $0.07 a round. So far the price has not changed since I bought my first 3 boxes back in March of this year.
Better late than never. I wouldn’t give a dime to Walmart for ammo after they turned their backs on the 2nd Amendment some years back. Check out targetsportsusa for ammo. prices are good, sometimes with free shipping depending on how much you buy and deliver right to your front door even in NY state. They’re my often go to for ammo. Nice to see a box of 500-1,000 rnds of 5.56 or whatever sitting on the porch when I get home.

BearBiologist

Blackhawk
Twenty-twos, of course. Single-six and Ruger Target auto matched with a Henry lever, a Ruger 10-22 International for my wife (I always wanted one, so getting one for her was an excuse :LOL:), a 10-22 M-1 carbine for me. Currently, my wife's GOTO bag has a Glock 19 and a Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm. In the past, my wife had matched Vaqueros and a Marlin Cowboy in 357 and I had a Cimarron 1873 and matching Colt SAAs for CAS. I also have the "poor man's assault rifle (M-1 Carbine) and had a Ruger in 30 Carbine.

Latest posts