Rifle cleaning?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

emfshields

Bearcat
So I bought a new Mini 14 (582) last week. Took her out Saturday and threw 100 rounds of steel Tul through it. I know steel ammo is "dirty" (I have a ton of brass, just wanted this stuff out of my safe) so I'm thinking I want to clean it. Just wondering if it is imperative to disassemble the entire rifle, or just run a bore snake through it? I have no problem with the idea of striping it, just didn't know if it's neccessary. I bought a .223 brush and barrel swab, but the brush jammed up too much going through the front of the barrel. Didn't want to force it in, so I just cleaned the reciever area.

I'm new to the rifle game, so don't flame me too hard for the newb question! And thanks for looking/replying...

Depends on the Ammo and specifically the primers.... but I would break it down and see what the bolt and other parts look like... then again, you should be able to see how dirty it got with just a look... I'd clean it real good myself after 100 rounds of el-cheapo ammo.

emfshields

Bearcat
Went ahead and striped it all the way down tonight and cleaned it good. It was pretty nasty in there...I do the same with the pistol, so I figured I might as well do this. Was a pretty simple process, only difference I noted is that it's a little harder to remove the magazine. Think it's just my mind messing with me, all paranoid I did something wrong.

Can't wait to shot it again, don't really want to let one off in the backyard. :lol:

DGW1949

Hunter
emfshields said:
So I bought a new Mini 14 (582) last week. Took her out Saturday and threw 100 rounds of steel Tul through it. I know steel ammo is "dirty" (I have a ton of brass, just wanted this stuff out of my safe) so I'm thinking I want to clean it. Just wondering if it is imperative to disassemble the entire rifle, or just run a bore snake through it? I have no problem with the idea of striping it, just didn't know if it's neccessary. I bought a .223 brush and barrel swab, but the brush jammed up too much going through the front of the barrel. Didn't want to force it in, so I just cleaned the reciever area.

I'm new to the rifle game, so don't flame me too hard for the newb question! And thanks for looking/replying...

I'm about as anal about cleaning as the next guy. That said though, cleaning a piston-operated gas-gun presents considerations that one needs to be aware of.
In no certain order;
It's best to clean the bore with the rifle laying belly-up. Doing so prevents solvent and oil from getting into the piston area via the gas port in the barrel. On a similar note, do not lube the gas piston, it is designed to operate dry. Reason is; upon firing, solvents and lube will quickly turn to carbon, which accelerates wear.
Never-ever use any type of abrasive on the gas piston, or the hole it operates within....not even 0000 steel wool. Solvent and patches is the way to go here.
.22 Cal cleaning rods are a bit flimsy and are quite easy to "flex" when being pushed, so it's better to pull instead. With a Mini, that can be accomplished by first inserting the rod through the bore, then attach the brush (or patch), and pulling it back out through the muzzle. You'll need a cone-shaped bore guide (or a muzzle guide) for that. A bore snake can be used instead, but be careful to pull it strait so's it's not being drug across the edge of the barrel crown. I haven't used the Ottis plastic-coated cable-thingy, so I can't comment on them.
Also be aware that removing the barreled action from the stock on a regular basis is detrimental to the rifle's bedding, meaning that one wants the bedding to remain as tight as is practical for as long as is possible. In my experience, Mini's aren't bedded very tightly to start with, so ya sure don't want it getting worse. Removing the barreled action and re-installing it will often change the rifle's POI too, at least for the first 4 or 5 shots, or untill it "settles in" again.....so all in all, I tend to limit my "field stripping" of such rifles to every 2000 rounds.....which happens to coincide with when I like to change the op-rod spring.
A tooth brush followed by a couple of patches can be used to clean the bolt face. Afterwards, put one little/tiny drop of oil at the top of the extractor plunger, let it sit a while and then wipe off what didn't run into the plunger/spring hole.
Mini's are incredibly reliable rifles. It don't seem to matter much whether they are oiled, lubed, or run dry....they just seem to always work. That said though, it don't hurt anything to put a little bit of Rifle grease on the rear of the bolt lugs and inside the "camming" area of the op-rod. I also like to put a touch on the area of the hammer which the bolt rides over when the bolt is retracted whenever I have the trigger group removed. If you agree with that line of thinking, be sure to cycle the rifle by hand a few times afterwards, and then wipe off whatever amount that gets "squished" out so's it don't get thrown at your face when the gun is fired.

Take all that FWIW...and if all else fails....read the manual. :lol: .

Hope you find something here useful.

DGW