Riding The Slide To Chamber A Round

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I don't like leaving guns in my safe with a round chambered. I'm just not comfortable leaving a gun ready to fire if it's not in my direct control. And no, I'm not a new shooter. Been carrying for 30 years. I used to clear the chamber on my duty Glock 19 when I came home from work. I'd cycle the rounds frequently to help avoid bullet setback. Never had an issue.

But press checking is all the rage now, with forward serrations being common (and ugly) features on new pistols. So people are retracting the slide slightly and easing it forward. To avoid the possibility (or at least greatly reduce it) of bullet setback, is it an issue easing the slide forward to chamber the round, and then bumping the slide to make sure it's in battery? My carry guns alternate between an LC9S, a S&W Shield Plus, and a S&W Bodyguard .380.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I think press checking (or riding the slide when chambering a fresh round) is a mistake, and I really don't understand why people do it, especially since many pistols have a loaded chamber indicator of some sort (a small hole, a popup, etc.). Bad memory, or maybe they wanna be like John Wick :roll: . Just asking for trouble, imo. I've heard some people say they ride the slide to avoid damaging the gun, which is laughable when you realize that normal cycling is far more violent than anything you can do with your hand. :lol:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
The question wasn't if it is a mistake. I don't do press checks, either. But many do, and the forward slide serrations are there to do it. The question was would riding the slide to lessen the chances of bullet setback, cause the gun to not function? My gut says no. A bump to the slide and you know it's fully in battery, and since press checking is something that is done, I can't see it being an issue.

kbm6893 said:
. . . is it an issue easing the slide forward to chamber the round, and then bumping the slide to make sure it's in battery?

As a direct reply to your query, I'd say "No, it's not an issue", but you have asked for opinions and that's mine. :mrgreen:

I for one like the pop-up loaded round indicator on top. Even though most of mine are always loaded, it was handy. Especially in the dark.

I am not a fan of easing the slide rather checking or chambering. They are made to shut with force.