Ridiculous negotiation

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fansnotes

Bearcat
In the course of my search for a reasonably priced Bearcat I came across one on-line, located halfway across the country. It was described as a "Used Ruger New Bearcat, stainless steel .22 cal." but there was something not quite right about it - although the two pictures, showing each side of the piece, had me drooling.

The screw affixing the ejector housing was blued, as was the ejector rod. No problem, I thought, but then came the seller's explanation: the entire piece had been blued. Huh, really, blued stainless steel? And now it's back to stainless (as shown in two pictures)? Then the seller explained that the piece was originally blued, but had been polished after its purchase. Oh, brother!

I explained to the seller (a pawn shop with a very large - if not downright huge - inventory of firearms) that polishing a blued firearm doesn't convert it into a stainless steel one. Instead, that piece is likely to be rusting right now, while I'm writing this! I pointed out to the seller that the description in their listing was in error, and he had wasted my time.

I'm having a difficult time believing that even a pawn shop - one with hundreds of firearms in inventory, mind you - does not realize a blued firearm doesn't get transmogrified into a stainless steel one by removing the bluing! And I was so very close to buying that supposedly "stainless steel" Bearcat!

Anyway, I'm still in the market . . . though now with a renewed sense of "Buyer beware"!

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
You have to be vigilant when dealing with the on line auctions. If they seem to be too good to be true they probably are. I try to find out what any particular model is selling for and go from there. Many times I see Beatcats offered with the "brass" trigger guard when they actually are anodized aluminum. They also try to make a special thing of the "engraved cylinder" on them when in fact they ALL have an engraved cylinder. If truly interested in 'gathering' a collection or just knowing about the Ruger line of firearms I would suggest getting a subscription to RENE.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
A brace of Colts SAs 1899 and 1903 manufacture STAINLESS STEEL @ $40,000.00?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=497577924

SATCOM

bobski

Hunter
ria is another entertaining group.
you call them with a simple question on a winchester shotgun like...what kind of rib does it have....and they respond like deer in headlights....yet, expect you to bid on a gun blindly....afterall it must be good. its on ria!

Velvet

Bearcat
I've bought, sold, and traded several hundred guns on via the internet for the last 16 years and I've had a relatively good experience overall. If I remember correctly I have only had about five or so that were disappointing resulting in me sending back two. I'm never shy about calling dealers on the carpet about misrepresentation. Some correct the ad and some have just ignored me. I do the majority of my dealing on Gunbroker and feedback plays a big roll in my decisions but many times I ask for more photos or call the dealer to further discuss the condition.

opos

Buckeye
I trade at a local pawn shop all the time...the people behind the counter are all active shooters and really up on their game...I am far more at home dealing with them that at several of the LGS establishments and certainly more than at the "big box" sporting goods stores...I've had great luck but as with any used firearm...I figure it was sold for a reason and I don't want to be missing a "reason" that affects the firearm...

I've had good luck on forums like this one but I don't go to the straight on line sites...just like I don't go to gun shows...except to just look around..too many good old boys with a story just to dump whatever they have.

Enigma

Buckeye
SATCOM said:
A brace of Colts SAs 1899 and 1903 manufacture STAINLESS STEEL @ $40,000.00?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=497577924

SATCOM

Since edited - a complete 'restoration' by the Colt Custom Shop in 1989; no longer called 'stainless,' and reduced to only $34,999!

Latest posts