Ridiculous mini-30 Accuracy Issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
I had a gun that was driving me nuts. It would shoot 3 inch groups at 100 yards and next wouldn't hit a barn at 100 yards.
What was happening was the front mount would sometimes come loose completely off the dovetail and slide about 1/4 forward, and other times it would slide back on and seem nice and tight when I was checking it.
I came very close to taking a hammer to a very nice scope.

I would check mounts before anything else.

pisgah

Buckeye
I may be recalling wrong, but I do believe Ruger Mini-30 bores, at least in the early ones, are .308, not .310. Likewise, most if not all American 7.62x39 factory ammo is loaded with .308 bullets. The .002 difference in bullet diameters poses no danger, but it may not be conducive to accuracy.

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
Thanks everyone. :D It's someone else's problem now. No mini-30 will ever darken my gunsafe again. :lol:
However, I DID tell the dealer who will sell that mini-30 for me to tell whoever's concidering buying it that I couldn't make it put 3 bullets in a foot at 100 yards. Maybe whoever buys it can - I don't care. The money from the sale of that mini-30 will be put towards my official "retirement" rifle. I'm planning on having a rifle custom built right after the first of the year. It should be ready for my 62nd birthday in April. :D

jazzpicker

Bearcat
I think it's a combination of the rifle and ammo. I've had a couple of mini-30, mini-14s in the past and could never get the rifles to shoot accurately trying different ammo , scopes etc.
With other types of rifles I can usually find a round that will greatly increase accuracy but with "Mini 30's and 14s" just I gave up and sold them after a lot of frustration. It's a pity that they have this problen because they are neat rifles, remind me of small garands, I'd love having an accurate one.
I wonder if anyone ever lucked up on a sub-moa "mini".

sebtool

Blackhawk
I seem to recall reading something about some screwy PMC ammo awhile back, but don't think it was 7.62x39.

I've got an old Mini 14, which was filthy when I got it, and the guy shot the cheapest junk he could find in it. After a week long, thorough cleaning, and reassmbly, the gun is an honest 1.5 moa or less shooter. And that's just with Winchester white box promo stuff. I'm sure I can get better out of it, if I take the time to do it.