Revolver Guy with Pistol Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DukeMinski

Bearcat
I'm not usually over here in the Pistol forum 'cause I'm a wheel-gunner.
I own a GP100 4" in .357, an SP101 2" in .357, and an SP101 3" in .327mag.
However, I have some questions for you semi-auto guys.
*Does the SIG P250 have a safety? And is that a DAO pistol?
*Would the SR40C make a good first-time pistol for me?
*Same question for the P250.
*What about 9mm -vs- .40cal? Pro's/Con's of either one?
*What concealed carry concerns would you have for either the SR40C or the P250?
*Overall comments regarding SR40C -vs- P250?
I've shot both of these pistols and like them...but I'm just not comfortable with semi-autos yet.
Too much weirdness with jamming, stove-pipes, FTF, etc. Just seems like an accident waiting to happen.
But that may be due to my lack of training & experience.

roylt

Hunter
I say if you like to carry your "wheel" gun than stick with that. I personally have no experience with the 2 guns you mentioned but can tell you if a gun is maintained etc it should function without fail. I run the old Ruger P-series and Glock. The only issues I have ever had was on a used gun that was not cared for as it should have been. After I "fixed" it it has not failed once.

With that said there is no way you can say none of mine won't fail 100% but chances are they will not.

Also with a wheel gun you could have an issue but less likely because of less moving parts.

9 vs 40.... Well I shoot both but like 40 more. Feels about the same in hand to me but would have a bit more stopping power. Cost more and you get less rounds but in my P-guns they still hold 12 vs 16 9mm and the glock holds 16 vs 18 9mm.

Welcome by the way and I'm sure other with more experience then I will be along to add their 2 cents.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Hello DM,

I have a P250c sitting right here in front of me. It is a fine pistol, better than it is given credit for. Ultra reliable, and very accurate. The DAO trigger is smooth, but there is no safety. The idea behind DAO was to simulate the trigger of a revolver. I think you would take to it well. The P250 also has a visible hammer. Sig also has a DAK design, which is a modification of the DAO concept.

I have the full-sized SR40 and the SR9C, and both are fine pistols. They do have the trigger safety, which historically is not my favorite, as I have always like a smooth trigger surface, but you get used to it. The SR trigger is fine, and can be modded if you so choose. I have very little trigger issues unless the trigger has a ton of creep, being a guy that shot only DA in revolvers. Kind of set my mind out to do that from a young fella. So I tend to be able to handle a heavier trigger. The SR's I have both have frame mounted safety's. But, they are very small and tend not to get hooked on things. The SR's are striker fired, which is really a DAO without a visible hammer.

Like Roy, I favor the 40 Smith, but see no issues with the 45 ACP nor 9mm. I grew up shooting .357 and .44 mag and have no issues with the peppy 40 Smith, but many do.

Semi's CAN be more temperamental than revolvers, but with the quality of ammo these days, revolvers don't always go bang, like they did when I was younger. It is really up to you, but with whatever you choose, keep carrying what makes you feel comfortable, which is likely the revolver, and play with a semi a bit. If you question your carry firearm, you will be thinking about that too much when it comes time to take it out. Better to take that out of the equation if you ask me. Go with what you feel comfortable with.

Keep a semi clean and lightly lubed, and you will do fine. Keep that shooting hand elbow, wrist, and forearm taught, and you will avoid many of the ammo issues also.

Also, when reading about triggers, take advice with a grain of salt. None of these DAO triggers are heavy imo, I think many on forums are from the post-Glock era and do not remember real combat triggers, heavier triggers. So coming from the revolver world may give you the same slant I have. It may not.

Good luck with whichever you choose. Either is a good choice.

Nothing against revolvers... but I've had just as many fail to fires in them as in semis.... I have a friend with the Sig you mention and it is ultra reliable. I carry a Sig 230 and it has never once let me down.... but I really like Rugers... but I am a P series fan... 40cal of course has more knock down power but you will have to pay more for practice. Here's my answer to knock down power... TV is the only place I know where they bad guy gets hit with one shot and falls down dead.

Mike J

Hunter
Modern semi-autos are very reliable. If you buy a quality brand you should be fine. I agree with Wixedmords that if you are comfortable with revolvers you should continue to carry a revolver. When you get the semi just spend time with it & get to know it. You may decide you want to carry it. As far as caliber I own pistols in 9mm, .40 & .45. I believe any of them could work with proper shot placement.

As far as what to get I have no experience with the SR40c or the Sig. I tend to believe though that as long as you get a quality brand with a good reputation for customer service you will most likely be okay. If you have a problem they should take care of you.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I'm in the opposite boat. I am a long time semi auto guy who is beginning to warm to revolvers.

I currently carry an SR9c, and would not consider switching to a wheel gun for carry right now. I really like the slimmer profile, and larger capacity of the semis. With the exception of two stovepipes in the first box, my SR9c has performed flawlessly with all factory ammo. I now have about 2K through it.

I would recommend deciding on a platform, and then get used to it on the range. After a thousand rounds or so, you will develop a sense of whether on not it is for you.

I'm not real fond of DA triggers. I do like a striker for carry. I would consider most strikers to be something in between DA and SA. My SR9c has a trigger pull of about 5.5 to 6 lbs. This would be on the light end of most strikers, and is very close to the pull of an SA. Of course, the pull length is much longer than any SA I have experienced.

roylt

Hunter
Clovishound said:
I'm in the opposite boat. I am a long time semi auto guy who is beginning to warm to revolvers.

I currently carry an SR9c, and would not consider switching to a wheel gun for carry right now. I really like the slimmer profile, and larger capacity of the semis. With the exception of two stovepipes in the first box, my SR9c has performed flawlessly with all factory ammo. I now have about 2K through it.

I would recommend deciding on a platform, and then get used to it on the range. After a thousand rounds or so, you will develop a sense of whether on not it is for you.

I'm not real fond of DA triggers. I do like a striker for carry. I would consider most strikers to be something in between DA and SA. My SR9c has a trigger pull of about 5.5 to 6 lbs. This would be on the light end of most strikers, and is very close to the pull of an SA. Of course, the pull length is much longer than any SA I have experienced.

Not jack your tread but.... Get a GP100. Love mine. Or SP101

GKC

Blackhawk
I've owned many of both "flavors" (revolvers and semi-autos) and both have their advantages and disadvantages...so it comes down to personal preference in most cases.

One thing about malfunctions in revolvers...other than an ammo failure, when (if) a revolver malfunctions, it's often not something that can easily be cleared in the field. I do think a revolver tends by design to be more reliable, since it's simpler (doesn't rely as much on springs like recoil and magazine) and isn't susceptible to user-induced malfunctions (like limp-wristing) as are semi-autos. Some people find the DA or DAO trigger on a revolver harder to manage, than the trigger on a semi-auto (especially on a 1911.) At one time, I didn't care for semi-autos, but now I prefer them to revolvers. That's just my personal preference.

Some people find they can shoot one or the other well, but not both...so, it's best to rent before you buy, if at all possible.

groberts

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
TV is the only place I know where they bad guy gets hit with one shot and falls down dead.
Funny, TV is the only place I know where the good guy gets hit time and time again and keeps coming. :p

Airbrush Artist

Bearcat
I recently went from years of carrying a Colt Detective 38 Special Revolver
to a Beretta PX4 sub-compact 9mm,and just yesterday purchased a Ruger SR 40-C,so I have the calibers covered, .38-9mm-40 Caliber,the one thing I do know is that 1973 .38 Special is perfect as a C&C Firearm could be to this very day,whenever I need to have a grab and go gun on my hip its the point and shoot .Colt .38 loaded with Hornaday Critical Defense hollow points, I have no qualms about what it can do in a defensive situation.just remember to know and learn the proper operation and safe rules for what ever you carry, the SR 40-C or the Beretta PX 4 Sub compact are excellent choices in a semi-automatic firearm I did months of research in making my choices and in price they are the best in line with affordable prices..

cfolsom

Bearcat
Duke,

You said you had shot both of these. Did you rent or shoot a friend's?

If you have friends with the pistols, ask them questions. Borrow them and shoot them some more. You will figure out which one "works" for you.

If you rented, rent again.

If it is to become you carry gun, look at weight, capacity, availability of holsters and extra mags. Prices of extra mags might be dramatically different.

Currently in my area 40 cal ammo is regularly available and 9 is hit or miss. That would make me lean towards the 40.

Do more research online, but take opinions with a grain of salt.

See if one has a more natural point of aim/point of impact for you.

Good luck.

I have revolvers now. When an LEO I carried semi's then. I have not had an revolver misfire or jam with quality ammo. I have had stoppages with quality ammo with a S & W 439, 4506, and Keltec P-11. I still have the KT just to have a high cap pistol. I reload, and hate retrieving brass!
gramps

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
interesting thread since i have been seriously looking to change to a GP100 for an EDC instead of my P90 for a concealability option if and when i choose too.

Rabon

Single-Sixer
DukeMinski said:
I'm not usually over here in the Pistol forum 'cause I'm a wheel-gunner.
I own a GP100 4" in .357, an SP101 2" in .357, and an SP101 3" in .327mag.
However, I have some questions for you semi-auto guys.
*Does the SIG P250 have a safety? And is that a DAO pistol?
*Would the SR40C make a good first-time pistol for me?
*Same question for the P250.
*What about 9mm -vs- .40cal? Pro's/Con's of either one?
*What concealed carry concerns would you have for either the SR40C or the P250?
*Overall comments regarding SR40C -vs- P250?
I've shot both of these pistols and like them...but I'm just not comfortable with semi-autos yet.
Too much weirdness with jamming, stove-pipes, FTF, etc. Just seems like an accident waiting to happen.
But that may be due to my lack of training & experience.
Todays auto pistols run from pathetic to incredible. When I shoot autos I generally shoot around 300 rounds (it goes quick) when I shoot revolvers probably around a box (and it takes a while). Several of my autos are still waiting for their first malfunction with round counts which I couldn't live long enough to shoot through a revolver in my life time. :)
Choose wisely, good autopistols are as reliable as an anvil.

MGFed

Bearcat
I sent my new SR45 Ruger back to Prescott for repair under warranty. I was emailed today that the gun is not repairable, I will be sent a new gun and my old one will be destroyed. Needless to say, I am surprised. I put about 250 rounds through it before I sent it back (failure to eject and feed) and I wonder what risks I was evidently taking shooting this defective gun? I have never had a problem with my S&W 686-3 357mag revolver. No way to know how many rounds I have shot over the years. Thoughts?

MGFed said:
I sent Omy new SR45 Ruger back to Prescott for repair under warranty. I was emailed today that the gun is not repairable, I will be sent a new gun and my old one will be destroyed. Needless to say, I am surprised. I put about 250 rounds through it before I sent it back (failure to eject and feed) and I wonder what risks I was evidently taking shooting this defective gun? I have never had a problem with my S&W 686-3 357mag revolver. No way to know how many rounds I have shot over the years. Thoughts?
Don't over think the situation.
gramps

DukeMinski

Bearcat
Guys, thanks for the good advice. I appreciate your input.

Clovishound - I'll echo Roylt's comment...I love my GP100.
Built like a tank, comfortable to shoot .357mag all day long, doesn't look like a Tupperware/Glock wannabe (thanks, Hangnoose).
Also really like my 2.25" SP101 in .357mag and my 3" SP101 in .327FedMag.
BEWARE! Revolvers can be addictive ! ! !
And like you I do own a S&W...a very old S&W that is probably 100 years old and has been in my family the whole time.

Cfolsom - "Borrowed", I shot the P250 at the range with my freind. Liked it much more than his Bersa 380.
In fact, we went shooting a 2nd time since my last post, and shot the P250 again. Probably put 2 boxes of 9mm thru it. Compared it side-by-side with my GP100 shooting .38spc+P ammo.
P250 has lighter trigger pull when shooting DA, which gave slightly better groups when shooting both in DA.
No jams or FTFs (I was making a determined effort not to "limp wrist" it, which may have been part of my earlier problems with semi-autos).
GP100 has more weight, longer barrel, light SA trigger pull & better groups when shooting in SA.
REALLY like the P250. But I'll never part with my GP100.

Next challenge:
Another buddy has an SR40c that is his CCW and he loves it.
May try that next to the P250 and GP100 next time we all go to the range.

OMG! Am I starting to like semi-auto's ? ? ? ?
Hangnoose! Gramps! Help!!!!!