Revolver for my wife

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Junglebob,
My wife has shot my Model 60 several times and never mentioned recoil at all. She did mention recoil on the Model 29 Smith & Wesson I owned when she shot it. I didn't even have high end mag rounds in it, just warm 44 spl but she said it kicked too hard (I think it was just too big of a revolver all the way around and she was intimidated by it).

If the Tarus 85 is about the same weight it would be worth it for her to take a look and shoot it. I don't know about the grip but the nice thing with revolvers is if you don't like the grip, there are a number of options available.

The only thing with the M60 is the weight would be pretty noticeable in the purse or on the hip. I carry mine a lot but one couldn't honestly claim "I forget it is there".

I think it is a balance between what recoil she can handle and what she's going to carry. It doesn't matter how well she shoots a firearm if it's sitting at home when she needs it. It is somewhat of a perplexing problem. My wife is not a "gun guy" although she is not anti gun she's just "not interested". In her mind, she's lived 51 years and never needed one so what's the point. She is, however, open to getting her CDW and carrying since there have been a number of crimes against women (muggings in parking lots) around here.

I just wish one of our local ranges had an LCR to rent so that she could shoot one.

Jeff

OldNavy

Single-Sixer
etdbob said:
I dunno, I heard the LCR .22 has a heck of a heavy trigger pull. Can anyone confirm that?

Our family has one LCR in .22LR and three in .38. The .22's trigger pull is somewhat heavier than any of the .38s. Since I don't have a trigger-pull scale I can't give you any numbers, but the difference is obvious to anyone who has shot them. Is it "very heavy"? That would depend on your definition. As I understand it, the .22 was designed with a heavier hammer spring since the rimfire requires a harder blow than the centerfires in order to guarentee a "bang" result. Remember, the smaller you make a hammer gun, the stiffer hammer spring you have to use because the hammer has a shorter travel distance (in which to build up momentum) and less mass (due to the smaller/lighter hammer). Thinking back to my Smith & Wesson J-Frame days, I'd say the LCR .22 "felt" trigger pull is about the same as an out of the box J-frame Smith.

Junglebob

Bearcat
jeffnles1 said:
Junglebob,
My wife has shot my Model 60 several times and never mentioned recoil at all. She did mention recoil on the Model 29 Smith & Wesson I owned when she shot it. I didn't even have high end mag rounds in it, just warm 44 spl but she said it kicked too hard (I think it was just too big of a revolver all the way around and she was intimidated by it).

If the Tarus 85 is about the same weight it would be worth it for her to take a look and shoot it. I don't know about the grip but the nice thing with revolvers is if you don't like the grip, there are a number of options available.

The only thing with the M60 is the weight would be pretty noticeable in the purse or on the hip. I carry mine a lot but one couldn't honestly claim "I forget it is there".

I think it is a balance between what recoil she can handle and what she's going to carry. It doesn't matter how well she shoots a firearm if it's sitting at home when she needs it. It is somewhat of a perplexing problem. My wife is not a "gun guy" although she is not anti gun she's just "not interested". In her mind, she's lived 51 years and never needed one so what's the point. She is, however, open to getting her CDW and carrying since there have been a number of crimes against women (muggings in parking lots) around here.

I just wish one of our local ranges had an LCR to rent so that she could shoot one.

Jeff

I guess my wife is like yours in some respects, a little older 62 now. She works part-time as an RN. Unfortunately one of the places that carry is prohibited at is hospitals, though not in parked cars. Like your wife my wife hasn't needed a gun up to this point. She plans on retiring early next year. She has taken 3 different handgun classes with me, NRA basic pistol, a short one day course by a sheriff's department, and a 2 day Illinois CC course.

Junglebob

Bearcat
I borrowed a friends S&W .357 snubby revolver, it weighs about 23 ounces. My wife fired .38 special ammo in it and didn't seem to mind the recoil. I still need to get her to try a Ruger LCR.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
One advantage of the Taurus #85 Series in .38 Special is the Taurus "Ribber" Grip option. The Ribber Grip has soft, flexible, horizontal rubber ribs that really cushion recoil. They take the sting right out. The part number is 5-20001. They're available on the Taurus website for $18. Take a look at them. They may solve the problem.

Best Regards,
ADP3