Revolver for MIL

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mjh

Single-Sixer
If MIL likes and did well with the SP 101 then I'd stick with it. I have an LCR .357 and would only carry 38 or 38 +P in it, no fun to shoot .357 in it. I'm even thinking about selling/trading the LCR when I can find an SP 101 15707.

rexp47

Bearcat
Ihave a LCR ,1.7\8 barrel in 327 fed. love the idea but cannot hit any thing with it, think i would like it with 3" barrel I would really like a SP101 3'in 327 . i like the 327 becacuse i can shoot any 32s I am 75 so just my HO

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I'm impressed enough that she can pull the trigger on an SP101 with stock springs :)

I just put ISMI springs in my SP .38 last night, just to make it shootable. ISMI are the only springs I trust if I'm going lighter in a self defense gun.

I'm assuming she will be purse carrying. So weight isn't as much of an issue.

Don't fix what isn't broke, get her an SP101 and let her shoot standard 158gr LRN.38 from a good manufacturer like Federal. That round has worked well since the 1900s , simple and proven is better. If she likes that combo , roll with it. She can keep 5 loose rounds somewhere in her purse as an emergency reload but honestly, I'd not even emphasize reloading under stress with her. She's got 5 for sure, I really don't think she's worried about a reload. 90% of the time I don't carry a reload.

There's no need for the extra blast of +P for a 77 year old, in my opinion. Too many people try to turn their elderly relatives into John Wick, youve done well with choosing a simple, reliable gun she can shoot well

My 75 year old mom carries an LCP, no extra mag, it's ideal for her because it's DAO, she can point and squeeze. I don't expect much more out of my 75 year old mom , besides point and shoot at close range. No messing with extra magazines or any of that crap. Meet people where they are and what their skill level tops out at

I have been a Certified trainer Fed./State? Local level for over 40 yrs and agree with what you say. I worked at SGC for years, a high end Class III range/dealer and I can't tell yoo how many snub guns came in used from people that were like "new", who thought they were cute, easy to handle & carry and when they fired them, OMG! That was it! I own them, several and they kick like a Missouri Mule, period. I do load down, using upside down 148Gr wadcutters, the old "flying ashtray" load, around 650-700 fps. Its Ok, but even a steady diet of those can get old fast, especially at (77) and with little to no experience. Imagine what could happen when this sweet little old lady pulls it out and touches off the firsts round? Nothing good that I can imagine! between recoil, muzzle blast/flash & noise, she will be sensory deprived and lucky to have any idea of what is going on around her.(IMHO)
You don't want her to be a threat to herself and everyone around her. Have her practice drawing, presenting and squeezing the trigger a few times with it unloaded and determine if she could do it effectively under stress. She might be best served with a nightstand gun she can use if someone comes through the door on her. Anyone can stand in front of the target and get decent results. What's a realistic first shot from cover and followups? Practicing with a shot timer can simulate stress. That beep meaning the threat is real and present. Practice these drills with the gun unloaded and make a realistic decision that won't endanger everyone but an actual threat.

Rat76

Single-Sixer
Just a couple of cents worth thrown in here. 77 was a few years shy of when we removed the bullets from my Dad's S&W 10-2.

He was getting quite hard of seeing & not as quick on the uptake. My brother was full time care giver for Dad & Mom & we decided make things a little safer for him.

YMMV of course