Revolver as a ccw

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tankhead

Bearcat
I just couldn't get enough of that RH. I've decided to take the classes for a ccw. It's like $115 and a weekend. I was going thru the 2010 catalog and didn't see anything else I liked but the SP-101 357 mag. If anything it was a P944. But a little heavy at 36 oz. I'd like to stay w/ a Ruger. But,... I want to stay in the mid 20 oz. range. The price for the SP is right at $435 delivered and the P944 stainless at $475 + taxes (35) + fees (15). I don't really need a whole lot of firepower although 5 shots seems so limited. DId some searches this weekend. Plenty of info in this section.

If anything it could compliment my RH 44 mag if needed. :D

SAJohn

Hunter
Tank, The early version Charter Arms Bulldog .44 special shows up on the internet for sale at resonable prices. I have carried mine for about 20 years. They are lightweight and dead reliable. You can reload using your .44 mag dies although crimping is best done with a dedicated .44 special die.

Only 5 shots but they are 250 grain SWC's!

Recoil is a bit nasty with the stock wood grips. The small rubber grips help a bunch.

Don't even think about ever taking one apart. It took me two days to get mine reassembled.
CharterArmsBulldof.jpg

John

p.s., If Ruger would slightly scale-up the lcr to .44 special or .45acp I would retire the Bulldog in a second.

Imaginos

Bearcat
FWIW - I had to given up my Ruger P90 and all other semi-autos in favor of the SP101.

My circumstances are specific to myself, but I do not feel undergunned with a 357, 44, or 45 revolver provided I can control it in rapid fire.

Just practice (a lot) loading from speedloaders, speed strips, and loose rounds, and if possible, carry a second gun.

Until the 1880's THE main defensive side arm was the revolver. They have lost none of their efficiency. They are just not "hip" right now.
However S&W is making some really cool Night Guard pistols that may change all that.

Read "No Second Place Winner" by Bill Jordan, and watch Jerry Miculeck's world record video online.

The revolver is far from obsolete.
Remember:
No autopistol will be able to put a more powerful round into a smaller package than is possible with a revolver.
No autopistol will ever have a manual of arms simpler than a revolver.
No autopistol can use a barricade or rested position as effectively as a revolver.

Elmer

Bearcat
I'm perfectly happy with my DAO .357 SP101 for primary CCW. Light enough to carry comfortably and tough enough to practice with regularly. And snubbies do take a lot of practice. I like my semi-autos, but I carry my SP101. :)

I second Imaginos on the practice with speed loaders, speed strips, etc. I made my choice for DAO revolver based on simplicity, reliability, and the fact that DAO means I have no snags on draw from concealed and won't get stupid and cock the hammer. At first, I wondered about giving up capacity, but I have found that revolvers can be reloaded very quickly with practice. So I am not really worried about the very unlikely event of needing more than 5 shots.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
I'd rather have an SP101 than a Charter 5-shot 44. You can't run really stout 44spl for long in the charter before it'll come unglued. Even mid-range 357 ammo in the SP101 will at least match the 44 in a Charter for overall effectiveness...Cor-bon's 357 125gr "DPX" is loaded on the mild side and is easily controlled by an SP101. Ditto several others but I think the DPX is the best of the "milder 357 loads".

Nice thing about a snubby revolver is, in a close-range fight it turns out to be the king. It's hard to grab away from you, and it can't go out of battery under direct pressure on the muzzle. In a "knife/grapple range" fight, a snubby 357 is more likely to win than anything else you can pack, even with "only" five shots.

wwb

Hunter
There are exceptions, but the typical defensive situation involves one, or sometimes two, adversaries. Also, the range involved is so short that aiming or pinpoint accuracy is not a consideration.... it's a "point and shoot". In such a case, if 5 rounds ain't enough, you oughta be runnin' instead of fightin'.

Additionally, in most instances, once your concealed weapon is no longer concealed, the situation is resolved without a shot being fired..... the bad guy suddenly remembers a very important appointment he had elsewhere.

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
Well, mine aint a Ruger, It's kinda old, a bit nicked and dinged and in that woefully weak .38 Sp caliber, but loaded with a +P 158 gr LSWCHP I feel reasonably well protected :)

Picture354.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
I agree with the above statement about revolvers aren't high on the "cool" factor compared to semi-auto's.
However,, I teach a lot of ladies the NRA WOT clinics,, and I always stress one thing; "If you are not going to spend the time to become muscle memory capable with a firearm,, then a DA revolver is the best way to go." Why? Well, they are almost infallible, can be operated with either hand, one handed or two,, and under stress, you don't have to think about anything but, "pull it out, aim, & pull the trigger." It can be fired from inside a pocket or purse,, and will repeat that feature w/o the types of jams a semi may have. All in all, a good choice for self defense. And as mentioned above,, usually you only have 1-2 thugs to deal with so 5 rounds or 6 should be plenty.
Hard to beat a SP-101.

sebtool

Blackhawk
"Tank, The early version Charter Arms Bulldog .44 special shows up on the internet for sale at resonable prices. I have carried mine for about 20 years. They are lightweight and dead reliable. You can reload using your .44 mag dies although crimping is best done with a dedicated .44 special die.

Only 5 shots but they are 250 grain SWC's!

Recoil is a bit nasty with the stock wood grips. The small rubber grips help a bunch.

Don't even think about ever taking one apart. It took me two days to get mine reassembled."

SAJohn - What holster do you use? I've been looking for good 1, just picked up a Bianchi Ranger off of 'feebay', should be here shortly. But I don't think it's going to be a very good ccw holster.

I like the Bulldog, and would carry it with the right holster. It's comfortable, lightweight, and you can't argue with the firepower! I think if I was looking down that barrel I'd have 2nd thoughts about messing with whoever was pointing it at me. I'd like to find a set of those compact grips tho. I guess they're out of production.

I've got an SP101 as well, and recently got a Simply Rugged pancake holster for it. It's a good holster, and comfortable to wear. Granted, the SP101 is a little heavy, but that holster supports it well. With a speed strip or 2, I definitely don't feel undergunned!

As far as being cool, I've got a few choice when it comes to ccw, and I keep going back to the SP101. I think anything that's gonna save my worthless bacon is purty doggone cool! 8)

Lee Martin

Hunter
I carry these 357s everywhere I go:

Carry_Guns.JPG

If not those two however, I'd likely use a Charter Arms:

Charter_Arms_Bulldog_2.jpg

Charter_Arms_Bulldog.JPG

As mentioned, they pack a lot of punch per ounce and are reasonably priced. Not built for volume shooting, but they're perfect for CCW.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
btrumanj":113tluu6 said:
Well, mine aint a Ruger, It's kinda old, a bit nicked and dinged and in that woefully weak .38 Sp caliber, but loaded with a +P 158 gr LSWCHP I feel reasonably well protected :)

Picture354.jpg

I just saw "The Road" this past weekend based on Cormack McCarthy's novel. That choice looks quite familiar, minus the T-grip. Needs the 2 cartridges to go with it.

The ol' M&P/Model 10 --- Good Enough to Survive the Apocalypse!

maxpress

Buckeye
i dont think 5 shots is to much of a limitation since with a little practice a speed loader will charge a revolver almost as fast as a mag will charge an auto.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
+1 on the Charters Arms Bulldog 44 Spl.

If I'm wearing some type of outer garment (or untucked shirt), I'll usually be packing my Bulldog instead of my LCP. Mine fits perfectly in a J-Frame holster.....in this case a DeSantis.

Bulldog44.jpg

P1010014.jpg

stare-decisis

Single-Sixer
I like to alternate between my SP101 and a P345. I don't feel under gunned at all w/the SP101. In fact, I think i shoot a little better w/it than the P345. Only advantage w/the P345 is capacity. Thats it.