REVISED RUGER LTR. BKH-47> Flattop 44 OM buried at LGS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I remember the words of our old buddy "flatgate" who used to say that ANY old model flattop, even a beat up & converted 6.5" barreled .357 was worth $400.

And it must have been 15 years ago that he was giving that advice.

Congrats on a fantastic purchase!
I believe flatgate also used to say "buy the gun, not the story". ;)

It's still a .44 Flattop, though. Good score! 😁

hittman

Staff member
"is designated as a model BKH-46" (which, of course, we know is incorrect).
I also would go with what the mothership says. And so will potential buyers if you decide to sell it.

Nice gun either way and well worth what you paid.

Yes, good info above, believe the Mother ship, we too have seen far too many cut or rebarreled over the years, hell our shop did enough of them ourselves to drive many collectors bonkers..............and at the price you're getting it for certainly was NOT a "fake on purpose"...nice find no mater how you look at it....:cool::rolleyes:;)

Johnnu2

Hunter
Sounds fine to me... BKH46 it is....... Chet, might as well 'correct' your list of BKH47 serial numbers and remove mine....

J.

nekvermont

Buckeye
I'm not a revolver kind of guy but I really enjoyed this thread. I'm amazed at the amount of knowledge there is here, on this forum.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks everyone.... I will post pics eventually. I called to assure that the county clerk did, indeed, get my amendment forms 5 weeks ago. They said "YES" and "be patient".... So, sooner or later I'll get it and it will forever be a BKH47 to me :)
p.s. nekvermont.... YES, they do know their stuff on this forum and there was never a better bunch of people to be associated with IMHO

J.

Johnnu2

Hunter
After 6 weeks, I got my permit amended and picked up my gun. I have a LOT of pics so will post some here and some more in the following post.

Heading to next post for more pics.
J.

Last edited:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Here's the next batch........of my 7 1/2" bbl. BKH-"46".....

That's it for now....... culmination of about 5 years of collecting parts and waiting. (XR-3 grip frame and grips from Don F. IIRC, correct base pin from Jussbad; hope I didn't forget anyone). P.S. It shoots very well.
J.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Nice!
The gun looks just fine. But I see your very last picture showing a Super Blackhawk Dragoon grip frame, and the safety transfer conversion parts.
Are you going to install those parts on the OM?
Or, were they on the gun and you returned the gun to it's glory? (I'm guessing you returned the gun to it's original configuration, ad the main frame has been back to Ruger for the conversion.)

Johnnu2

Hunter
You're correct Ty....... The Dragoon grip frame and conversion parts were on the gun when I purchased it (I knew they were there since I first saw it years ago). You can see the R marking on the frame under the trigger guard in one of the pics. Several years ago, I got the correct XR3 frame and grips from Don F.; and had the large frame OM parts in my stash. It is now completely restored to it's original 'glory' :).
I'm thinking about sending a ltr to Ruger with some pics, and their letter to me saying it was 'designated' BKH-46, to see if further "research" is warranted since I'll be darned if I can see any evidence the barrel was changed. It sure looks factory original to my untrained eye..... In the meantime, she is a beauty and has proven to be a good shooter ... going to the range again today to play with it. p.s. putting the Dragoon grip frame and grips in our Classifieds as soon as I finish this post.
J.

Johnnu2

Hunter
THANKS Terry.... it shot two very, very good 25 yd. groups today.... I'm using a light load of 231 and a 240 gr LSW bullet (.430"); and it's really more than I would like to shoot for fun at my old age, but worth the pain :))

J.

Johnnu2

Hunter
In my recent/previous post, I mentioned that I was thinking about sending a ltr and pics to Ruger Records Dept asking for further "research". Well, I did and got back a revised letter confirming it as a BKH-47.... Here it is:

YEA... happy camper,
J.

Last edited:

Johnnu2

Hunter
YES, it was a surprise to me too..... AND, Ruger responded VERY quickly (which was even a bigger surprise)...
THANKS to all for all the kind words, information, parts and encouragement.... I'm shooting her again tomorrow.... ! :D

Latest posts