REVISED RUGER LTR. BKH-47> Flattop 44 OM buried at LGS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
I know this will be hard to believe but, over about the last 5+ years, I've been watching an OM 44 FT just sitting in an overloaded display case in a tiny LGS. Because I've been ambivalent, and, trying not to buy any more guns, I've been wrestling with buying it. Hence I'm looking for your thoughts:
First, it's ser# is 20515. The tag says ' 7" bbl,' I haven't measured it yet. The price is $499.99 + tax. Overall condition: bluing is exceptionally original looking to me; I pulled the cylinder and examined the ratchet; it looks hardly touched; the gun has been fired and I have no idea of the condition of the bore or individual chambers (yet).
Now, the bad news:
It's been converted (I have a full set of parts to "un-convert" it.
The grip frame was changed; it now sports a Super Blackhawk dragoon grip frame and wood grips (which I suppose I could sell here). I have a spare original XR3 grip frame and grips in my stash.
If it IS a 7 1/2" bbl, how rare it that?
Not knowing the condition of the bbl and cyl (I suppose I could clean it and look at the LGS, but these guys are pretty 'back-woods' and may break my stones :) ); would you pay the asking price?
Forgive me, but it may take me another five years to decide, so I really don't want to post the LGS info.
What do you all think (really).... ????
J.

Cholo

Staff member
If it is a 7 1/2" I'd jump on it! I've heard there were about 1,500 of them made, maybe less. You've got the innards and grip frame, all you'd need is proper grips and they won't set you back that much.

If the bluing is original and in great shape, why wouldn't the bore and cylinder be fine?

What are you waiting for?

PS: Wouldn't be a bad deal for a 6 1/2" either!

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
If it is 7.5", buy it.

They are nearly as rare as the 10" guns. If it had original parts and minty, it would be $1800-$2K. A restored shooter should still be worth $600-700.

Don't forget that you need a set of large frame parts, not a .357 set. The hammer is taller and the base pin is longer and has a collar.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I might add that you could also use it as the basis for a redneck custom. I found a cheap ($545 + tax) one 20 years ago (May 2002) that had all its original parts but was shooter grade, so I decided to do a reversible bolt-on frankenruger.

1651066977119.jpeg

1651066995971.jpeg

Last edited:

Diabloman

Single-Sixer
I know this will be hard to believe but, over about the last 5+ years, I've been watching an OM 44 FT just sitting in an overloaded display case in a tiny LGS. Because I've been ambivalent, and, trying not to buy any more guns, I've been wrestling with buying it. Hence I'm looking for your thoughts:
First, it's ser# is 20515. The tag says ' 7" bbl,' I haven't measured it yet. The price is $499.99 + tax. Overall condition: bluing is exceptionally original looking to me; I pulled the cylinder and examined the ratchet; it looks hardly touched; the gun has been fired and I have no idea of the condition of the bore or individual chambers (yet).
Now, the bad news:
It's been converted (I have a full set of parts to "un-convert" it.
The grip frame was changed; it now sports a Super Blackhawk dragoon grip frame and wood grips (which I suppose I could sell here). I have a spare original XR3 grip frame and grips in my stash.
If it IS a 7 1/2" bbl, how rare it that?
Not knowing the condition of the bbl and cyl (I suppose I could clean it and look at the LGS, but these guys are pretty 'back-woods' and may break my stones :) ); would you pay the asking price?
Forgive me, but it may take me another five years to decide, so I really don't want to post the LGS info.
What do you all think (really).... ????
J.
Offer the LGS owner less? It's been sitting for 5 years. Cool project. fwiw

Johnnu2

Hunter
WMG.... yes, I have the large frame parts; took them off of one of my OMs when I sent out for custom work.
CHOLO: I do have a pair of wood grips to go with my XR3 frame, so I'm set there. I bought the frame and grips several years ago when I first started watching this gun at the LGS.

One of my concerns besides trying to keep my 'accumulation' small is that here in NYS, (not the city thank God) it is onerous to put additional guns on your carry permit. Each addition has to be signed-off by a judge, and if you are in a more 'liberal' leaning district, not only does it take months, but we all worry about some bureaucrat deciding to get 'more info' or just cause a bit of a hassle to slow you down. Probably thinking to deeply on it and will most likely make the purchase later into the summer.
Thanks for all the inputs and thoughts.... Will be interesting to see if others chime in.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I BOUGHT IT YESTERDAY...here's the rest of the story. When they put the gun back after I looked at it last week, they sorta dumped it back into the mess of guns (instead placing it so it could be seen) AND they put it back upside down resting against a piece of wood that was holding the upper shelf steady. I had to search with the help of the guy who showed it to me last week. We gave up when we couldn't find it; but I couldn't rest so I took a third look until I found it. It took quite a long while of suspense, and other customers joining-in on the search. When it was found, I grabbed it and went to the owner (who sorta recognizes me as a customer) and asked him if he'd take $100 off the tag since I'd been watching the gun sitting there for 5+ years. He said "sure" and immediately marked it down to $399.99 (+ tax of course). Now, the super good news. I knew that the gun had a pristine ratchet and I suspected it had very little use; now, I checked it carefully and noticed NO blueing wear (esp in the usual spots up top of the barrel sides etc). I had brought my bore light even though I knew I was gonna buy it anyway. I also brought my cleaning rod and patches which it turns out, I didn't need because when I looked down the barrel, it was clean and shiny and NO indication of any lead or copper...it looked new; and so did the cylinder (no indication of firing...period). I have to wait for my NYS pistol permit to be amended which can take a month or more...once cleared, I bring the 'ticket' up to the LGS and come home to start converting it back to original condition. p.s. several years ago, I bought the correct XR3 frame and grips from Don F. in anticipation that I would be finally jumping on this 7 1/2" FT (yes, I measured it again).
THAT's MY STORY...
J

Johnnu2

Hunter
YOU DA MAN MIKEY.... I'm going to put a WTB ad in tonite.... if you have one, you're welcome to respond

contender

Ruger Guru
Mike is right. I was thinking that the FT's all had a non -collared BP,, and forgot to double check myself. Yep,, that serial number should have a collared BP. My mistake for thinking w/o double checking.

Last edited:

skeen

Bearcat
Nice snag, can't go wrong for $400 bucks. Personally, I prefer the dragoon grip frame.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Still waiting for my NYS pistol permit amendment to arrive... today is 5 weeks since I mailed it in. Good thing that I'm old and learned PATIENCE..... 'Before and after' pics will eventually be coming (if I'm not to old to lift my camera by then).

J.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Did you request a letter from Ruger yet? Heck,, if so,, you are likely to get their letter before NY allows you to get the gun! :D
I did request, and receive the letter. The Ruger team said that it "was produced in December 1959 in our Southport, Connecticut facility". They further stated that it "is designated as a model BKH-46" (which, of course, we know is incorrect). And it "was shipped to Edward K. Tryon Company in Philadelphia, PA in January, 1960". Detailed pics and measurements to follow when I finally get authorized to pick it up.

J.

contender

Ruger Guru
Interesting.
I tend to believe the factory letter info. All too often,, people change parts,, to include barrels. So,, it's very likely someone switched the barrel.
Still, it's a great deal to find an OM FT .44.

Latest posts