review/range report .22lr GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dingode

Single-Sixer
A review/range report for my .22lr GP100 w/ Vortex Venom 6 moa dot. This is a replacement gun as my first one was deemed unrepairable by Ruger. The only thing I don't like about this replacement is the BC is .007 on 8 of the chambers, .008 on one, and .006 on the remaining chamber. the old gun had a tighter than .005 BC (smallest gauge I had at home).

The new gun came covered in oil that looked to be sucked out of the sump of a grinding machine, it was absolutely filthy oil and Ruger needs to be more mindful of this kind of stuff. After a good cleaning, I can say that it looks to be free of external blemishes, though there are a few sharp edges and burrs on the inside, no big deal. I mounted the Venom (mount made by ph_redhawk, available in this forums classifieds) and headed to the range this morning. I'm really liking the 6 moa dot, it's very easy to pick up quickly. I went with the larger dot due to this gun will be used for falling steel plate matches, so pinpoint precision isn't needed.

Though this gun spits a bit more powder out than the first gun, I'm guessing due to the larger BC gap, it functioned 100%. I'd say the DA pull is smoother and the SA pull is a bit heavier than the original and it has just a hair of creep. Totally acceptable though.

I tried about 8 different kinds of ammo at 25yds. Luckily for me, it really liked the cheap Remmy golden bullets and Fed. Automatch the best. I was very impressed with the groups from these two at 25yds.

I guess the only question I have is do rimfire revolvers always get so dirty on the top strap? In some of the pictures, you can see how dirty it is. Please feel free to comment on anything you see wrong or right in the pictures. Speaking of pictures there are a lot so I'm going to post a link to a google photo album.

https://goo.gl/photos/599UVLFdpgnqq7P69

Mus408

Hunter
Looks to be a great shooting revolver!

As far as being clean when shipped...I would think Ruger would take a bit of care with that being it's the 2nd go a round for the good money you spent. It's not like it was being shipped from China in a container!

As far as getting dirty after shooting....22 is a very dirty firing ammo and it will need a good cleaning after use.