Review of Uncle Mike's Sidekick Ambidextrous Hip Holster

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yawn

Blackhawk
For anyone with a photographic memory, you might recall that I may be moving to California sometime soon. I have been looking into things and hoping that I will be able to secure a Concealed Handgun License when I get there... but I figured it might be a good idea to make other arrangements in case that is not able to happen, since parts of California even have a tough time allowing Law Enforcement to carry guns. Ok, not really, but you get the point! Anyway, I believe wholeheartedly in miracles, but am also a bit of a pragmatist... I know, opposing forces in the same person. I think it keeps me balanced. Ok, back to the topic.

If I cannot obtain my CHL, then I will at least carry loaded while at home and at work (my job would allow it most likely), which is legal in California as I understand it. The problem with this is that if I were to step off my property and onto the sidewalk while carrying loaded, I would instantly be committing a felony. If either work or home were in a school zone(1000 feet from a school), I would be committing at least one more state felony, and then at least one federal felony as well. And if the gun were concealed at all, I would be committing another state felony. I might find myself in a cell with a murderer for either a long time or since California has a stringent 3 strikes law, the rest of my life. None of that sounds appealing (nor very constitutional either, but that discussion is for a different place.) to me! If I were to carry my SR9 around my house and work, in a good/comfortable concealment holster like a Crossbreed Supertuck; knowing myself, I might forget that I was wearing my firearm and that could spell big trouble! So, I figured it was time to go get an over the waistband holster that would more prominently remind me that I need to put "something" away before stepping off my property (and to test my ability to remember I was carrying around my house, before it becomes a lifelong offense). Well, that and the fact that unloaded open carry is both legal and practical outside of most California city limit areas... and I would definitely do so if I were camping/backpacking and such!

So, I went down to one of our many local gun shops. I went to the big shop in town... which was also where I bought my SR9. They had an entire grocery store aisle stocked full of holsters. And get this, they did not carry one "custom" fit, OWB, LE style Kydex holster (which was what I was looking for) for any SR series gun... Though there were tons for other makes and models. I was floored... especially because the clerk told me that I was not the first SR owner asking for one. Part of the problem was that they carried a lot of Uncle Mike's products. We checked the website and Uncle Mike's doesn't make a fit Kydex SR series holster. They did have other Kydex OWB holster manufacturers, but carried nothing for the SR series. I think it is because most people who purchase a SR series gun and decide to holster and carry it, do so inside the waistband and not outside.

I thought about ordering something on-line, but really did not want to spend too much money (or time) either way for a holster I hopefully will not need to use but want to be prepped to use should I need to. So, the clerk showed me the Uncle Mike's Sidekick Ambidextrous Hip Holster. You can view the manufacturer website and description here:

http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/sidekick_ambidextrous_hip_holsters.html

Here is a referrence pic of the holster taken from the weblink above.

ambidextrous_holsters.jpg

It is made of thick Kodra Laminate Nylon. Remember that, it will come into play later in this review. Mine fits any large Semi with a 3 3/4 to 4 1/2 inch barrel. The holster is open toward the muzzle end, which is fine with me as the Kydex holster I was originally looking for would have been as well. The Kodra material is waterproof, and extremely rugged. The holster actually feels like they took a brand new soft case, and cut it out/modified it to be a holster. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that was how they engineered the holster. The thickness seems to come from padding within the Kodra, as well as the thickness of the material itself, and adds to the soft case feel. Really, the holster makes you feel like you are carrying your gun in a holster and have it protectively in a case at the same time. I really like that part of it! My specific holster has a place for an extra mag... which I really liked because if I have to do unloaded open carry in the back country, having the magazine right there will be a huge plus. If you were to hold/point the gun normally (like you were going to shoot it) while the gun is still in the holster, the mag slot sits on top of the slide, though on the outside of the gun slot of the holster. This is good design as the mag slot does not add to the horizontal thickness of the holster and keeps the placement of the mag slot the same for whatever side of your body you decide to wear the holster.

Both the mag slot and the gun slot have retention straps. The mag strap is a thin but sturdy nylon strap that goes over the top of the mag and secures with Velcro. With time, the mag retention strap may be a necessity, but right now, neither retention straps are totally necessary. Both the mag and the gun fit very snug into their respective slots. Actually at first, the gun slot was too snug, but the Kodra has seemed to contour to the specifics of my SR9 a bit already. The draw is smooth and so is the return, and I doubt the Kodra material will ever scratch the finish even after years of use.

The other holsters I was looking at would be ones that you would need to thread a belt loop through. This was actually a drawback for a home/office only holster because sometimes at home I wear athletic shorts with a draw string... no belt. This Uncle Mike's holster has a clip (like the clip from a money clip) that it uses to attached to clothing. I am in fact wearing it right now attached to a pair of drawstring athletic shorts.

As is stated, the holster is ambidextrous. It uses industrial grade type Velcro to allow for ambidexterity with regards to the "plastic", thumb break, retention strap for the gun. A smooth ruler allows you to wedge the Velcro portions of either side of the snap strap into the tightly enclosed Velcro slot on either side of the holster. Once the ruler is removed, the strap is nearly impossible to adjust without the ruler, let alone remove from the slot. This allows the owner to put the thumb break of the retention strap where they need it for either being left handed or right handed as well as to adjust to the length and thickness of the different guns this holster was designed to carry.

The clip that attaches the holster to your clothing can also be moved from one side to the other, and it secures in place by a notch that catches the bottom end of the Velcro slot. It really is very good, solid design. So much so, that it created a feature I missed when purchasing it.

As a right handed shooter, I want the attachment clip in the left side of an OWB holster. As a left handed shooter, I would want the attachment clip on the right side of an OWB holster. But the attachment clip being on the right side of a holster is also the set-up for a right handed IWB holster and vice versa. So, the holster is not only ambidextrous, but multifunctional; as it can be used inside or outside the waistband.

But that brings me to the holsters only real downside so far. It's positives as a wonderfully protective OWB holster becomes its drawbacks as an IWB holster. Remember my comment above about the thickness of the holster, even without my relatively thin full size 9mm in the holster, this holster is thick. It adds a 3 - 4 inch tumor looking bulge to any part of my pants that I try to go IWB in. I tried it in various locations and the bulge makes concealment difficult... but not impossible. This would be a decent IWB holster in cold and rainy weather (especially for protecting the gun from the elements) where big clothes and jackets are to be worn. And, there is no ability to adjust for cant with-in the holster design, so printing may be a concern for those looking to CC.

Having said that one negative, for a price around 20 some dollars or so out the door... cheaper at Cabelas... I have to give this holster a pretty high rating.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
I own a couple of them for both my SR's and SIG's.
I have never used them IWB, so that sound good.

Easy to attach to my belt and go...

Thanks Yawn for your report.

Lateck,

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
i own one and its a great value at that price. It is easy to put on and take off quickly, and it holds a spare mag which is a bonus. It is not so great holding my heavy p89...
but works great with my lighter p95, so should do well with the sr9 too.

CLee0507

Bearcat
+1

I have owned one for 5+ years. I use it clipped on the belt while hunting, camping, etc. It is pretty good although I have never tried IWB, I have a Supertuck for that. I originally bought it for my P90 which was a little tight but have used it with a Glock 19, XD 40 and a Sig P229. I really like the magazine holder works great at the range.

jslshooter

Bearcat
Uncle Mike's holsters are good,reliable,affordable and universal holsters but they are what they are. If you want something dedicated for the SR9 without breaking the bank,look at Fobus holsters. They make kydex paddle and belt slide holsters for the P series and SR series pistols and are more concealable than the nylon holsters. The best part is,you won't find one over $30 and any gun store can order them no problem.

Yawn

Blackhawk
What does "they are what they are"? Universal? I was originally looking for a dedicated kydex OWB holster, but the review is about my being pleaseantly surprised with the Uncle Mikes universal OWB holster. To be honest, for OWB, I now think universal is the way to go if someone has or will have many of the same size guns. I would go Kydex for IWB, but that was not what I bought this for.

And speaking of IWB, I wouldn't think much of the holstered I reviewed for it either. But the reversable clip does make it possible and I noticed that it is a selling feature on the website and the box... but for any looking at it to be used even sometimes as such, it is super feasible unless worn with baggy/heavy clothing.

Mike J

Hunter
I have owned 2 Uncle Mikes holsters. One was the same model you have. I don't really like it but it can work. The other is a plastic paddle holster. I don't really like either of them.
I have some OWB Don Hume holsters that I bought for concealed carry that are much more comfortable, keep the gun high & tight, etc.

Yawn

Blackhawk
What are the biggest differences that you found between the Uncle Mike's and the Don Hume holsters for OWB?

Mike J

Hunter
The Don Hume holsters are leather belt slide holsters. They hold the gun high & tight against your body. They are much better for concealment & stay where they are put. The gun doesn't flop around at all.

These are the holsters I have been using. They are more expensive than the Uncle Mikes but much better for my purposes.
http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/H721OT/Don-Hume-Open-Top-Belt-Holster-H721-OT.html I have one of these for both my Ruger P944 & my XD-40
http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/JIT/Hume-JIT-Slide-Belt-Holster.html
This is what I use with my little Kel Tec. Don Hume holsters aren't high end they are basically just an off the rack holster but I believe they offer decent value for the money. You might notice both of these holsters don't have retention. I don't worry about it too much when I concealed carry but I am thinking about getting something with retention for open carrying. About the only time I open carry is if I go to the woods though & my .357 usually gets the nod for that.

Mike J

Hunter
Yawn I just wanted to add that I don't think Don Hume is the end all be all holster maker. There are many good ones on the market. The Hume holsters are just what I have found that works for me at a reasonable price point.

Edited to add: Yawn I owe you an apology. You posted a review of a product you had purchased. I was freer with my opinion than I should have been. The Uncle Mikes holster will probably be fine for what you want it to do. I should have thought before I posted the first time. I was taught better than to answer questions that were not asked. I just open my mouth (or post) without thinking sometimes. I did not really stop & think about this until after you posted your question.

Yawn

Blackhawk
Mike, first off you seem to have good character about you... a trait lacking in many these days. From the start of your comments, they did not seem to have an attitude of condecension or demeaning-ness.

I took a look at the Hume holsters... very very nice. But, I would say somewhat on opposite ends of the OWB holster spectrum the my Uncle Mike's. In function, mostly because of how the gun attaches to clothing, but probably also intended use, among other reasons. The Don Hume holsters the you linked look like OWB style holsters designed to conceal with concealment in mind. I think you even mentioned their concealability. I don't think the Uncle Mike's holster that I reveiwed was really meant for that purpose, which I think I make mention of. I think a closer comparison would be a full LE style Kydex OWB holster.

As for wiggling and what not, I feel like my uncle mike's keeps it all pretty high and tight during normal life. If I broke into a jog, that opinion would probably change, but again I think the holsters are different beasts a bit. Hope that clears it up and thanks for your comments!