Review: Custom Shop 9mm GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

protoolman

Service-Sixer
You're not the only one who think it looks like hammered dog stuff but I was too polite to say so. Rims are made for revolvers so why compromise on a rimless design with it's shortcomings etc.? The short cylinder looks like the long action rifles some companies made to take .223 so the bolt moved 3/4" before it picked up the short shell. Just unecessary size weight etc. The taurus j frame in 9mm or Sp-101 makes a bit more sense. Carry on though no need for us to rain on your parade if you have a need for a niche piece! I'm sure they are built for something maybe you can educate us on what?

JStacy

Blackhawk
I used to shoot PPC many years ago and there were several custom gunsmiths that would make you a PPC revolver any way you want it. I saw several S&W's set up to shoot wadcutters and their cylinders were cut s little over a loaded HBWC. The cylinder was lighter, making double action stroke lighter and the short jump from the cylinder to the extended barrel shank improved accuracy.
I think the gun looks interesting with a full length cylinder and a little ugly with the abbreviated cylinder. There is also no way you can load a revolver as fast with a speed loader as you can with a moon clip. Tilt the gun down and drop the moon clip in close up and shoot.
Jack O Conner said "only accurate rifles interest me " many also apply that saying to a pistol/revolver. If it shoots good and you win with it you will soon get over the unusual look of the gun ! Just my humble opinion other can differ it is their right !

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
To call me impolite for voicing the only opinion of dissent is in itself impolite, sorry. I'm happy to see that some others have finally admitted that this gun, in their eyes has some visual issues. Additionally, I really don't care what Guru likes or dislikes outside of revolvers. To refresh his opinions: "Again, we get it, YOU don't like it. That's perfectly ok with those of us who DO like it. We are all allowed our own opinions & likes & dislikes.
I like Chevy over all other makes of autos.
I like steak over tofu.
I like Brunettes over Blonds, over redheads, over weird hair colors.
I like Ruger handguns over most others.
I like Over & Under shotguns vs Side-by-Sides.
I like to collect & keep safe queen guns as well as shooters vs having to shoot all my guns.
I like steel guns over plastic ones." Well I like women over men, I like pepperoni over cheese...who cares? We're talking about guns here. Are we obliged to stroke everyone who posts about a new gun, or just give our honest impression? I'm sorry, this gun was a mistake in the styling department,

mikeAZ

Single-Sixer
"gamer gun"??, Ha, I'm a Super Senior "gamer" .. I had the S&W 929. You are not going to shoot the 929 in competition without Some much needed improvements, (springs, bunch of TK moon clips, polishing internals, maybe a hammer up grade, etc).... She ain't going to cut it right out of the box. Nether can be found at this time. I've even tried to find a used Ruger but to no avail... All disappeared?.. I've already bought the Ruger Super gp100 spring kit, now all I have to do is to find one, new or used... Any help?... mike

So . . . after two years, what has been anyone's experience with this model? I don't follow the "games" so I don't pick up on the latest gun gossip.

I stick with my previous comments, allowing as how it may be very cool for those who appreciate it, while appearing somewhat "funny" to an old single-action guy like me. I certainly don't begrudge anyone their choice of toys. ;)

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, Ruger factory sponsored shooters have won some competitions with their Custom Shop Super GP-100's in 9mm.
Us common folks (Senior category) will never be "top level" match winners too easily. BUT,, we CAN be competitive and most importantly have FUN shooting a good revolver. Besides,, using a Ruger against the smiff's can raise a few eyebrows. I'll let y'all know more how one performs after several matches with mine have passed.