REVHIGH's ONE INCH CHALLENGE - Make some easy $$$ !

Help Support Ruger Forum:

daddyflea

Bearcat
revhigh said:
Sonnytoo said:
Well, Rev, I'm glad we don't have an agreement, but I had three targets this a.m. which had 4 of 5 within ~0.8", and the "flyer" making the groups 1.3".

Those damn flyers ...... :D Too bad they count in the group size ... :D

REV

Since a 45 is almost 1/2" wide that should have been one ragged hole which is excellent for me.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Excellent for anybody I'd say !

Good shooting !

Hope they're all that good.

For me ... I have so many great shooting 45's (like all of them), it's gonna take quite a bit to make me buy another one of ANY brand. I've kinda slowed down on my gun buying lately. I'm forcing myself to sell a gun to be able to buy a gun these days, and I don't have many I want to give up. Problem is ... ALL my guns are shooters, and I have so many that I can't shoot them all as it is.

My main two desires right now are a 10MM 1911 and a 9MM 1911. Gonna have to get rid of my Glock 20 and maybe a Sig or two to finance my 9 and 10 MM 1911's.

REV

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
even if i lived close to ya, i know i couldnt do it...

but you know what, i am going to try it at my local range...
(i typically dont take bets for money but rather just to prove i can do it...)

but this one, five shots huh.., is way out of my ability...

you sure i couldnt use my .22 at 15 feet instead? hahahahahhaha!

i tip my hat to those who can make it...

revhigh

Hawkeye
Tmyoungjr said:
This thread is great. I'll get to practicing and then take the 5hr trip your way Rev. I should be ready for this sometime in 2025!

Looking forward to it !!

REV

HerrMesser

Single-Sixer
Back 50 years ago when I was new in the Air Police I did the 1" just about every time got to go to indoor range at 16 yds. Time if you don't keep at it you lose. The only major mistake was saying no to the base pistol team. The outdoor range was 25 yds.

Rad

DGW1949

Hunter
revhigh said:
101 Views and still no takers !!!!

Looks like I owe you $5.00 . Took my SAA-.45 out back, fired some warm-up shots, got to feeling perty-cocky and decided to set up some real targets. Thing is though, even though 3 out of the 5 groups that I shot had all of their holes touching....the big/raggedy hole left by 5 of them .45 SWC's is just too dern fat to cover with a 1" diameter circle.....can't do it.....and the 2 groups that didn't have all the holes touching aint even close.

PM me with your address and I'll get your $5 sent out.

DGW

revhigh

Hawkeye
Nah DGW ... I could never take money from such an honest man.

Have a few beers on me !

REV

pulaski

Single-Sixer
Been following this with much interest .
Wouldn't try this on a bet , in 35 yrs. of pistol shooting I can count the number of times I've achived this mark on one hand . (still got a finger or two left over) .
I'm not saying it can't be done rather just not on demand .
Great post .
Steve

cruzerlou

Buckeye
revhigh,
I don't live closet enough to make it official s0 there won't be any money involved it will be just for fun, but i'm gonna go out today rad try this with several handgus just to see how I do .I haven't shot bullseye in years I shoot em off the bags just ti see where their hitting and to ajust the sights if needed ,but I'm gonna try .I spend all my range time combat shooting ,as manny rounds C.O.M. as fast as I can but this sounds like fun .I promice I won't cheat andI'll post my targets for all to see .I'm better than aravge at combat shooting ,but I haven't shot off hand for groups in years so we'll see how bad I do .
Wish me luck,
Lou

revhigh

Hawkeye
Good luck Lou !!

I'll tell you ... I shoot a lot of rounds, although I haven't shot much recently. I typically shoot two or three hundred rounds each weekend with a few different guns. and my average group is probably about as big as a billiard ball at 50 feet. I can count on two hands how many times I've shot a 5 shot one inch group. I've probably shot 1,000 FOUR shot one inch groups (who hasn't :D), but you add in the 5th shot and it's not a one inch group anymore. I think a lot of people see three shots close together, and just consider that a one inch group (conveniently ignoring the OTHER shots on the target). I shoot with a lot of guys that are friends as well and there's one guy who's really a great shot, he just has great eyes, and I've only seen him do it a few times. He's a much better shot than I am, and he's only been shooting for a few years. My eyesight is starting to falter, so I expect I won't be seeing many more one inch groups in the future. :D

Again, great luck and let's see your targets.

People have NO IDEA how silly they sound to a target shooter when they make statements like ... 'went to the range for the first time and my brand new SR9 shot into one inch groups all day long at 25 yards if I did my part'. Or the infamous 'one ragged hole' statements. A lot of people shoot at 7 yards with a 45 so the 'one ragged hole' statement is easily believable in that case. I've yet to see anybody shoot 'one ragged hole' at 15 yards with ANY GUN and then post the pics here, and I've never had ONE taker yet for my challenge .... not ONE PEEP out of the posters that made the comments above. I guess it's a lot easier to SAY that you shoot into one ragged hole, or into one inch groups, than it is to actually back up those statements with documented performance.

By the way, if anybody wants to take this challenge, there are several people here on the forum who have volunteered to host the REVHIGH ONE INCH CHALLENGE across the country, so all you internet marksmen can get in on this great deal even if you're not close to where I live. I even offered to DRIVE to THEIR range if it was within reasonable driving distance. I figured the worst that can happen is to meet a few new people, do some shooting, and have something to eat and a few beers with some other forum members.

So bring it on !! MAKE ME PAY !!!! :D

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
daddyflea said:
Assuming (Makes an A$$ out of you and me) that the target is 1" and a 45 round is approximately 1/2" then the outside to outside spread of the shots could be 2" which I will take that challenge.

Sound good?

Daddyflea .... you get a 1.45 inch circle .... which means (as ArmedinAZ mentioned) you take the 5 shots .... measure from OUTSIDE to OUTSIDE, and subract your caliber ..... so ..... outside to outside MINUS .45 equals your groupsize.

Anybody in TX that could host this for Daddyflea ???

REV

daddyflea

Bearcat
daddyflea said:
Assuming (Makes an A$$ out of you and me) that the target is 1" and a 45 round is approximately 1/2" then the outside to outside spread of the shots could be 2" which I will take that challenge.

Sound good?

Daddyflea .... you get a 1.45 inch circle .... which means (as ArmedinAZ mentioned) you take the 5 shots .... measure from OUTSIDE to OUTSIDE, and subract your caliber ..... so ..... outside to outside MINUS .45 equals your groupsize.

Anybody in TX that could host this for Daddyflea ???

REV

Wait a minute per my calculations 1" + 1/2" + 1/2" = 2" I never agreed to that center to center business. I also see all these guys talking about off hand. I need a rest to even think about shooting that good. I talked about one ragged hole which to me means all the rounds were touching each other.

This is like shooting out the red star at the fair. Certainly looks easy until you try it. I am like REV I don't see it happening and certainly not without a rest.

Of course by accident anything is possible. I shot my Ruger with Jacketed rounds the other day with a rest and was lucky to get 4 or 5 inches. I am loading some more lead rounds. As soon as I get these cast and loaded I will have to see what I get. My first time I only shot at 20yds. What is the going distance for this thing?

revhigh

Hawkeye
daddyflea said:
Wait a minute per my calculations 1" + 1/2" + 1/2" = 2" I never agreed to that center to center business.

No worries DF. The original challenge was for a 1 inch circle, then it was expanded to be with the measurement described, which for a 45 would be INSIDE a 1.45 inch circle. Center to center is typically how handgun groups are measured from what everybody says.

The challenge was ALWAYS offhand with no optics. :D

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
daddyflea said:
I am like REV I don't see it happening and certainly not without a rest.

Right !!

If you read the thread from the beginning (which I just did AGAIN :D) ... it's quite entertaining and takes about 5 minutes, you'd catch up with the whole gist of the challenge, and probably have a few laughs.

REV

cruzerlou

Buckeye
Hey Rev,
I'm gonna have to put my shoot off for at least one day.Now that I'm walking again My left knee is killin me .I guess puting weight no it again has it swolen up as big as a canalope ,so I'm gonna stay off of it for a day or two and then I'LL go out and enbaress myself .
I'm gonna do 7 handguns as follows,
1,Taurus M-82 4"bull bbl .38 spl
2,Walther PPS 9 MM
3,Ruger P-95 9 MM
4, glock G-22 .40 S&W
5,Kimber custom T.L.E.II .45 ACP
6,S&W 6" M-29 .44mag
7,Ruger 7 1/2 SBH .44 mag
Thats 7 chancse to display my bullseye nonshooting skills LOL
Lou

revhigh

Hawkeye
I don't give you much hope until you get to #5 Lou, hope you're quickly on the mend !! :D

REV

daddyflea

Bearcat
OK REV although this proves very little and I know the picture is crappy and there are taped up holes, here is a picture of a group I shot today. I believe there is 6 holes in the group. This is what I call one ragged hole and this does prove the Ruger is an excellent pistol. This was shot from a measured 24yds and I was braced off the side of a Tree. I cast some lead round nose bullets that this thing likes but even though this is a fantastic group for me, I am guessing this is a shade over 2". I also had to hand pick my Rounds. These rounds were over sized and the pistol had no malfunctions but did stop several times before completely going into battery. Looks like I am going to be forced to throw this mold away. The Rounds are just too large even after I run them through the Sizer. To make these shoot I would have to seat them way too short. I got almost 20 years out of it though. My Son is holding a 45 round for comparison.

051811.jpg

revhigh

Hawkeye
Good shooting DF !

What's up with all the masking tape over the other holes ? :D

Flyers are a beeeeeotch !!! :D

REV

Latest posts