Rev'd - Has anyone shot a mini 14 tactical?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roninmd

Bearcat
Have looking at the mini 14 tacticle, 16 1/8" bbl, black. Unfortunately I have not been able to actually hold on yet.

#5847, NOT with ATI collapsible stock

Has anyone seen, held or shot one yet? What is your opinions on it?

Thanks,

RonInMD

slippingaway

Blackhawk
There are at least two different "tactical" minis that I know of. I have the one with the ATI folding stock. I really like it, the stock is high quality and the gun shoots great. The only part I don't like about the stock is that the top piece that goes over the barrel doesn't just clip onto the barrel like the other minis, it screws to the lower part of the stock. It just makes it a little tougher to disassemble for cleaning.

I also took the short pieces of rail off of the sides of the stock, the gun comes with some pieces that snap in to cover the holes that are left behind.

For the money, it's a great gun. I love mine.

roninmd

Bearcat
actually I should have been more specific. The one I've been drooling over is the #5847, black - does NOT have the ATI stock.

Is your tactical heavy? Unbalanced?

Thanks

roninmd

Bearcat
Silent Sam":3vz12b2v said:
I have an NRA mini. Does a short barrel and black stock = 'tactical'? ;)

I would say "maybe' due to the 16 1/8" bbl, but it doesn't have the flash hider attached like the one I've been looking at.

44thumper

Bearcat
I have the tactical mini 14. It has the black ruger all weather stock, 16 1/8" barrel with ruger flash suppresor. I love the balance and compactness of this gun. I have not shot it much but it is very accurate compared to the older mini's I have sot in the past. I think the sort heavyer contoured barrel makes a big difference. For self defence,plinking or just totin in the woods its great.Factory 20 rnd mags work great and do not affect handling.

felix cortinas

Bearcat
I got a new mini 14 Tactical with flash suppressor and regular stock, I love it, feels like a small M-14, I had a red dot on it, took it off cause I love the standard sights it comes with. it feels good, looks good, could be a great shooter with a scope, but I prefer it the way it is. it stays by my bed, rides in my pickup in the pasture, get one if you can. !! I paid $600 for mine brand new in October.

vol423

Bearcat
I have one that I got free in a dealer promotion. I wouldn't have bought it, but now that I transferred it to my collection I really like it. It is short and handy and very accurate compared to my older stainless Mini. I have a 4X scope on it and it has taken a few varmints and one deer. It rides in my ATV boot when I travel on the farm.

zebrajeb

Bearcat
roninmd":fexuahqi said:
Have looking at the mini 14 tacticle, 16 1/8" bbl, black. Unfortunately I have not been able to actually hold on yet.

#5847, NOT with ATI collapsible stock

Fired about 70 rounds through my new one yesterday at the range. It is much more accurate right out of the box than the old Mini-14s. My best groups were about 3 inches at 100 yards. However, I was shooting some reloads or mine as well as Russian Brown Bear ammo. I think that with decent loads and better sights it may do better. (FYI - I put a XS Ghost ring rear sight and replaced the factory peep.) It seemed to like the 62 gr Brown Bear loads better than my 55 gr. reloads but I need to do some more testing.

Much more accurate than my older Mini-14. Had an older Mini-14 for many years but never could get it to shoot more than about 5-6 inches at 100 yards. (I use to joke it wouldn't shoot well enough to hit the barn door if you were locked inside but I kept trying!)

John

k8vf

Bearcat
:?:
I bought a tactical normal looking mini 14. in Feb. 581 series

I have shot it with peep, a 2.5 power shotgun scope, and a 3-9 power rifle scope.

All shooting at 50 yards.

I have put buffers on it, and shimmed the stock to limit movement.

My best groups are 5 touching at 50 yards. 2 times in 400 rounds.

But next group will be a 3 1/2 inch circle.

Unpredictable in my estimation and as much as I love the gun, it is not accurate in my opinion.
I am sorry, because I had to hunt to FIND the gun.

I bought it for coyotes, and it will kill coyotes, but I dont think I would shoot at one at 100 yards as it stands.

RUGER, I LOVE THE GUN, I WANT TO USE THE GUN. WHAT CAN I DO TO SHOOT 2" GROUPS AT 100 YARDS?

I will mount a strut on it(SOCOM from Accu-strut), and might have to cryo it. (But WHY, really, why?)

I really like its handling, looks, and reliability. But when I can shoot 4 30-30 rounds in a quarter sized group at 50 yards from a model 94, I should be doing at least as well with my Ruger.

BTW:
Blackhawk, mini 14,MkII, 3 10-22's, P95, GP100. So I have been a Ruger fan for years.

fossils and guns

Single-Sixer
roninmd":4xxxvi91 said:

NOT with ATI collapsible stock

RonInMD

I've owned both models but sold the ATI with the folding stock. I just don't like all those rails, and, mine didn't have the flash suppressor so it annoyed me when they came out with it on this year's models.
I kept the model you're taking about and I absolutely love it. It's light, and accurate out to 180 yards or better with iron sites and the barrel is so much better than the older school models.

roninmd

Bearcat
Thanks for the info.

I was able to get a new one for $628.00 out the door. Hope to shoot it this weekend. I like the way handles, nice carbine.

I already know that it's not a bench rest rifle so 2"-3" moa is fine with me.

Ron

k8vf

Bearcat
I put a limbsaver barrel deresonator on mine, 1 inch from gas block with rounded portion forward and it cut group sizes in half, at least cold it did.

I haven't shot it hot yet to compare.

Will update when I do.
K8VF

Latest posts