Returning 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lance0812

Bearcat
When I went to pick up my new Ruger 10/22 from Cabela's, the girl who brought it from the stockroom was apologetic. Seems the gun I'd bought on Monday had been accidentally put on display but they had this other one and all that was necessary was to change the serial number on the NICS paperwork.
This should have raised a red flag, for on Monday they'd had one on display and eight in stock, according to the clerk who sold it to me. In hindsight, I think I now know why a switch was made...
So I picked up the Ruger 10/22 Tapco on Friday and my son and I intended to have some range fun with it today, but...
Ruger didn't see fit to have a new owner's manual printed for this weapon, so there is not one word about care, maintainance or takedown as regards the very different stock. Nor, obviously, are there any instructions regarding changing out the two shoulder pieces that are included.
Strike One.
But I recalled there were some papers I'd not taken from the box and thought one or more of these might be a supplement from Tapco. So this morning I checked it out - the gun still in the trunk of my car - and did not find anything regarding the stock. But I did find a Ruger repair invoice.
Seems at one point this particular rifle had some problems with the forestock and the trigger, both of which had been replaced and the gun test fired - according to the repair invoice..
Strike Two.
So after our range outing - where we fired only pistols - my son and I took the rifle back to Cabela's. Now, I've bought several firearms from Cabela's over the past year and they've (almost) always been good people with whom to deal.
But from the first the only people who seemed concerned about my having bought what was essentially a used gun were the two gentlemen at the front door - the ones who put those impervious stickers on returning merchandise.
The man who claimed to be the gun department manager first tried to snow me by disregarding all I told him except the test firing. (He didn't even ask to see the repair invoice.) He told me Ruger test fires all new guns - as if that settled the problem and I could take my paranoid @ss out of his store.
Strike Three.
So finally he asks what I want. I tell him if he wishes to sell it to me for the price of a used gun, I'll keep it. He goes into a long lecture (which may have been true) about how it could not possibly have belonged to anyone other than the store and then me.
Whether it had been previously sold or not did not matter to me. There was a matter of principle involved and in my mind the gun would always be used.
The manager, however, was determined to be inflexible and the upshot was that I returned the gun for a full refund.
The whole episode causes me to wonder what they will now do: will they sell the gun as used and take the loss (as they could have done with me)? (The gun is now certainly used, because I put a hundred rounds through it on Friday right after picking it up.)
Or will they again put it back in stock and sell it as new?
My advice to anyone here who buys from the Cabela's in Hazelwood, MO: If you're looking for a Ruger 10/22 with Tapco stock, better buy elsewhere or wait a few months.

ddd482

Single-Sixer
i would hope they would not sell it as new again, and i would probably be upset finding that repair invoice in the box of a gun sold as new also- it may very well have been new, but who knows?

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
If there had been a problem with the gun at the factory, it would have been repaired as part of the manufacturing process. The paperwork would have been internal only.

Sounds like Cabella's is trying to buy used and sell it as new. A real no-no (and illegal, I'll bet) . :x

I would not be happy either. Somebody up the line at Cabellas needs to know that this wasn't right....

Regardless of what the store actually did or did not do before you purchased the rifle, the manager should have snatched that rifle up and made it right with out argument... but as I've noticed, some people just don't listen.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
I'd be calling Cabela's HQ and talking to someone with some power.... you may even get a gift card out of this fiasco.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I have always been pretty happy with Cabelas and will continue to shop there...HOWEVER.... I had an issue with some clothing..... did everything I could to talk to someone about the issue... and could never get them. This had to do with their 7-pocket hiker shorts and slacks which used to be made in South Africa with a nice coarse type fabric. The items are now made in the far East somewhere out of a flimsier material. I much prefered the original, but have been unable to express this to any decision-maker at Cabelas. Frustrating.