Retrofitting a 77 stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

I took a bad fall deer hunting, while I was on a rocky knob, and the stock on my beloved tang safety 77 in 30-06 ended up looking like it came out 2nd best in a fight with a chain saw. Deep gouges, long scratches, cracked the recoil pad base. Remarkably the metal came out unmarked. I found a very nice takeoff stock from a long action tang safety 77, but it's for the ultralight model. I think all I need to do is relieve the barrel channel and it will fit. Has anyone ever done this and what other issues did you have?

Hi I am pretty sure it is just the barrel chanel that would be different I havent seen an ultralight stock in a while and do not know how much wood there is to work with also make sure the stock is for a tang saftey not a mark 2
GRAMPS

fyimo

Bearcat
I'm also not sure if there is enough wood to work with but I think there would be. I got luckey last month on the GB auction site and picked up a mint LA tang safety Ruger Model 77 stock for $85 so I traded out the synthetic stock that was on it and I'm a happy camper.

RJ556

Buckeye
Years ago I installed an M77 action with a Shilen #4 (if I remember correctly) barrel on it. That barrel was about .75 at the muzzle ( 20" length) I had to open the barrel chanel up quite a bit. It looked great when finished. So I am sure a sporter weight barrel will be no problem. The UL stocks have such svelte lines and feel so good to hold.

Latest posts