Results of my first hard cast bullet shoot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldcrab

Bearcat
Thanks to all of you who gave me great advice on how to progress forward on incorporating cast lead bullets in with jacketed in my GP100 357 mag 6" revolver!
Loaded up 25 rounds of 158 grain laser cast SWC's, BHN 12, to somewhere between 1100 and 1150 muzzle velocity and went to the range today. Used 8.0 grains of Accurate #5.
Results were great for my maiden-voyage…
- very accurate load
- very minor work to clean the gun to pristine shape after the session
- tremendous fun and cost-savings compared to jacketed bullets

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all you shared last week to get me thinking/absorbing what I needed as a rookie to get started!

Merry Christmas and God Bless!

Oldcrab

dannyd

Hunter
12 BHN is a normal cast revolver bullet; hard cast is 18 BHN and higher. But congratulations they are fun to shoot. Next you will need to try some different ones. :)

E3504D63-86DB-4DCE-B1AF-6AADD26F8F70.jpeg

oldcrab

Bearcat
dannyd,
Once you get up to that 18 BHN hardness, is that where the velocity can be pushed to the range of 1300 to 1600 fps?

Rclark

Hunter
Yes.... you try to match hardness to pressure. 12-15 BHN is good for most loads (I've shot up to 1300fps in my .44 Magnum for example with no real leading). Personally, I keep my .357 158gr SWC loads under 1200fps, actually more like 1100fps (sub sonic) which is enough for anything I will use the .357 on. Need more than that I move up in caliber.

dannyd

Hunter
dannyd,
Once you get up to that 18 BHN hardness, is that where the velocity can be pushed to the range of 1300 to 1600 fps?
Yes, if your mixture is right you can do this without a gas checked bullet over 1600 I would use a gas check on the bullet. if you cast your own bullets the harder the bullet the more expensive they become because takes more tin and other properties to make them harder. These are about 12 BHN.

85E10114-1879-4A1E-93DC-D8CE715ABD8E.jpeg

What I do to help with leading is spray moly bullet coat. I get a clean barrel and give it several coats with a patch and lightly spray the bullets. The moly fills the microscopic imperfections in the bore. Once lead finds a spot every bullet after leaves more. I also lap my bores with a tight patch and metal polish. A rough bore grabs lead. Get a Super Redhawk so you can hurl some grownup loads!!!

Attachments

• IMAG0476.jpg
    IMAG0476.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMAG0475.jpg
    IMAG0475.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
dannyd,
Yeah I'm pushing 300gr @ 1450 & 330 @ 1350. Doing the water drop hardens them right up. I personally wouldn't push anything past 1,200fps without a gas check. I'm usually running longer barrels with max loads so more opportunity for the base to melt. A 2-4" barrel with mild loads shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
"Once you get up to that 18 BHN hardness, is that where the velocity can be pushed to the range of 1300 to 1600 fps?"

Just remember,, cast bullets are not jacketed. They do not perform like jacketed.

A harder bullet can be pushed faster. But to get a harder bullet,, as noted,, some tin can be added. But there is a point that additional tin is not helpful. Water quenching helps harden bullets, as does adding other stuff to the alloy. But again, there is a limit to what a cast bullet can be made to do.

I find it amusing when people think velocity is the key to things, and want to max load stuff.
Accuracy is #1. Followed by the performance of a selected bullet doing what it should should be the goal.
If paper punching is the goal, then accuracy is king, no matter the velocity. The DISTANCE added to the paper punching may necessitate the need for more speed.
Self defense comes down to what you desire a bullet to do. Are you trying to stop a Mack truck, or just a skinny thug? And what is beyond your target becomes a liability concern. All things to consider when building a SD load. (Yes,, many people say to not use reloads for SD,, but if that's what you have in your gun when confronted with a life or death situation you use what you've got!)
Hunting. This is where cast bullets can really shine.
But there are many, many variables to consider. First you match the caliber to the intended game. Then you match the bullet design to the game. Throw in the max range (distance) you'll attempt a shot. Add the fact that animals often do not present a perfect shot angle & presentation for shot placement.
Accuracy is king here, followed by bullet placement of the properly designed type. And it needs enough velocity to perform in the animals body to make a quick, humane kill.

Obviously a whitetail deer is a much different target over a moose or a grizzly bear, or heck, a cape buffalo. Each one requires a different approach to a clean kill.

My point to all this is that velocity is but ONE of several factors you need to consider when assembling ammo.

And for the OP,, do a search here on this Forum for a thread posted by "sixshot." His 2021 African safari. Handguns only, cast bullets, and their performance at it's finest. When you use a .45 Colt, and kill a cape buffalo (as well as a few other tough critters) quicker & better than many with high powered rifles,, you can understand why the combination of things must be fully considered. It's NOT just velocity. But cast can & does perform IF,, IF,, you do it right.

I was shooting Silhouette back in the 80's & 90's. Not only do you have to hit it you have to knock it down. That's the beauty of a switch barrel like the Dan Wesson. Bullets moving too fast to stabilize just order a faster twist barrel. Different cuts of rifling as well. Douglas is my go to for cast bullets. They have a cut like Marlin microgroove. Pac Nor makes one that lays 300grn fmj moving 1,650fps into 3/4" @ 200yds!!! The loads involved neck turning virgin brass and tweezers for the last few grains of powder. Definitely not what you can expect from WWB and a factory gun. This is the Pac Nor barrel and my 10-40 off my EBR. Once I got it dialed with those 300gr I worked out for the 143'6". Drop at 1,000yds. Everyone now days thinks that anything past point blank is impossible. Look at the rear sights on any of the old Buffalo guns. They were dropping like that as well. I had it way easier than they ever did.

Attachments

• IMAG0421.jpg
    IMAG0421.jpg
    665.2 KB · Views: 71