restoring my old farm house

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
2 years of work so far.going to be a man cave shooting range.it is about 300 feet from my house by my shooting deck.
here's were i'm at as of today.Pictures are post from another site i'm on.
I rented this house for 35 years and the guy built all these crooked add ons and cut big holes in the kitchen walls

went from this to here as of today.back all cut off to original size.now the side and front to go.

still have all this to remove yet and build a new front porch with a metal roof too.

everything that guy built was crooked to big and had a flat roof that leaked. I have more to take off then to leave. cant wait to see it off. :? and 28 more pieces of tin to cut and put down on the back roof after some repairs on the wood. :?

Its getting smaller.

Been working a few hrs a day for 2 weeks and things are looking better. Had to get the electric inspected first cash out $80 . It passed and there coming this week to hook me back up. stripped the living room.got a window from the basement that was from the kitchen that went in the living room perfectly,they were the same at 1 time. and I took the other window from a room i took off. So now i have windows and doors. have to take out the sliding door and close in the wall on the side then i can put in the kitchen counters + cupboards i have been saving in my garage for years. the upstairs just needs some paint.It has pink in 1 room.

I took my dog max for the first time in the house and he hates the steps ,but when he got up there and saw he could look rite out the windows he fell in love.He ran from window to window looking out and barking. He got 4 chew sticks barried outside already.He laid by the window and watches over them like a king.

You may think i am crazy but the view and the quietness up there is so calming and not a house in site in any direction .

BIG DIFFERENCE

found out most guys like to shoot but don't like to work,so it's been slow. worked myself into the ground to get it closed up for winter but its there for now. 2 months of 99% alone to get here.

started again this August.
at it again,only have the wife and dog for help.all my shooting buddys are lost !!

well the basement walls are patched and pardged outside,still a bit wet from doing it yesterday but i can move on to the front base board then the porch wood is all waiting to go. But i'm about to pass out. I only do 4 to 6 hrs at a time and not every day.But 61 is older then i thought it was,I KNOW THAT!!
1200lbs of cancrete we used a mortor bag and filled every crack,hole first.. 1 spot took 2 bags till it came out in 3 different cracks full.

this side in the back was bad. we did it up nice for what we had to work with.

still at it...Have to back fill up to the second board.Have the decking boards still to clean . 10 hours so far on the deck.still using free scrap lumber.This came from a guy that replaces old or small decks for a living.I take his scraps and use them and if all goes OK i will be able to filp people off with my right finger again some day ,

Going slow but getting there.I got the materials gathered up for a 10'x13 tin roof to match the house.My pile of wood is getting smaller fast.
here's were i'm at today.

now to get this carried over ,cleaned and put down. Next week :?

before

I am looking for a 12" round kitchen light figture to replace that dirty think hanging there.You get a sun tan setting under it and the rest of the room is dark. ANYONE GOT A OLD 1 LAYING AROUND ?? something like in picture 4 in the living room.

pruger45

Blackhawk
Should keep you out of trouble for awhile! I see a lot of progress though. That looks like Pennsylvania to me!

coach

Hunter
You're making my muscles sore and my joints ache. ;)
At your age, I mean my age, I'm not sure I could start a project like that.
Keep up the good work.

You might well be crazy, but this looks like a pretty sensible project to me! Very "constructive:" bringin' old houses back to life and use.

I can't think of anything more sane in a world of crazy....good on ya!

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
this was my dad's farm he bought it in 1930.he divorced and married my mom and i came along in 1955.mom left in 1964 and took me. I ran away and came back here with him. we had 12 cows a horse 2 pony's a donkey pigs chickens .sept 1966 he was 66 ,I was out milking the cow ,dad was making dinner.I found him dead at the sink pealing potatoes.I got scared and ran to the house i live in now were my 1/2 sister lived.I was 11.at 18 i got married moved back for 3 years then bought this house from her in 1977 and rented that house to a guy my dad knew for 22 years.every member of my family has lived in this house at 1 time or another before or after the 22 year guy.Except my new great grand son John 4. It was bad and at 61 with a bad back and every rib on my right side broke at least once,twice some 3 times front+back things looked bad.but i could not take it down.and with no income since 2000 except buying and selling guns,cars and all kinds of junk i am about broke.
I still had my backhoe skidloader and 4x4 tractor from my demo co.and wood, windows and building stuff i saved over the years from taking down houses for the state pendot when they widen roads,it set empty for 3 years,i would go up there and set and think of all the things that went on in that house i had to fix it.No 1 else but my wife agreed and i get no help from my son daughter or 4 grandkids.
they haven't even come check it out.and they live in houses i own on the same 20 acrs this house is on.That hurts more then my broken body but pisses me off enough to give me the will to go on just to show then what it was and can be again.
I relive that day when i was 11 over and over.the next day i was with my mom 20 miles away living on main street in town.But i came back and never left .Those 2 years were the best time ever a kid living on a farm,playing out in the fields with the animals and running in the woods with the neighbor kids.They say you can't go back,but trying and remembering makes you feel good.
I will keep posting my progress as it happens.and thanks for the kind words they will help me go on and feel better knowing i got some support too.

AND hello to all my friends here , now you know were i have been.I will post some gun pictures again too.! got hooked on AR'S and built a couple dozen and got a few new old military rifles and a few rugers along the way too.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Johnny, that's quite the project, as well as a colorful back story! Is is safe to assume the deck faces your "range" we've seen in past pictures (across the little creek if memory serves?)

Rick C

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
That's behind my house i live in,but those targets are 400 yards to the left of this deck on the basement step side.and my trap deck is to the right if your on this new deck. The guy walking up the drive way with a shotgun is looking rite at my trap deck. I am going to put new targets up there and even have a 3 gun range in the old garden.the house behind the first picture shows how far away the deck is from the old house. I mite make a golf cart road between them.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
Between this and your shooting deck, I'm going to say you're a man that is not afraid of BIG jobs. You have my utmost respect. Good luck on all your projects

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
I'm sort of hooked now. Thanks for telling the story of that house and Good Luck with the stories yet to come. There's gonna be a lot of you built in to that place.

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
I will keep posting.rain has me inside doing the living room walls now. I got 1 wall done from wood i took off from my basement room divider wall.
thanks for all the good words and i hope it keeps me going.i need all the help i can get. :D

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
I went up to finish with the wood i had drying by the fan , it was junky stuff but i made it work . only had around the window done and 3 1' boards left to go , then noticed the tv and ended up on the couch for about 3 hours,nice nap though. so i decided to put the fan on the last 3 and do it today but didn't make it. :(
That window is even on both sides the picture makes it look shorter in the right side it ain't. :D

I clean every board doth sides with a 4" grinder with a 7" grinding pad on it (soft) and they look a lot better but it takes time cleaning that old wood and hoping it will work out.

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
Took MAX up today first time since i put the porch floor down over the weekend. I opened the door he gave me a funny look till i said go ahead ,after that he liked it He took a nap out there while i started cleaning up the after birth. then the rifleman came on and we quit.
Git 10 sheets of 1/2 plywood to panel the rest of the living room next

I LIKE IT TOO for junk wood i', happy :D (it's done)
I'm moving the steps back over by the skid loader side. and moving the railing around.the other side was to high to meany steps for a old man.

got that back wall done too.