Restore or not? 1953 Ruger Standard Model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Coup d'etat

Bearcat
Here ya go. You can see the amount of brown patina. The flat is on top.

Attachments

• IMG20230120150612.jpg
    IMG20230120150612.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 65

G2

Hunter
My opinion is that gun has Real World Patina, it does not look abused in any way, just well used,
Bill Ruger would pleased to see that gun in its current condition.
If it were mine I would be proud of it just the way it is. 👍👍👍

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
bottom line it is YOUR gun and nothing wrong with having something that is "nice", as noted above the "patina" is only the start of things to come. the BIG difference is in just what you have done to it, a reblue? if it LOOKS "reblued" then it is, but if a proper "restoration" done right, it will look like NEW and how it was when it was made, and if its done RIGHT,,, it will NOT look "reblued".....ask me how I know someday:cool::rolleyes:;)
Many years ago I had Dan restore a RST-4 Type 1A #2806 that was very similar to your gun. About a 60% gun at best, no pitting but lots
of patina. Dan worked his magic (all by hand) for the princely sum of $125.00 ;) :) and It looks like the day it came from the factory.
I'm glad I had her restored and I picked the right guy to do it, there is a big difference between a properly restored gun vs an average re-blued gun IMHO.

Per RENE, your gun is a Tapered ear 4 3/4", known serial #range - 43181 - 69372 & 80019 - 83368,around 30,000 made.
Chad Notes } "Some Collectors have also attempted to locate both sub-variations with the arbor flat on the top or bottom at the rear of the bolt."
like your gun. Your gun your choice.
Best
Terry