Response from Hamilton Bowen

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Don Lovel

Hunter
I inquired about the feasability of building an 8 shot Blackhawk into a birdshead grip frame and cut down barrel model
Here is an example of one of Mr Bowen's real fine 45 Colts done Birdshead
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/workshop.html#Sedgley45Vaquero

here is his reply in case you guys ever wondered about the cost involed with having him do a build for you.
Dear Sir:

Thanks for your inquiry.

Whether or not we could provide the work you contemplate depends on whether or not we can get the necessary two-piece grip frame in stainless from Power Custom. they do show it but until I hear from them won't know if they have them in stock or not. If not, it could be quite while until they run more as this is a low-demand item for them.

In the mean time, here is the course of action with catalog numbers we would recommend to produce your job. We do everything here in packaged form with added options:

1.) Cat. no. RS01 'Standard Issue' pkg....$375; this would provide tuning, a high-quality rear sight and an oversize base pin.
2.) Cat. no. B301 Shorten barrel to 4 inches...$275, including shortening the ejector housing/rod/spring and base pin head and drilling/tapping the new ejector rod screw hole. and re-installing the front sight. You may want to consider a better or more flexible front sight such as the Weigand Combat DX base with provision for interchangable blades per cat. no. B313.
3.) Cat. no. B440 Bisley-spur hammer installation...$95; at this writing, we cannot get stainless factory Bisley hammers so would have to use a blue one brushed out to resemble stainless--can't tell them apart. As long as it get a little oil on it once in a great while, it won't rust or tarninsh. Blue hammers traditionally have polished sides.
4.) Cat. no. B402/403 Provide/install Power Custom 2-pic. grip frame...from $550; price also depends on whether you need the straps ground and detailed for one-piece grips which add $100. According to the Power Custom website, stainless adds about $50 to the cost of their parts. In the alternative, if you are not a slave to one-piece grips, Ruger has made a birdshead grip frame in the past. Whether it is available now as parts remains to be seen--last time I tried to get them (a year ago), they were out of stock and had no plans to produce more. I would have to check with them to see if anything has changed.
5.) Cat. no. B250 Shoot for regulation...$75; necessary any time we remove a barrel or front sight.

As for grips, I would suggest you contact Roy Fishpaw at (434) 993-3470 and get on his waiting list. My guess is he is 8-12 mos. these days but his grips are worth the wait. You can deal directly with him.

Hope this will help; let me know if you have any questions. Thanks very much for your interest and kindly remarks about our handiwork.

Sincerely yours,

Hamilton S. Bowen
Bowen Classic Arms Corp.

From what he says here, I may have to give up on the Birdshead grip. My jeweler buddy did a recontour of a Vaquero grip frame that was really pretty, I may look into having him do one of those for me instead.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I think your biggest issue will be finding the birds head grip frame. When they were available you could get them from Midway and Brwonels.

Birds head grip frame $150 (you could go Lightning grip for $180 http://www.gungrip.com/items_558__Ruger.html)
Bisley blued hammer $33 (http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=251050&filter=ruger+bisley+hammer&catid=0)
Barrel cut to 5 inches by local gunsmith $75
Imitation stags from ebay I think around $25 (or you could go with the factory black http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ru32sisixbie.html)
So for just under $300 I converted my 32 single six to a birds head.

32custom3.jpg

Now I haven't tried to find out from Ruger if I could get the flat head style base pin and the short ejector rod housing. I've beeen thinking about cutting down a Single Six in 22/22mag though.

The guys at Powers told me they are not doing the birdshead contoured brass gripframes any longer but a guy can recontour one of their two piece gripframes into a birdshead configuration. The steel Powers two piece grip frame I just sold to Aggie01 was configured so a person could convert it into a birdshead fairly easily.

As far as Roy Fishpaw is concerned, he is still making grips but only for pre-existing customers and once you get a set of grips back feom Roy, you have to wait at least 6 months before you can send another gun in for grips.

Quality work does not come cheap in the custom revolver world. BUT, in almost every case I have dealt with, it is well worth the price and wait. JMHO of course.

Don Lovel

Hunter
additional note from Mr Bowen in my email this morning

P.S.: looked at my note to you yesterday and find I forgot to mention the Power Custom grip frames are designed to convert to round-butt form--the gun you cited at the website 'Workshop' section is an example. Probably adds about $50 or so to recontour the backstrap and repolish. Hope this will help in your deliberations. Thanks again for your interest. HSB

Don Lovel

Hunter
another comment from Mr Bowen

Dear Sir:

Thanks for yours of this AM.

I rather doubt there is any material difference in 6 and 8-shot Blackhawks other than cylinder bodies and hands.

Typically, we brush out the whole of a blue Bisley hammer to resemble stainless when we install them. Indistinguishable from stainless parts.

We can probably shorten a barrel to 3 3/4 or even 3 1/2 in. but you will have to use a factory or Belt Mtn. base pin with the short heads. You have very little extraction function at this length.

I am not entirely sure what you mean by 'magic' as there are some limits to what we can do with some guns. Most of our basic catalog offerings do not pretend to rehabilitate guns to presentation-grade standards though we try to attend to any obvious gaffes. Otherwise, there is no way to define the limits of the work very clearly. That said, we do pay particular attention to grip frame fit.

Hope this will help. Thanks for your kindly remarks about the shop's handiwork.

Sincerely yours,

Hamilton S. Bowen
Bowen Classic Arms Corp

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I have had work done by Bowen Arms, yes he is expensive but I think he is one of the best guys in the business. His guns are not only functional, but works of art too.

Don Lovel

Hunter
That is why I would really like to have him do this one for me. I have not seen a 8 shot model project from any of the well known craftsmen. It just has to be a fun gun to shoot done like this

Boxhead

Blackhawk
Don Lovel said:
That is why I would really like to have him do this one for me. I have not seen a 8 shot model project from any of the well known craftsmen. It just has to be a fun gun to shoot done like this

Not to take anything away from Hamilton (I own a couple of his builds) but I believe Alan Harton has done at least one. If not, it is a slam dunk for him to do so that I am certain.

Latest posts