Request advice on Alaskan 44

Help Support Ruger Forum:

captkatmai

Bearcat
Hey, I'm about to buy an SRH Alaskan 44. Is there any problems with them that required a fix from the factory? Should I be wary of particular serial numbers?
Thanks,
Chris

Stoots

Buckeye
I could be wrong, but to my knowledge, no problems.

After all, it's a SRH with the barrel cut off at the shroud and no scope ring cuts. Not like it required new tooling or was a new design. It's a proven gun.

Again, some of the others may have other info.

:D

certified angus

Bearcat
I have one, like it a lot. Very well balanced and is suprisingly easy on recoil.
Mine did have to go back to Ruger though, as three of the chambers were too tight for a couple of different brands of ammo. Got it back and it is fine.

captkatmai

Bearcat
Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna do this. Now that it's legal to carry in the National Parks I'll be sportin some bling. I love my Red Hawk but it's just too big to conceal. Thanks again,
Chris

markallen

Bearcat
I have had mine for a year now, and it is my favorite revolver.
I did have a slight problem with the front cylinder latch, it was sticking. I chased a file around the front latch pin, it was either out of round, or somehow peened, and it's been 100% since then.

alaskancarry.jpg

captkatmai

Bearcat
Awesome! As long as the innards are OK I'm good with tinking with it.
I really shouldn't wield a 7 1/2" BBL around with my passenger riding on
my plane so it seems like it's a good move trading in my RedHawk for a
pocket rocket. There's bears out there in them thar woods and now I'm
legal in the national parks.
Alaskan Pilot ready to pack!
Thanks, Brah.

Brian-M

Bearcat
:D Have the Alaskan in 44 Mag. Best fit and finsih of any Ruger I have owned. On par with S&W. The grip makes shooting 44 Mags very comfortable.

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
captkatmai":k5rq7mph said:
Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna do this. Now that it's legal to carry in the National Parks I'll be sportin some bling. I love my Red Hawk but it's just too big to conceal. Thanks again,
Chris

I just want to point out that a Tommy's Gunpack size Large works fine for the Alaskan, tho the width of the cylinder means you can't carry a lot of extra stuff in the other pockets. I carry with the pack just forward of my left hip for instant access, and can easily use a backpack without problems, if the pack is kept a little low to clear the waist strap of the backpack.

http://www.tommysgunpack.com/

For the woods the standard pack is fine, but if you decide to use one daily, the Elite is far superior and worth the extra $$. All these packs are often on sale.... sign up for their newsletters and you will soon see a good deal.

Enjoy your pocket howitzer.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have a alaskan and really enjoy it mine is in the 454 though. it's just a bit better than the 44 in my opinion. I have a simply rugged holster for mine and it works great. It's almost sutible for concealed carry just a little bulky especially when I have the sp101 and a mod 36 cheif's special they kind of win out in that catagory but the alaskan and the simply rugged is a close second. You give up some power with the short bbls but I figure the 454 in the alaskan is probably about equal to a 44 mag in a bigger gun just with a bigger bullet. If I were to be getting one and had the option I would concider going with the 454 for the added power and the option of using 45 colts as a weaker load kind of like the 357 38 interchangeability especially if bear were in the picture.

captkatmai

Bearcat
Good point, Tommy. Thanks. I'll look into it, bang for buck. Yeah, I'm talking bear country... ya know... where that nut case got eaten a few years ago??
Same neighborhood. That bear was killed with a 9mm and a sh**ing ranger.

batmann

Single-Sixer
Get one, you will love it. I have one and it has become my favorite revolver. Holsters, RugerDoug and I must be thinking alike,I too have the same holsters he has.
Oh, forgot to add, I changed grips from the Hogue's that came on it to the older style Letts. Ruger now has them on their web site, but you will need the grip placement pin as well. I haven't noticed any difference in felt recoil and they fit my hand better.

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
captkatmai":3954qfhx said:
I'm not fumbling with a zipper in bear country.
I think I'll go with this holster...
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... rm1&Go.x=0

By law you have to carry concealed in National Parks, and that is what I was responding to in my post - that rig you linked isn't suitable unless you wear it under a jacket, maybe.

You don't "fumble with a zipper" with a Tommy's Gunpack - you snap the quick release buckle and pull out - it is pretty quick..... and the gun is fully concealed, even if you are wearing tee shirt and shorts in mid-August and walking around the NP visitor center..

John Davies
Spokane WA.

markallen

Bearcat
That is an old style factory GP100 Compact grip, with SP101 grips inserts from .41 Magnum on this forum.
The grip was purchased new from Brownells. I don't know if they are still available.

captkatmai

Bearcat
Man, I'm not seeing any snaps, only zippers. It may be OK but it's not
advertised well enough to convince me of that. Simply Rugged Pancake looks plenty good for conceal carry.
Thanks everybody, for the help.

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
captkatmai":1ktkr584 said:
Man, I'm not seeing any snaps, only zippers. It may be OK but it's not advertised well enough to convince me of that. Simply Rugged Pancake looks plenty good for conceal carry.

Well, maybe "snap" was the wrong word to use - you unclip the deployment buckle then yank, and that makes the zippers spread. There are no snaps. Here's a video:
http://www.tommysgunpack.com/Articles.asp?ID=145

I'm curious why you think how a product is advertised has ANYTHING to do with its quality.

BTH I have a Simply Rugged chest holster and it is fine, you won't go wrong with the Pancake.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Latest posts