Request advice on Alaskan 44

Help Support Ruger Forum:

captkatmai

Bearcat
I never mentioned quality. Actually it looks extremely well made. By what I saw on the web site they didn't portray (advertise) it as quick deploy. Accessibility is pretty important to me. Your new link will probably clear that up. I'll check it out. A horizontal shoulder holster would be my first choice considering my work duties and it being more out of the way but I'm not finding a good one. I'll look deeper into this one too...
http://www.davidjohnstonleather.com/Pages/Holsters.html
Thanks again.

I can't see an advantage of the Tommy pack over a Wilderness Safepacker. The WS was developed for people that were going to be "in the wilderness." People that were going to be doing rescue and rappelling. From there it has evolved into something city people use as well.

I've been using a WS for my daily CCW for about five years now. Every day with the same one and it is still in great shape. Most of the time I carry it on my belt. In the summer when I don't have a belt, I put it on the fanny pack snap on belt. In the winter when I'm wearing a heavy coat I sometimes put a carry strap onto the two loops and then carry it diagonally across my body like a shoulder holster.

To open one, there is a large plastic snap on the outside. Unsnap, then the outer flap will go up and you reach inside. The gun is all the way down in the pocket so it can't come out. If I was "seeing bears," I would probably go ahead and unsnap while I was fishing. Then it would be that much faster if I had to draw. As I said, I carry mine for CCW every day with it snapped. I was told years ago that the "standard" was 1.5 seconds to draw and fire the first shot. I can do that with the snap engaged. When you are in a hurry, the whole front of the "pocket" is velcro. You grab the gun and rip it forward and everything "let's go."

They are available in a wide variety of sizes as well.

I think I bought mine direct from Wilderness. Dillon sells them. So does Midway.

http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51

Gregg