Reproduction accessories on original milsurps?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Elfego El Gato

Single-Sixer
As some of you may remember, I bought my first milsurp not so long ago: An Arisaka Type 99, Series 30 Japanese WWII rifle, 7.7x58mm, in really nice, probably unfired, condition (well, if it was unfired when I bought it, that situation has been remedied... by me! :D)

For Christmas, my Mom bought me the matching bayonet for the rifle: A Type 30 with scabbard, made by National Denki (my rifle is Toyo Kogyo manufacture, but this factory didn't produce bayonets; so, I asked around and it seems that National Denki is the "right" bayonet for a Series 30).

Now, after spending about $300 for the rifle and $125 for the bayonet, it turns out that the two leather accesories I'm currently lacking - a rifle sling and a bayonet frog - would cost exponentially more than the rifle and bayonet combined, if I were to buy originals.

So, what are your thoughts about buying reproductions of these leather accessories? As I shoot this rifle, I've already ordered a sling, just because I need it to steady myself while shooting. But, although the reviews say it's a nice reproduction, fact is that it's not original. It'll complete the look and be functional, but it will not add to the collector value of the rifle.

Would you spend more than the cost of the rifle for the appropriate sling? Even though I understand that leather is far less likely to survive the years than forged steel and wood, I can't quite justify the expense in my mind.

I'm very interested in what others think about this -- So, please, chime in!

Tough one.

Would you restore your early '60's Corvette with "repops" or go for real, genuine, actual, period-correct Chevy parts?

Only you can answer the question of what the actual value is to you . . . a totally accurate, all-original piece, or a representative approximation for general understanding and appreciation.

This is why I avoid true "collecting".
;)

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
A repro sling is fine since you're shooting the rifle. You don't want to hang that rifle off your shoulder only to hear it hit the ground because an old original sling falied. BTW, I've never seen an arisaka for sale with a sling.

I'd get an original frog to go with that original bayonet. The bayonet is more of a display item and it's just not right to pair an original bayonet with a repro frog.