Replaing XR3 Grip Frame on 50th Ann. with XR3-RED

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hutchman

Blackhawk
I have large hands so the stock grips on the 50th Ann. Blackhawks are too small for comfortable shooting. I decided to replace the stock grip frame with an XR3-RED grip frame from a NM Blackhawk. I found an add here on RF from member gooseman179, who needed one of these Ann. grip frames for a grip pattern, and a deal was struck.

Today I went to my good friend's, member robertscheib, house to do the change. I was too cold in my garage and Bob is a great friend, so it made sense. He also did the filing, so it was a double good afternoon!

Anyway, what I found when the 357 was taken apart was a difference in the grip frame and the cylinder frame. The NM Blackhawk grip frame looks like this:

742222387_eLVgD-M.jpg

Notice the lugs on the grip frame. They are not there on the Ann. Model grip frame, nor are there reliefs cut in the cylinder frame.

742223138_A8Xnj-M.jpg

Not a very good picture, but I hope you can see there is no relief in this frame. So to make the grip frame work, we had to file the lugs off resulting in this:

742222648_KkCsd-M.jpg

In the end, it went together and fit pretty good:

742222860_tJ6ao-M.jpg

Those of you with keen eyes will notice the mismatch between the ears of the grip frame and the cylinder frame. To fix this, the cylinder frame needs to be matched to the grip frame. If the grip frame is relieved enough to match the cylinder frame, the mounting holes would no longer match up. We did use Bob's NM Blackhawk for a reference in this area and noted Bob's stock gun has a worse mismatch than this from the factory. So for now it will be OK. Maybe the next gun smith project will be to match this.

742222939_534Ab-M.jpg

Anyway I am happy with the results and plan to eventually purchase a set of American Holly grips from BearPaw Grips for this 357. I think they will really set it off.

I know there are many more knowledgeable people on this board who will learn nothing from this, but I thought it might help someone who might not be as experienced.........like me!

flatgate

Hawkeye
Yup, the height of the cylinder frame has been increased.

50thShooterLR.jpg

Here's my efforts to obtain a "comfortable" grip frame on the 50th Anniv. .44.....

flatgate

flatgate

Hawkeye
hutchman":12endw4e said:
I eventually want to do a 44 mag like yours. I really like the way you rounded trigger guard!

Thanks for the compliments. I need to get that OM cylinder tightened up.

The Bisley hammer sports a half cock notch, as well.

The cylinder latch is retimed so it'll never ring the cylinder again....

Most of my New Models are modified in a similar fashion.

flatgate

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Since everyone else is chiming in with what they did to their .44 anny flatties, I'll throw mine in the mix. The elusive brass bisley.
DSCN0850.jpg

REP1954

Blackhawk
hutchman, I just did the same change but not for grip size but for wieght decrease. I am going to weld up the ears on the grip frame to get a match. Every where else I need to remove material to match my frame. I'm going to deck the flats down to the size of the old XR3 frame that came on the gun.

hutchman

Blackhawk
I've got a set of Am Holly grips coming for this one now and think that I am going to enjoy it the way it is. The mismatch is better than some of the factory fittings I have seen, so I will leave it the way it is for while.

This is my first real attempt at building a somewhat "custom" Blackhawk and it pleases me! When I get the grips, I think I'll do a "Budget Custom Blackhawk" build thread, with all the mods done to this one.

And they were all done at home!

I really would like to do a 44 like Flatgate's.....except for mine, I would like to install a non-fluted cylinder.....

That may be a ways in the future though, as I already have spent my gun budget up through about 2013!

tek4260

Buckeye
101_1091.jpg

Might as well post some too...

Flatgate,

Can you post some pics of the hammer with the halfcock notch to get an idea of location. I would assume that it would catch as the locking bolt drops. Does it serve a purpose as well or is it just for an extra click :D

Also, is there a chance of it catching as the hammer falls on guns like mine with minimal sear engagement and light springs??? I know that I have had to remove the safety notch from the hammer on Colts and clones to keep them from catching once the trigger was lightened enough to suit my tastes.

Latest posts