Replacement sights for a Ruger Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chickenlips

Bearcat
I have a Security Six made in about 1982. It has an after market rear sight and I've managed to break the sight blade off. Based on reading through all the threads here and googling, it appears that Ruger no longer sells parts for this revolver and Millett is no longer in business and the Millett rear sight is no longer manufactured.

The only thing I've found is a tritium sight made by XS Sight Systems but there are rather expensive and I have no experience with the company.

Does anyone have any ideas where I can still get sights for this pistol?

Thanks,
James

chickenlips

Bearcat
hittman":2mlftzgr said:
Maybe put a WTB (Want To Buy) ad in the Classified section.
And, welcome to the Forum.

Thanks hittman for the welcome. That is definitely worth a try if I don't get bite here. I just can't believe I've managed to break my favorite pistol!

James

45flattop

Single-Sixer
Millett isn't out of business but the Millett family did sell it to Bushnell
so the sights and components should be still available

http://www.millettsights.com/

Update, it does appear that Millett may no longer make a rear sight
for a Security Six after all, though Brownell's catalog seems to show
them as available in the latest catalog but that is as of August 2009
however Hamilton Bowen does make one that is still available, here
is the link:

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/Parts_R ... Sights.htm

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
I probably have a half dozen Security Six sights I've collected over the years. Never did like the factory sights. Let me know if you can't find one local.

chickenlips

Bearcat
dbarale":f09ig4yn said:
I could be wrong but you should still be able to get a factory rear sight from Ruger...

One of the threads here on sights for the security six said that Ruger no longer has parts for the security six. Still, it might be worth calling them just to be sure.

James

chickenlips

Bearcat
45flattop":2znyx7c3 said:

I'd heard of Bowen and had searched their site but didn't find anything on the security six, however, your link took me right to the sights.

I gave them a call and they helped me id which version of the sight I needed. Very nice people. My new sight is on the way!

I really appreciate this 45flattop!

James

chickenlips

Bearcat
rkrcpa":33k3pwyl said:
I probably have a half dozen Security Six sights I've collected over the years. Never did like the factory sights. Let me know if you can't find one local.

Sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman! I sincerely appreciate the offer. I was able to order one from Bowen so I'm good.

I was worried for a while. This pistol is 30 years old. I bought it as young man and as my first gun so I have a real attachment for it. I was concerned that no one carried parts for it anymore. Nice to know there are options.

Anyway, thanks!

James

swoter

Bearcat
Just so you know, a GP100 rear sight blade will fit a Security-Six sight. You do have to file the bump off though. These blades come in two different heights. I think the rear sight blades are interchangable with the Blackhawks and Single-six's also. The 1976 Security-Six I just bought came without a rear sight blade and I ordered a high and a low from Ruger last week. Put the high on today.

chickenlips

Bearcat
swoter":33yws5sj said:
Just so you know, a GP100 rear sight blade will fit a Security-Six sight. You do have to file the bump off though. These blades come in two different heights. I think the rear sight blades are interchangable with the Blackhawks and Single-six's also. The 1976 Security-Six I just bought came without a rear sight blade and I ordered a high and a low from Ruger last week. Put the high on today.

Apparently Ruger changed the sights on the Security Six. I have a 1981 Security Six and it has the hump. From your description, it sounds as if the GP100 sight might fit the Ruger's with the hump without modification.

swoter

Bearcat
That may be, I I'll have to look at mine again, but pretty sure it did not use the hump. Wouldn't be the first time I messed up, won't be the last either.

chickenlips

Bearcat
swoter":3oliovmo said:
That may be, I I'll have to look at mine again, but pretty sure it did not use the hump. Wouldn't be the first time I messed up, won't be the last either.

When I called Bowen, the gunsmith specifically asked me about the hump. I had to take my old broken sight out of the gun to see if my Ruger had a hump or not. Actually, it's a matching depression on the Ruger for the hump on the sight. The Bowen link shows two different sights. One with the hump and one without.

My Ruger Security Six requires the New Model Field Sight, which has a hump.

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/Parts_R ... Sights.htm

I've received the new sight. It seems to be very well made.

I tried to install the new sight, but it was a very tight fit. When I tried to raise the sight, the height screw popped out and the detent ball is now under the height adjustment screw. I had to order a very tiny Allen wrench to remove the spring for the detent ball so I can reset it. I'm waiting on the Allen wrench.

Either way, it's nice to know the GP100 sight will fit.

James

swoter

Bearcat
It took me about a half hour to get the sight blade in. It's a tight fit, and the spring inside for the windage adjustment did not want to keep out of the way. I double checked my Security-six, and it does not have the cut-out for the hump in the sight base. My Blackhawk and Single-six both do.

Alpha426

Bearcat
Chickenlips, Are these the types of front sights you're looking for?

Ruger%20Front%20Sights%20002.jpg

PM me the height.

chickenlips

Bearcat
Alpha426 said:
Chickenlips, Are these the types of front sights you're looking for?

No Alpha426, I'm referring to the rear sight. It's interesting though. Will all of these front sights fit the Security Six?

Here's quick picture of the broken sight and the location on the pistol. You can see the hump on the tang.

img_1569-300x225.jpg

I got my new little tiny Allen wrench in the mail today. I'll have to reset the detent ball and try to install the new sight.

James

Alpha426

Bearcat
I must be dyslexic. The front sights are for the Six revolvers to regulate POA/POI for elevation. Are these what you're looking for? I only have black blades.

Ruger%20Rear%20Sight%20Blade.jpg

chickenlips

Bearcat
Alpha426 said:
I must be dyslexic. The front sights are for the Six revolvers to regulate POA/POI for elevation. Are these what you're looking for? I only have black blades.

My Six has an aftermarket rear sight and it doesn't use a flat sight blade. Here's a picture of the original aftermarket sight with the broken sight piece.

dsc_0006-300x200.jpg

I finally have the new Bowen sight installed. It took me a little while. The tang slot on the Ruger was just a tiniest bit too tight so I carefully filed out the width and installed the new sight.

dsc_0007-300x200.jpg

I finally got my Six back. Time to go shooting! Thanks everyone for the information.

James