Repairing deep dents in grip panel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
In preparation to refinish grips with a large dent in one panel, I understand one good solution is to use steam and heat to swell out the wood.

If this doesn't work, and in my particular case, it has not, I'm assuming some sort of filler should be used.

If I'm correct, what would you use for filling in walnut before applying stain/finish?

Snake45

Hawkeye
How are you using the steam? I've never had it fail, even on some VERY deep dents. Are you sure it's not a gouge?

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
Put a damp terry cloth rag over the dent and press a hot iron on the rag for a few seconds.Repeat if necessary.It should take all or most of the dent out.Then proceed with your finish work.

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
snake45, sorry I've been away from my computer all day. I have had some limited success using the procedure as Short Barrel has suggested, however, that was the first time I had ever done it. It did help a little but didn't get it all out.

I will try it again, a little more gingerly. We'll see what happens. I'll report back when I get this done.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Yeah, that's the way to do it (I thought maybe you'd just been holding it up in front of a steamkettle, or something). No need to be "gingerly" with this technique. Slam that steam down in there, and repeat as necessary. If it won't raise eventually, it was prolly a gouge in the first place.