Removing finish on NMBH Grip/ERH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stubshaft

Bearcat
I have a NMBH that has small chips/bare areas on the frame and ERH. I was wondering what the quickest or easiest way was to remove the finish. Next step is wet-or-dry sandpaper.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

mountain_cowboy

Bearcat
Lowe's sells a spray on stripper for epoxy and baked on finishes. It's over by the other paint strippers. Take off the frame and ejector rod housing. Hang them up OUTSIDE, and spray them down good. The finish will almost immediately start to bubble up. Let it sit for five minutes or so, then brush away the paint with a stiff plastic bristled brush. You may have to re-do it a few times to get it all. A dental pick and toothpicks are useful for getting the stubborn parts from the hard to reach places.

Most importantly, use chemical-resistant gloves, eye protection, and either a respirator or do it outside with good ventilation. The stuff makes it easy, but it's some strong stuff.

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
just a personal opiniion, I replaced the aluminum erh and gripframe with steel. two blue vaqueros. gripframes and ejecter rods and housing changed out.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
That stuff from lowes works great on 10/22 receivers also...takes it off F-A-S-T...as in oh my gosh I hope I don't get any of this crap on my skin fast.

Can go from bad finish to prepping new one in like 15 minutes!