Removing finish on 10-22, and how to refinish questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hemiallen

Bearcat
Hello

My son wants to take on of my old 10-22's and put a bull barrel, replacement stock and automotive paint the wood laminated stock. A friend does flames , and is one of California's best at it and will cut him a deal of a lifetime.

He wants to strip the action ( aluminum) and I suggested to ask the people who have done it what issues were found. I suspect chemical stripping the paint is the best, but do the actions have porosity, or will he be able to polish and maybe clearcoat it?

Thanks for any suggestions

Allen

kimberguy2004

Bearcat
I stripped mine with paint remover and scotch-brite. Any of the metal finishes will work. Anodizing is hit or miss. Mine came back looking pink.. Needless to say I had to fix that.. Gunkote is a good finish, airbrushes very easily and bakes at 300 degree to cure. Duracoat is also good, but it needs a 3-4 week cure time..

hemiallen

Bearcat
Thank you very much.

I did find a thread a few pages back about paint, and just realized mine is anodized.

Thanks for the input, sounds like silver epoxy like you suggest may be best.

Allen

Aggie01

Blackhawk
I stripped mine with 400 grit sandpaper and duracoat cleared it and baked it. It left the black anodize in the letters on the side, which goes nicely with the white filled letters on my TacSol barrel.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
I use a wheel and brush to strip it fast on the outside and then hit it with Orange paint stripper to get the rest.

You will have to watch it when repainting the Trigger group in that the added tolerence of the paint will make things too tight in 3 spots....
the dowel holes
trigger plunger hole
and the magazine release plunger hole.

The tolerances of the reciever aren't enough to worry about like the trigger group...however you will not want to paint inside the hole where the barrel meets up.

In other words...if it is round....take care not to paint inside it.

Aside from these pointers a 10/22 refinish job is a LOT of fun. Folks over at rimfirecentral.com take it to a whole new level