Remington leaving Ilion, NY

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Apparently,, lawmakers do NOT care if they put businesses out of work when it comes to the firearm business. They do not care about the people that are losing their jobs. All they care about is trying to destroy gun makers & freedom lovers. Just read what the NY leadership has publicly stated.

Many years ago,, I said that not only was Bill Ruger a genius when it came to making firearms,, he was also smart enough to build a new plant in a place that was more gun friendly. Az. And now,, they also have a plant in NC. Places where the unions, and anti-gunners have much less influence.

Several gun makers are finally deciding to relocate because of the hostile environment.

hittman

Staff member
A double whammy ….. NY politics and union influence. Of course, those go hand in hand.

I don't understand why union bashing is allowed in the lounge.

This thread is obviously turning political, and doesn't belong here.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
Certainly, the politics was a part f the problem, but it is mostly the scapegoat diverting attention away from the fact that Remington was badly mismanaged for decades. It would have been forced in to some drastic changes, politics or no politics.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
Certainly, the politics was a part of the problem, but it is mostly the scapegoat diverting attention away from the fact that Remington was badly mismanaged for decades. It would have been forced in to some drastic changes, politics or no politics.

Simple truth is Remington was poorly managed for decades. Regardless of attempts to restrict firearms ownership Remington was bound to fail.

Think about it. Other firearms manufacturers have succeeded while some old line companies have failed.

I like my Remingtons but comparing my 700, 870 & 1100 (heck they made southpaw versions when almost no one else did) to recent products shows a world of difference in fit and finish all while increasing cost to consumers.

Um, while anything about NY and it's lawmakers may be true, in this case, it's another reason. VIsta Outdoor, who makes Remington, CCI, and I think Federal, is selling all of their firearm business to a government owned company in Czechoslavakia. Even if they go to Ga, it will only be temporary.

Last edited:
Vista, accumulated a bunch of eggs, and put them all in one basket, then dropped the basket. Thankfully Ruger saved Marlin, but is a shame to see those other companies go overseas.

KIR

Sparks, NV
In defense of Remington: When my wife passed, she previously said, don't grieve, go out and get yourself a new gun. When my son came home from the army, I took him to Cabelas and since Ruger and others had stopped making semi-auto rifles in .22 Mag, I was lucky enough to find a Remmie 597m that did have some problems, but after some research fixed them with a new Volquartsen Extractor and taking apart the magazines and giving them a good cleaning. Off topic, I know, but I do that a lot...
As for them leaving New York, good, as NY does not deserve them.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I'm a NYer so this hurts for me. Having said that, it makes no difference to me now.

After buying Remington guns and ammo and having nothing but problems EVERY time with EVERY product, I said good riddance to anything marked Remington about 15 years ago. You couldn't give that stuff to me for free.

The bottom line is that it's not about NY or not about Unions.

Um, while anything about NY and it's lawmakers may be true, in this case, it's another reason. VIsta Outdoor, who makes Remington, CCI, and I think Federal, is selling all of their firearm business to a government owned company in Czechoslovakia. Even if they go to Ga, it will only be temporary.
Joe Vista is selling the ammunition business to a government owned Czech company. RemArms is a separate company now. Vista like Caberras Capital is a holding company. I suspect the Czech company is the same type of company. 2/3 of the domestic ammunition manufacture will be controlled by a foreign country. BTW the Czech company already owns a large part of Fiocchi.

That makes sense, as I read about the sale in an ammo thread. Thank you for the clarification. I don't use Remington ammo anyway, and my only hope is that CCI and Federal don't drop to that level of quality. Except for my Federal "Punch" defese rounds, I think I'll stick to Aguila where I can.