Remington Golden Bullets Rant

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Never had any problems with Remington ammo either. New or old. In the last two weeks my daughter was out here and she just more or less burns ammo in a variety of rifles and pistols. We went through a bucket of Goldens and a brick of Thunderbolts. Maybe 10 FTF in the whole ordeal

Snake45

Hawkeye
gtxmonte said:
We went through a bucket of Goldens and a brick of Thunderbolts. Maybe 10 FTF in the whole ordeal
That's consistent with my long-term dud rate of 1-2% with Rem GBs. Not enough experience with Turdbolts to come up with number.

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
You guys can pack up all of your Remington ammo and send it to me because I have not seen any 22 RF for over a year. I can provide my address upon request. :) TD

chg

Bearcat
I've had a 33 1/3% failure to fire using Remington .22 lr in all my guns. Several S&W revolvers, 4 Rugers, and 1 CZ. At first I thought it was the gun, an older 4 screw S&W where I got 2 misfires out of a cylinder full. It continued on through every .22 lr I own. This started 5 years ago and I have not purchased any Remington ammo since with one exception. A friend was going to Lewiston, asked if I needed anything and I told him, yes if you find any .22s get all you can. I now have a bucket of 1400 too. Have not tried them yet.

CCIs have always been my favorite and also favorites in my guns but availability of any .22 lr is hit and miss so it's whatever comes along. Failure rate with CCIs is less than 1/brick. Accuracy great. Funny thing is several friends and a relative work at CCI in the rimfire division and each claims they sometimes package .22lr ammo in Remington boxes. If they are I hope it's not the culls I've been trying to shoot.

Cholo

Staff member
I hear you, CA. I never considered the GB's to be junk bullets per se, just not the best by any means. I hope that it was simply a single brick that was slightly out of spec. Time will tell...

pps

Single-Sixer
I've not had too much problems with GB's in the past, but the last batch I bought was about 7 years ago. Just finished out that pack with no problems. The Thunderbolts (picked up 1k of those last year because it's the first stuff I saw on the shelves locally in years.... CRAP CRAP CRAP.

I've been shooting mostly cc1, fed bulk pack and fed match auto. no issues.

TomV

Bearcat
I have had many problems with RGB in regular magazine fed pistols. They usually jam (failure to feed) at least twice every mag (I have 7 mags) in my Ruger MK III. However, I have not had a problem in the rotary magazines of my Ruger 10/22. The RGB is accurate in all my 22s though. I would imagine that bolt actions rifles might not have a problem, whereas the semi-autos may. Also, I have had several fail to fire cartridges in every trip to the range. To me, they are not worth the cost savings and barely better than nothing. However, if that is all that is available, then......

ranger1

Buckeye
Remington 1400 round Golden Bullet buckets are up at Cabela's are up right now, $89.99, limit 1.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/rimfire-ammunition%7C/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104536080/remington-reg-22-lr-hv-ammo-bucket/1426039.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Frimfire-ammunition%2F_%2FN-1100192%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104536080

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Cholo said:
Precision32, it was with all 3 guns, not just one. All 3 fired everything without a single malfunction 2 weeks ago and every time before that. The only difference was that this time it was with a recent box of the Rem GB's. I wish that all my RF's had ideal firing pins. I believe that there's something out of spec. with, hopefully, that one box. I knew something was amiss as soon as I tried to load the Bearcat. Thanks for the response.

Kevin, I hadn't bought any Rem. GB's since the 70's. Then I recently came across about 4,500 of them, new manufacture, at a price I was willing to live with. The new ones were the ones I was shooting yesterday.

It's really is a shame that, back in the day, Remington was our "go-to" .22 rimfire ammunition. My buddy and I burned a ton of Remington .22 rimfire in our Nylon 66 rifles on squirrels, cotton-tail and rats in the local open pit dump. These days, it seems Remington .22 rimfire isn't worth the match to set it on fire with. I'll try some now and then, but I, for one, do not accept the baloney involved with a firing pin issue as being the cause for faulty rim hits and lack of primer detonation. Case in point:

This is a Remington Thunderbolt round, hit solidly, FOUR times with a perfect shaped firing pin tip. No noise what-so-ever from that round. No, I agree, until something drastically changes, I'll not purchase, or recommend, any Remington .22 rimfire despite how much smoke is blown from the other direction.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I told you above, the Rem GB duds have NO primer in them anywhere. The same is apparently true of Turdbolt duds, too.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I have had mixed results with the RGB's My 10' Match Contender barrel,0% FTF and quite accurate . 3/8" @50 yards.
KMK III512 0% FTF and accurate , Under 1/2" at 35 yards with optics.
KMK III Hunter 10% FTF or split case head. Accuracy was good when they fired but FTF and split case heads made them un acceptable for that gun.
KMKII Comp Target 100% function and fire 1.5" @50 yards.
Ruger 10/22 100% function and good accuracy
S&W Mod 17 100% fire rate but tight putting the rounds in the cylinder.
Note ; I measured several brands of 22 ammo at the driving band and the RGB's ran .225 pretty consistently. So if you have a tight or dirty chamber it can be a problem with this round.
My go to plinking round is CCI Blazers , but they are hard to find now.
RGB's in my opinion are OK for cheap ammo for plinking. They work well out the Contender for hunting ammo .
Every gun is different and each 22 will have it's own preference for ammo and you will not know until you try various brands of ammo in that gun !!

Snake45

Hawkeye
JStacy said:
S&W Mod 17 100% fire rate but tight putting the rounds in the cylinder.
You might need to scrub your chambers out with something like a USGI M16 bore brush. OR you might have a Smith 17 with undersized/unpolished chambers, a known problem that many, MANY shooters have had. I had to send a 4" 17 back to the factory for this about 20 years ago when extraction became almost impossible. They fixed it free and returned it in less than two weeks, and it's worked absolutely perfectly ever since--one of my very favorite revolvers of any kind or caliber.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
I don't like the Thunderbolts. They're just too dirty, even before putting them in a gun!
Having said that, I have never had a Thunderbolt or a Golden fail in my 10/22's or SR22's.
The Goldens have never been from a big bulk bucket, though, so maybe that has something to do with the quality?
I've often wondered if the makers put their "seconds" into those big bulk ammo buckets, and keep the good ones for the more standard 50 and 100 packs.

Snake45

Hawkeye
rugerguy211 said:
I don't like the Thunderbolts. They're just too dirty, even before putting them in a gun!
Having said that, I have never had a Thunderbolt or a Golden fail in my 10/22's or SR22's.
The Goldens have never been from a big bulk bucket, though, so maybe that has something to do with the quality?
I've often wondered if the makers put their "seconds" into those big bulk ammo buckets, and keep the good ones for the more standard 50 and 100 packs.
I have some Rem .22s from the '70s that look identical to today's Golden Bullets. I don't recall ever having a FTB with any of them, even though some have been stored in an unheated garage and subject to extreme high and low temperatures for over 40 years now.

The newer stuff, OTOH, very consistent 1-2% dud rate.

Up until about 2008, most .22 ammo was fairly good. About that time, with the first wave of "famine" and hoarding, I believe the mfgrs began letting through ammo lots that they wouldn't have previously. For example, before then, I had never had a FTB with the Federal Walmart bulk stuff. After that it was so bad that you had to buy it by lot numbers to be sure you weren't getting crap.

I still haven't shot any of the new production Rem 22lr. Son's co-worker with twin boys who like to shoot has a standing order with his "enablers" for 22 ammo. He's buying at a price point and I know for certain Son bought him 3 buckets of current production Rem GB. I haven't heard any derogatory comments from that sector. I'm pretty sure they're running the ammo through a pair of 10-22's with fairly high round counts.

ranger1

Buckeye
ranger1 said:
Remington 1400 round Golden Bullet buckets are up at Cabela's are up right now, $89.99, limit 1.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/rimfire-ammunition%7C/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104536080/remington-reg-22-lr-hv-ammo-bucket/1426039.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Frimfire-ammunition%2F_%2FN-1100192%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104536080
They're back, with a limit of "5" now.

Latest posts